5.45x39 FMJ 69 Grain Ammo?

Sgammo has "1080 Round Case - 5.45x39 FMJ 69 grain Steel Case Non-Corrosive Ammunition - Red Army Standard Made in Ukraine - AM1921B" (http://www.sgammo.com/product/red-army-standard/1080-round-case-545x39-fmj-69-grain-steel-case-non-corrosive-ammunition-re)

How does this ammo compare to 7n6 surplus? Is it likely to be banned like the 7n6 surplus? (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/93395-545-ammo-never-available-again/)

7n6 ammo is 53gr, so I don't know why they use the word "standard" to describe 69gr. oh wait, yes I do, it's just a marketing ploy into making you believe that it's military.

here is the break down of the different 5.45 ammo gr weight, there is no such animal as 69gr 5.45, in the military bullet weight

3.2 g (49 gr) 5N7 FMJ mild steel core 915 m/s (3,000 ft/s) 1,340 J (990 ft·lbf)

3.43 g (53 gr) 7N6 FMJ hardened steel core 880 m/s (2,900 ft/s) 1,328 J (979 ft·lbf)

3.62 g (56 gr) 7N10 FMJ enhanced penetration 880 m/s (2,900 ft/s) 1,402 J (1,034 ft·lbf)

3.68 g (57 gr) 7N22 AP hardened steel core 890 m/s (2,900 ft/s) 1,457 J (1,075 ft·lbf)

5.2 g (80 gr) 7U1 subsonic for silenced AKS-74UB 303 m/s (990 ft/s) 239 J (176 ft·lbf)

The specs I saw on the RAS 5.45 were sad. It may have been a misprint but 2300 fps is sickly.

I've read 2460fps, but that's still pathetic for 5.45. That's around 7.62 range.

Really hope SG gets more GT in stock. Probably the closest we'll ever get to 7N6 again. On the plus side, at least it's non corrosive, so that somewhat justifies the price.

The specs I saw on the RAS 5.45 were sad. It may have been a misprint but 2300 fps is sickly.

I've read 2460fps, but that's still pathetic for 5.45. That's around 7.62 range.

Really hope SG gets more GT in stock. Probably the closest we'll ever get to 7N6 again. On the plus side, at least it's non corrosive, so that somewhat justifies the price.

Was wondering what GT is?

Everyone is on the GT traine. get off!! Dont assume that because its good in x39 that it will be like or close to 7N6 in 5.45. In this cal its about as good as wolf. Do some tests. It just punches neat little holes. If you want SD and cant get 7N6 get Hornady

• Like 1

Everyone is on the GT traine. get off!! Dont assume that because its good in x39 that it will be like or close to 7N6 in 5.45. In this cal its about as good as wolf. Do some tests. It just punches neat little holes. If you want SD and cant get 7N6 get Hornady

I haven't heard anyone claim that it was more effective at wounding. However, it is the cheapest commercially available 5.45 round, is at least as accurate that 7N6 (if not more accurate from what I've seen), and is at least sealed and lacquered. I have a comfortable amount of 7N6, so I couldn't be bothered spending $0.50/rd for Hornady and couldn't care less how good or bad GT's wound tract is. Once it's available again, I'll be using GT exclusively for range use and save the 7N6.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems as of these days there isn't really a good substitute for 7n6 matching it in performance and price. The GT and RAS both leave my rifle very dirty unlike the 7.62 GT which has very little residue. Thus this issue of expensive ammo , low fps, and excess fouling needs to be addressed.