Converting Saiga 12 AGP Gen 3, rock-and-lock mags to work in the new V

I just picked up the $799, folding stock, Vepr 12. I have a few untouched Saiga 12, AGP Gen 3, rock-and-lock 10 rounders, so I decided to convert them to work in the Vepr 12 instead.

I wanted to show you guy what I had to do to make them work in case anyone wants to attempt the same. The picture will be referring to the text above it.

The front lip/lug needs to be removed, obviously. I took it to just a hair or two past flush with the magazine.

post-45366-0-68399900-1397409237_thumb.jpg

The two ribs on the back of the magazine needs to be removed to be flush with the back of the mag.

post-45366-0-25485800-1397409251_thumb.jpg

This is where the LRBHO lever hangs. I took it about 90 degrees instead of the slope on the left side. (Mine isn't perfect in the picture)

post-45366-0-21368900-1397409258_thumb.jpg

Regarding the next two pictures. The rear wall of my magazine, right behind the real lip/lug, is a lot thicker than the factory 5 round vepr magazine that came with the gun and the LRBHO lever does not go past it.  I had to remove some material so that the lever could sit in an unengaged position. Be cause of this thicker wall my LRBHO will not engage on the follower.

post-45366-0-24071400-1397409271_thumb.jpg

post-45366-0-17201400-1397411030.jpg

Lastly, this is what kept my magazine such a snug fit. The material for the screw housing needs to be removed a couple hairs until the mag will smoothly go into the mag well.

post-45366-0-84425400-1397409286_thumb.jpg

The magazine fits very snug, but like I said, mine will not engage the LRBHO.

The mag also does not currently eject itself from the magwell when the mag release is pressed. However, Mullet Man suggests splitting the magazine and opening up/raising the follower channels, and this will fix that. I have yet to try it, but it appears legit. grimace.gif

I haven't had time to shoot the magazine, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Feel free to throw up any questions or comments. Hope this helps anyone that wants to attempt this!

exciting.gif

Edited by Skoodge
  • Like 1

Good write up. When I get my vepr12 thats ordered I may attempt to get adeal and the saiga12 mag my local dealer has and try this. Is there any reason about any saiga mag couldnt be modded in this same fashion?

Thanks. I'd think most saiga 12 mags can be modified to work in a magwell. I will probably try to modify my SGM mag someday soon. I tried the AGP mags first because Jack at JT Engineering said the vepr magwell had very similar specs to the AGP magwell, so the AGP mag should work fairly easily.

• 4 months later...

I modified a AGP mag today.  The two spots that it rubs on the magwell are the two upper screw points on the magazine.  I sanded them pretty good.  I was trying to be cautious on sanding too much off and removing material until the screw shank was showing.  The bolt hold open is totally recessed into the magazine.  I don't see anyway it could be modified to work.  I think if you made a new bolt hold open lever with an extended arm, it could work in conjunction with raising the follower.  Lots of ifs.

Yeah, I had to sand the screw points a decent amount but I never went through. Might just be differences in tolerances. The follower stop a lot lower than on the Vepr mags, so I just accepted the fact that the bho won't be activated. The mag works just fine for me otherwise.

Yeah, I had to sand the screw points a decent amount but I never went through. Might just be differences in tolerances. The follower stop a lot lower than on the Vepr mags, so I just accepted the fact that the bho won't be activated. The mag works just fine for me otherwise.

You can mod the mag body by splitting the magazine open and relieving the channels that the follower rides in, to allow it to side all the way to the top. The lrbho still wont work because it doesn't contact the follower. But, it will help push the magazine out on a closed bolt.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83302-agp-mags-in-your-vepr12-yes-you-can/

Compare your factory five follower, to the AGP follower and you'll see the difference.

Edited by Mullet Man

I modified a AGP mag today.  The two spots that it rubs on the magwell are the two upper screw points on the magazine.  I sanded them pretty good.  I was trying to be cautious on sanding too much off and removing material until the screw shank was showing.  The bolt hold open is totally recessed into the magazine.  I don't see anyway it could be modified to work.  I think if you made a new bolt hold open lever with an extended arm, it could work in conjunction with raising the follower.  Lots of ifs.

It wouldn't work. An extended lever would just contact the rim of the cartridge. So the lrbho would technically work but it would never chamber a round.