I'm slowly acquiring parts to build a 7.62x39 Galil clone. About 2 weeks ago I won a set of parts for a decent price, and the guy actually gave me links to where I could find the rest of the parts I needed. I mailed him a postal money order and haven't heard anything since. I tried to check the status of the money order but the site says "no information found", so I don't know if it's been cashed or not. I've tried emailing him a few times with no response. It appears gunbroker doesn't really get concerned until the 3 week mark, so that's not much help. Any opinions on what I should do until gunbroker wants to help? Frustrating to send out $350+ and have shitty lack of communication. 

I have been burned on Armslist I am embarrassed to say but I have many transactions on Gunbroker without incident (not saying there are not scammers on there).  Does he have any other postings on Gun Broker or a business website you could reach out on.  What does his feedback look like?  Can you Google his address and get a phone number?  You may be able to contact the post office for options as well (such as if the check has been cashed).  I have had a seller's mother get sick and bad weather postpone responses before so it could still work out fine.  Best of luck!  

Any opinions on what I should do until gunbroker wants to help? Frustrating to send out $350+ and have shitty lack of communication. 

there isn't much you can do, outside of  e-mailing him.

that is the huge  chance you take when you send money and hope on their honesty.

sending money (MO etc...) is like playing Russian roulette, you can go on for a long time not getting burned. but sooner or latter that hammer is going to fall on the loaded chamber

the best philosophy you can go on is; don't send more then you can afford to lose.

I've bought and sold on it several times with no problems. I always check their feed back as a seller when buying even then there is a pucker factor sending money off into the unknown.

Paid 6k for an AyA shotgun for my boss, that one really had me up tight till it got here.

I'm slowly acquiring parts to build a 7.62x39 Galil clone. About 2 weeks ago I won a set of parts for a decent price, and the guy actually gave me links to where I could find the rest of the parts I needed. I mailed him a postal money order and haven't heard anything since. I tried to check the status of the money order but the site says "no information found", so I don't know if it's been cashed or not. I've tried emailing him a few times with no response. It appears gunbroker doesn't really get concerned until the 3 week mark, so that's not much help. Any opinions on what I should do until gunbroker wants to help? Frustrating to send out $350+ and have shitty lack of communication. 

Whats the total time from when you mailed it to lats you heard from him? possibly hes waiting to get the money order to contact you back.  Or maybe it is shady.

who can tell.

If you are very worried you can cancel the money order for a fee. Dont remember, maybe around 30-40 bucks if i recall. But you have to do it before its cashed. Maybe send him one last message and tell him if you dont hear from him you will cancel the money order by days end.

I always use a credit card on GunBroker.  I did have a purchase fall through once, it was a gun shop that advertised an in stock item and did not really have it in stock.  They charged my card and didn't tell me that there was no gun.  After a 3 weeks I called them and they were surprised I was pissed off but I got no satisfaction from the guy on the phone.  I called my card company and reported the fraudulent sale.  This got the gun shops attention and they returned my money.  At least with a credit card you can make a claim to get your money back. 

Doug

• Like 1

If you are very worried you can cancel the money order for a fee. Dont remember, maybe around 30-40 bucks if i recall. But you have to do it before its cashed. Maybe send him one last message and tell him if you dont hear from him you will cancel the money order by days end.

if this guy is a thief, why would you give him a heads-up you're going to do that? so that he can run down and cash it before you cancel it, that is if he hadn't cashed it already.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I NEVER do ANY transaction online involving firearms if I can't use a credit card. You are rolling the dice if you do, and I would rather spend the time looking for a dealer or seller who will accept a CC, than wind up wondering if I've been ripped off.....

if this guy is a thief, why would you give him a heads-up you're going to do that? so that he can run down and cash it before you cancel it, that is if he hadn't cashed it already.

If he was a thief he would have already cashed it if he had it. The number you call would be telling him it was cashed.  Typical MO for a thief and money orders is  to cash them asap. Because they can be canceled just like a check or CC payment.  If he is just dragging his feet it might get his attention.

Two weeks? Odds are he got it a day ago or so. Most of the guys that have cool stuff are not online often.. Otherwise they would have sold it already.

What is the guys rating? If he has a couple dozen transactions its probably fine.

I had someone calling me a thief just the other week over a money order they had sent out.. It came in almost a week later all crumbled up but still usable. Looked like the sorting machine ate it.

I think you will be just fine. If the guy has good feedback on gunbroker he is probably legit. I have never been screwed on gunbroker and never screwed anybody.

If you send out a USPS money order, make sure to send it with a tracking number for smaller purchases, signature required for a couple hundred and registered mail if its over a grand. This way, the people who think they are getting away with something have to deal with a US postal inspector who would love to go and use their full power on a criminal. It's simply not worth screwing with a post master. Cover your end, do your research and follow mailing protocol for evidence.

That being said, you should have a tracking number for the money order. The money order should have the auction number on it. Make sure to click on the payment sent icon on the auction.

Two weeks is not that long. He may have sent the parts ground since it's cheap and he was already at the post office to cash his money order and mail stuff. Two birds with one stone.

You will be fine. Keep us updated and have fun with your build.

the people who think they are getting away with something have to deal with a US postal inspector who would love to go and use their full power on a criminal.

why do people have this notion  that the US postal inspector is going to come to your rescue,  like a white knight in shinny armor,   after one guy who ripped you off? there aren't  enough PI that they go after every fricken person that ripped off one guy  for what really is a pittance amount.  to you it maybe a lot, but when it comes down to it that wouldn't even be worth even opening a investigation, unless the guy took people for 100s of thousands of dollars. and even then, the chance of you seeing a dime of that is a snowball chance in hell.  

this is from the postal inspectors website;

"We gather data on mail-related crime to determine whether a violation has occurred. While we can’t guarantee we can recover lost money or items, your information can help alert Postal Inspectors to problem areas and possibly prevent others from being victimized. Inspectors base their investigations on the number, substance and pattern of complaints. We ask you to keep all original documents related to your complaint."

let me break all that down for you in 1 sentence;   you file a complaint,  it get filed away, to turn yellow with age and you're still out of the money you sent.   

as was stated in previous post, the one and only safe way of not getting ripped off is to use a CC, that little piece of plastic is the most powerful consumer protection that was ever invent. you're not using your money to buy things with it, but the CC company money.  CC  companies don't like to get ripped off of their money they will initiate a charge back against the merchant in a New York minute. then for good measure charge the merchant with a high charge back fee. in this case everybody wins, (except the asswipe who tried to do a rip off);   you don't get ripped off, the CC company gets their money back, then collects a nice "asshole fee" from the merchant.

paying any other way, like in a private transaction, you're hoping on the honesty of the person you're sending the money to. that's why I say, when dealing with a private individual, don't send more then you can afford to lose. if that means you can't afford to lose 20 bucks, then think long and hard about send the person any money. 

His feedback is as follows:  A(21) 86% 3 negative feedback, all as the buyer, the sellers said HE never paid up. 

Auction closed on 4-1, money order sent from Michigan to Colorado same day. 

Last heard from him on 4-5, have sent 3 emails since. 

I can see myself only doing business with people/companies that accept credit from now on. 

I've bought a bunch of guns and stuff off of GB, some with CC, some with MO, but never been screwed. Some people did take a little longer than I would think appropriate to get back with me after the purchase (2-3 weeks), but always got my stuff, and most reasons for taking so long where actually legit. Give him a few more days, maybe then at least file it with the PO and GB, and if he does screw you, screw him on GB feedback, watch his other auctions and post on the GB forum about him if you can. Then make a call to Karma, she's a BITCH.

His feedback does suck considering he only has 18 out of 32 positive. I wont buy from a person with low feedback and several negatives. I will sell to someone that has that. Some new people get hit hard at first and learn the hard way. Maybe his feedback was hit early?

Wish you the best of luck. I think he will do right. If not, please let me know his username and business.

Looking even more shady now, he's posted other auctions since I've tried to contact him. Unfortunately: a lot of knowledge is gained in instances like this. I just saw an A rating next to his profile, since when is 86% considered "A" territory?

Looking even more shady now, he's posted other auctions since I've tried to contact him. Unfortunately: a lot of knowledge is gained in instances like this. I just saw an A rating next to his profile, since when is 86% considered "A" territory?

It depends on the time that passes? I always scan the feedback. You can click on the negative and read the posts for just them. I also take into consideration the rating of the person leaving the feedback.

Any luck with your parts yet?

See if GunBroker can attempt to contact him on your behalf due to the lack of response. Also, I've been known to use google to look at shipping addresses. As a seller, if it looks unsecure I tend to ship insured. As a buyer, if it looks shady you can always negotiate how you pay. Be selective on who you do business with. Did you pick up one of the Ohio x39 Galil receivers-I was curious how they look.

Seems like the people giving him bad feedback were reputable, some FFL's with hundreds of positive and VERY minimal negative feedback. No luck yet, I hit the post office today for a "money order inquiry" so I guess that'll determine the next step of action, pending the status on that. I figure if it's not cashed yet, he can keep the parts, I've got no problem cutting family off, let alone a complete stranger. I'd rather wash my hands of the situation and get my money back. If he has cashed it, I figure I'll try contacting him more, and see what gun-joker can do for me (looking like nothing from what I've read), then go from there (fraud, post master, contact his local LEO, etc.)

6500: I was planning on using a Norinco Hunter as a barreled receiver donor, and pretty much stripping it from there... I'm almost turned off to the idea of a Galil because of this escapade though. The other option was an SBR-ed PAP M92..

I figure I'll try contacting him more, and see what gun-joker can do for me (looking like nothing from what I've read), then go from there (fraud, post master, contact his local LEO, etc.)

truth is that GB only cares about the fees it collects from sales.  PO, you're complaint form will turn yellow with age and you'll still be out of the money. you can contact his local LE,  I can tell you exactly what they'll say, "it's a civil matter, take him to court"

the people who think they are getting away with something have to deal with a US postal inspector who would love to go and use their full power on a criminal.

why do people have this notion  that the US postal inspector is going to come to your rescue,  like a white knight in shinny armor,   after one guy who ripped you off? there aren't  enough PI that they go after every fricken person that ripped off one guy  for what really is a pittance amount.  to you it maybe a lot, but when it comes down to it that wouldn't even be worth even opening a investigation, unless the guy took people for 100s of thousands of dollars. and even then, the chance of you seeing a dime of that is a snowball chance in hell.  

this is from the postal inspectors website;

"We gather data on mail-related crime to determine whether a violation has occurred. While we can’t guarantee we can recover lost money or items, your information can help alert Postal Inspectors to problem areas and possibly prevent others from being victimized. Inspectors base their investigations on the number, substance and pattern of complaints. We ask you to keep all original documents related to your complaint."

let me break all that down for you in 1 sentence;   you file a complaint,  it get filed away, to turn yellow with age and you're still out of the money you sent.   

as was stated in previous post, the one and only safe way of not getting ripped off is to use a CC, that little piece of plastic is the most powerful consumer protection that was ever invent. you're not using your money to buy things with it, but the CC company money.  CC  companies don't like to get ripped off of their money they will initiate a charge back against the merchant in a New York minute. then for good measure charge the merchant with a high charge back fee. in this case everybody wins, (except the asswipe who tried to do a rip off);   you don't get ripped off, the CC company gets their money back, then collects a nice "asshole fee" from the merchant.

paying any other way, like in a private transaction, you're hoping on the honesty of the person you're sending the money to. that's why I say, when dealing with a private individual, don't send more then you can afford to lose. if that means you can't afford to lose 20 bucks, then think long and hard about send the person any money. 

Do you have any experience with postal inspectors and fraud related to firearms? I do. I got my money back. Post master locally forwarded evidince I gathered using postal evidentiary protocol and the receiving post master put his foot up the ass of a swindler. They take firearms transactions very seriously.

Fortunately/unfortunately it's only parts, not an actual firearm. Looks like I'll be moving forward with a fraud/theft claim. Info came back that the MO was cashed, and still, no parts. 

It also appears he burned someone else around the same time with an air rifle sale on GB, the guy left a nice "F" rating on his feedback. 

So with that in mind, nobody buy anything from:

Sean Schmidt 

aka: 1218 Gunsmith

blua.hammer71@gmail.com

1218 PENNSYLVANIA AVE
CANON CITY, CO 81212-8670
United States

this part makes me laugh as well: He's a crook AND a wanna-be gunsmith "I will only work on barrels & Parts kits IE: No Receivers. I am a certified Gunsmith but no ffl."

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, update:

He finally sent my parts (nearly 2 months later). He said there was family issues, which I can sympathize with, but he didn't let his family emergency stop him from cashing the money order and pocketing that first. I've also got a feeling the fraud claim I filed with gunbroker may have helped him prioritize things. I left negative feedback, and within that stated that I'd be filing fraud claims as well as contacting his local PD. So he sent the parts and asked me to change my feedback, saying he sent a message through GB stating there was a family emergency, which I didn't receive. Instead of Changing the feedback, I left a reply that I had gotten the parts and that he should have communicated better. This morning I was finally able to give the parts a once over and really look at them and I noticed this: 20140518_103115_zpsf29e4a6d.jpg

The damn bolt carrier is cracked. I emailed him again asking what he can do to right the situation... I'm sure with his track record I'll be stuck with a new paperweight.

Learn from MY mistake people. 

Check the feedback, use a credit card, and avoid anything that looks sneaky, suspicious, or just doesn't look right. We've evolved with that "gut feeling" as a sense. I didn't have any flags pop up, so when they DO, heed them as a warning. Unfortunately not everyone in the shooting sports are honest. 

Damn that sucks!

You might hit up evlblkwpns about a repair. He's about to open his new business and he's made mention of fixing cracked carriers with some supe secret new method.

• Like 1