opinions on unita mags

Ive bought a total of 6. Two three packs. One of the first broke last fathers day. We have a shoot on daddyday. Well I was shooting prone wgen I got up the mag just fell out. The lug at the front totally broke off. I emailed them they sent me a new mag body. I even bragged about their customer service. Well Friday I was shooting off hand and another mag broke exactly where the one last year broke. So thats a 33% failure rate. I emailed them again friday and haven't geard back. Heres a pic

20140414_212522_zpswkbzhqzm.jpg

WOW, THAT'S SCARY!horror.gif        I'm hoping FBMGs are never in a similar nightmare!  Perhaps the poly-mix formula has been changed or a new mold-technique implemented. I've NEVER heard any talk about a FRONT LUG FAILURE on any of the available Saiga 308 mags...including the factory mag.  BAD NEWS for Unita & potential customers...like me!eyes_droped.gif

I had one come in with a cracked mag body. they were very cool and replaced it.

I have also had trouble with the 3rd lug on my bolt not just denting, but putting a heavy gouge in the brass of the top three or so rounds.. (not a problem with other mags)

so I end up loading them a few rounds light... (feed angle, perhaps?)

I have not had any issues with breakage as of yet...

I bought three and one of those broke. I emailed them and they promptly sent me a new mag body. Then I later bought three from a forum member here. This time it was one of those that broke. Ive got one csspec 15 rounds mag I got at a gun show. The csspec wont fed if I try to bump fire but other wise is perfect. The unita mags worked after I sanded a little on the followers and made freely slide through the mag bodies. They will feed while bump firing. I wasnt bump firing when either of them broke. I don't bump much just to show off sometimes.

Keep in mind, that unless you bought them directly from Uinta, you really don't have any way to be sure they are actually Uintas and not FBMGs.  I have both, and the mag bodies are indistinguishable, which makes sense, because they all came from the same mold.  I put the Uinta internals in my FBMG bodies, and that seems to have solved the feeding problems I was having with them.  I haven't broken any of mine, but then again, I haven't used them very hard, either.

I had feeding problems as well I know 100 the first one that broke was uinta. I sanded the follower till it would freely fall through the mag body and that solved that but I can't have much confidence in them when I've had two break myself and I've shot id guess around 4 or 500 total through all my mags

I would have more csspecs by now but only was able to get one 15 rder when he made them last time.

Just the best size for toting around.

Yeah love the 15rd steel, getting more if at all possible, the best mag hands down.

Got a few of his 20s so a full load out of steel mags I just wont get any more at that size.

What Ive found is the shorter mags make any type better, SGM at 15rds has proven solid so far, less stress on those composite mags but I wont get any more.

The promag works fine as a range tool, only have the one wouldnt stake anything important on it.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I need at least 10 mags and thats 450 bucks. I absolutely love my s308 but im if they ban imports and theres a run on saigas I may end up selling it for a smith and wesson AR10 just because the cheap mags. I say the vepr308 that uses magpul 308 mags, id love to do something like that to my saiga. Hell if it wasnt too hard od talk top my machinist and see whathe thought about making a mag well

I liked what I was seeing on the 7.62 SW until the reviewer on the vid got it muddy( just threw it a pond and dragged it out) and it went seriously need-to-break-down jamomatic. Since the guy's shop sold them the vid was pulled quickly.

But over the course of years that saving of perhaps a couple of hundred in soon to be monopoly money (?) wont matter. 

I would have more csspecs by now but only was able to get one 15 rder when he made them last time.

I'm reading that to mean they are not available. However, I'm looking at about 200+ of them on my shelve. So if you want them, we have them.

We have bulk pricing on them as well.

I need at least 10 mags and thats 450 bucks. I absolutely love my s308 but im if they ban imports and theres a run on saigas I may end up selling it for a smith and wesson AR10 just because the cheap mags. I say the vepr308 that uses magpul 308 mags, id love to do something like that to my saiga. Hell if it wasnt too hard od talk top my machinist and see whathe thought about making a mag well

If your going to order ten, bulk pricing kicks in. There is also a coupon code for Saiga-12 members for 5% off that brings you down to 351.50 for ten mags for the blued ones.

• Like 1

I dont plan to go mudding with my rifle. And when you really need a rifle using a rifle that uses magazines and parts that are not readily available is a mistake.

Thanks when I get over the purchase of my new vepr12 ill be getting ten.

Oh and I used one unita mag today and it didnt break!

I just sent them an email also. Yesterday at the range I had one mag break in the exact same spot. It broke while I was try to pull the mag out and clear jam...front lug just snapped right. All 5 of the uintas mags I have cause the rifle to jam every round yesterday. Switched back to the factory 8 rounders...ran like a sewing machine again. they will not get anymore money from me. All 5 of mine are unreliable junk.

dude I dont know theyre brand new but my rifle dont like em...hell I bought the 3 for 89 and then spent 34 on the other. hopefully they email me back and try and make this right. still want to go to csspecs mag now since one of these broke. Never had a single problem out of my SGMs

Edited by yugritin

I'm reading that to mean they are not available. However, I'm looking at about 200+ of them on my shelve. So if you want them, we have them.

We have bulk pricing on them as well.

If your going to order ten, bulk pricing kicks in. There is also a coupon code for Saiga-12 members for 5% off that brings you down to 351.50 for ten mags for the blued ones.

Yeah at the time they were not around did get one from you though.

Now it is a question of resources, its number will come up again soon.

And thanks.

I dont plan to go mudding with my rifle. And when you really need a rifle using a rifle that uses magazines and parts that are not readily available is a mistake.

Thanks when I get over the purchase of my new vepr12 ill be getting ten.

Oh and I used one unita mag today and it didnt break!

I have been able to get about everything on my list except a spare bolt which would have to head spaced any way.

Springs, firing pin, recoil assm, extractor, and trigger group all in my spares.

Yeah wish it were easier but if we have to start toting these things I doubt UPS is running.

I dont think any of us muddy up a rifle for fun but it would happen eventually, with my luck at the worst possible moment.

still have not heard anything back from uinta. but I got them working a 100%. I measured the the gap between feed lip on the factory mags and compared my uintas mags...they were way more narrow. so the dremel with a 220 grit sanding disc came out. now my mags work. still buying csspec mags from now on. these uintas mags are strictly range mags IMO.