7n6 Substitute?

just look for 5.45 ammo that is 53gr. that is what 7n6 bullet weight grain is, and has a MV of around 2900 FPS.

WOLF 55gr is close with a MV of 2890 FPS, I'm sure there a couple of other brands that is very close to that as well, or is the same as 7n6

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Golden tiger is 59 grains but I imagine that is the difference of a full lead core vs. steel. Golden tiger is my go to ammo for 5.45x39 and 7.62x39

Had 7N6 not been banned from import, I'd probably have never bough another can. 

• 2 weeks later...

7N6 was probably designed for the Saiga 5.45x39 barrels, or vice versa, the Saiga 5.45x39 barrels were probably designed for 7N6. I am not an expert on this, but I am wondering how good the substitues are? The substitutes probably have different gunpowders, different bullet shapes and weights. Not sure how much that matters, but I think it was nice to have authentic ammo.

Well 5.45 came out in 74 and 7N6 was out before 87 so it wasnt designed for the Saiga. The Saiga wasnt designed for the 5.45 either. The Saiga is nothing more than a AK74 in sporter form and with a sivilian name of a deer like animal, Like making an AR, taking the pistol grip away and calling it a antilope.

The substitute Russian ammo sucks. 7N6 does about 3000fps. Wiki has the commercial ammo listed around 2800 but they are just going of off the manufacturers specs. Ive seen these chronographed first hand and they avg around 2600fps. Thats the speed of x39. Thats shit for a 5.45

• Like 1

The Red Army Std, clocks at 2300 fps which is less than the 7.62.

Oh fucking wonderful! I bought a 180 round battle pack that I havnt tried yet

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mrgunsngear Hornady 5.45x39 60gr V-MAX Ballistics Gel Test

Hornady 5.45x39 60gr V-MAX
At 10 yards from chronograph: 2775 fps, 1025 ft/lbs energy.

Good penetration and wound channel.

Costs about $0.40/round.

Nothing mentioned about accuracy.

Mrgunsngear Golden Tiger 5.45x39 FMJ Ballistics Gel Test In The Arsenal SGL-31 AK

Golden Tiger 5.45x39 FMJ 59 Grain
At 10 feet from chronograph: 2909 fps, 1108 ft/lbs energy.
Last sold for $0.25/round.

Nothing on accuracy. Edited by tbryanh

Mrgunsngear Denmark Made NATO M855 62gr 5.56x45 Ammo Test & Review

NATO M855 62gr 5.56x45 (steel core)
At 25 meters from muzzle (16" barrel): 2,886 fps, 1146 ft/lbs energy.
Costs about $0.40/round.

Accuracy at 100 meters: 3.6" groups Edited by tbryanh

Mrgunsngear Silver Bear 5.45x39 60gr Bimetal FMJ & AK-74 Ballistics Gel Test

Silver Bear 5.45x39 60gr Bimetal FMJ
At 15 feet from muzzle (16" barrel): 2,782 fps, 1030 ft/lbs energy.
Costs about $0.28/round.

Nothing on accuracy.

Mrgunsngear Wolf Military Classic 5.45x39 55gr Soft Point

Wolf Military Classic 5.45x39 55gr Soft Point
(Might also be known as PolyFormance)
Chronograph: 2742 fps, 917 ft/lbs energy. (velocity varied alot)
Good penetration, expansion, and wound channel.
Costs about $0.25/round.

Nothing mentioned about accuracy. Edited by tbryanh

7N6 appears to have the highest velocity so far. Probably no surprise here.

Absolute velocity is one measure, and consistent velocity is another. If the velocity of the substitute ammo is consistent, even though it is less than the velocity of 7N6, it can still perform well. (Tight groups) If velocity varies alot (some loads are hotter than others), even though it might have a reasonably high average velocity, it may not perform that well. (Poor groups)

Only one of the tests mentioned velocity variance (Mrgunsngear Wolf Military Classic 5.45x39 55gr Soft Point), so it appears more testing is needed.

Because 7N6 is mil spec, it probably has a consistent velocity. Hopefully one of the choices available as a subtitute has a consistent velocity too. Any info on this?

Edited by tbryanh

Because 7N6 is mil spec, it probably has a consistent velocity. Hopefully one of the choices available as a subtitute has a consistent velocity too. Any info on this?

It might be good to research these questions at theakforum.net. All of this has been well-tested. Start here:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading

Here's a good comparison of Hornady and 7N6:

http://www.theakforum.net/files/HANS-110022-HOR.pdf

Just from memory of past threads, the commercial 5.45 tends to be inconsistent and less accurate than 7N6. Hornady is another story. I would not use any Russian commercial for self-defense, because I've experienced too many failures with them. (Golden Tiger in 5.45 and 7.62 has a better reputation but I haven't tested it enough to be comfortable with it).

There basically is no good substitute for 7N6 (Hornady is the only other viable round in my view, but is not cheap). Buy more while it is still available.

Most prefer it [Golden Tiger] over Wolf, Tula, or the others because it is a lacquer covered case and is sealed at both the primer and bullet ends of the case. Polymer cases have a bad habit of rusting with just a little bit of moisture. This stuff stands up to the elements better and is better for long term storage. The bullet is also boat tailed which although some claim it increases accuracy its actual function is to slightly reduce aerodynamic drag resulting in higher retained downrange velocity. The bullet also has a hollow airspace in the tip which shifts the center of gravity further to the rear and causes the bullet to tumble earlier when it encounters flesh making a more lethal wound.

SOURCE

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading/170961-golden-tiger-x39-available.html#post1575844

golden tiger 5.45mm vs 7n6

At a 100 yards, GT is as accurate or more accurate than 7N6.

Has the same airpocket in the front of the bullet and has similar tumbling characteristics upon impact as 7N6.

Some comments from the video:
"How come the point of impact is way off on each target? The 7N6 target is off to the right then other target off left."

"I had zeroed the sight at 50 yards and it had seemed pretty much dead on but when I moved out to 100 yards it became apparent that I was shooting to far to the right so I moved the red dot over a few clicks and fired the second group, which I had apparently overcompensated for so after that I brought it back a few clicks and fired the last few groups."

Edited by tbryanh

That's strange. It always seemed to me like SG blew through what they had every time it was available.

That's what I was thinking. SG had some in stock I think maybe a few weeks ago and within a matter of days it was GONE. I was tempted to buy some even though I don't currently have a rifle in that caliber. haha.gif