7n6 Substitute?

I shot 7N6 and Monarch (the Academy Sports brand) at 200 yards today. Two different targets, alternating 3 shots of each kind. Monarch had (as expected) a noticeably lower point of impact. The groups were much wider too.

I may have to bite the bullet and buy some more 7N6.

Has anybody compared GT to 7N6 at 200 yards?

Since 7N6 il lighter (53gr) than GT (59gr), maybe 7N6 doesn't drop as low as GT does.

Unless GT is loaded hotter than 7N6 - which I strongly doubt - it's a simple matter of physics. GT will drop lower, just like Monarch did in my shooting yesterday.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I shot 7N6 and Monarch (the Academy Sports brand) at 200 yards today. Two different targets, alternating 3 shots of each kind. Monarch had (as expected) a noticeably lower point of impact. The groups were much wider too.

How many grains is the Monarch ammo?

Do you have any GT to test with 7N6 at 200 yards?

How many grains is the Monarch ammo?

Do you have any GT to test with 7N6 at 200 yards?

No, sorry. I've used 7N6 pretty much exclusively for a long time but thought I'd try out some other ammo that was convenient for me to obtain at the local Academy Sports.

Has anybody compared GT to 7N6 at 200 yards?

Since 7N6 il lighter (53gr) than GT (59gr), maybe 7N6 doesn't drop as low as GT does.

Unless GT is loaded hotter than 7N6 - which I strongly doubt - it's a simple matter of physics. GT will drop lower, just like Monarch did in my shooting yesterday.

What's up with all this watered down current production 5.45 ammo? Some of it is downright anemic. Also,it seems they all use a heavier bullet than the 7N6 for some reason. I would like to see some offerings in 53 gr. or even lighter, maybe 50 gr.

Steel weighs less than lead. When you replace steel with lead the weight increases to keep the same profile. Lowering the grain weight would require the addition of a lighter metal or plastic (like a V-max).

Military ammo has a goal of being as close to maximum loading as possible without going over. Civilian stuff is going to be a little lighter to reduce the need for calibration of machines.

Another factor may be the use of non-corrosive primers.. Corrosive military primers are likely a little hotter and get a better burn of the powder. Much like our 5.56 needs a hotter primer than similar small rifle rounds.

It could be any one of these, or a combination of all of them.

Also remember that 7n6 is old ammo, and standards may have changed since then.

Steel weighs less than lead. When you replace steel with lead the weight increases to keep the same profile. Lowering the grain weight would require the addition of a lighter metal or plastic (like a V-max).

That makes sense. I had forgotten that 7N6 has a mild steel core while the others are lead. (doh!) Also,one would think a round like the V-max would have a higher velocity than something like,say GT. However, the chronos I've seen on YT state otherwise, which I'm not sure why. The V-max got like mid to high 2700's, while the GT got high 2800 to mid 2900.The GT is 1gr. lighter, but that's negligible.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently shot at an 8 inch ball of solid concrete from 120 yds with Golden Tiger. Turned it to gravel with two shots. Not bad. I wouldn't be too alarmed if that is all I had to shoot.

M

7n6 has a copper jacket (well, "gilding metal" actually, but that's mostly copper and is definitely not a bi-metal jacket).

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading/167237-wolf-brown-bear-223-killed-my-slr-106-barrel-less-than-7000-rounds-2.html#post1541394

A copper plated steel jacket bullet is bi-metal.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/93572-barrel-wear-and-bimetal-bullets/page-2&do=findComment&comment=980536

"Plating" and "gilding" are the same thing:

7N6 is most certainly "bi-metal"

Bimetal refers to an object that is composed of two separate metals joined together. Instead of being a mixture of two or more metals, like alloys, bimetallic objects consist of layers of different metals.

post-5127-0-93984400-1402205831.jpg

Edited by m1key