I just finished up my first sbr project ever, and debating starting another. What do you guys think about a zastava m92? Is it worth it, or should I just find an m70 underfolder instead? Length difference wouldn't be much and no nfa paper work.

Definitely worth it. That said, I'm not all that fond of the underfolders, and it's a pain in the ass to cut the receiver correctly. If I were to SBR one of those pistols, I'd probably install a fixed-stock M70 trunnion, and give it a nice Yugo wood stock.

• Like 1

Even though I have an M92 sbr (and I love it), I wouldn't do it now.  The SB47 not-a-stock has great advantages over a registered sbr.

One thing I've got on my to-do list is an AK with a pinned brake similar to the AMD65 but with a shorter brake and better stock.  It won't be much longer than my sbr and it will be much more practical.

• Like 1

getting a consensus of what you should do or not do,  is and has never has been the  way to go.  do it for yourself and your "taste", not what anybody tells you should or shouldn't do.  

it's as simple as that, do what pleases you

for me personally, I just don't like shooting "AW pistols", they're awkward and uncomfortable to shoot, so I went with the SBR route with all my pistols. that is my reasoning for doing it. you just have to decide for yourself what you want out of it

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

If I do get the M92, I would add a side folder. I just mention the underfolder because they are readilly available without the nfa paper work.

If I do get the M92, I would add a side folder. I just mention the underfolder because they are readilly available without the nfa paper work.

I've shot one with a folding stock and fake can(not SBR by ATF guidelines with a pinned can).  It's definitely more stable than trying to fire off hand.  I have a 2-point sling on mine, and can use it for a good cheek weld.

M85/92 is the most popular SBR right now.  However, not a list I want to be on.

If you're OK with the $200 tax and the disgusting wait, why wouldn't you? Most of the arguments on this site against NFA registration are based on ignorance, paranoia, and/or a profound misunderstanding of the law and the disposition of your average ATF agent. I've honestly never been on a gun forum as resistive to NFA registration as this one.tinfoilhat.gif

Yeah, if you're alright with the semi-gay not-a-stock arm brace then that is definitely the way to go. I can appreciate the desire to save $200 and avoid jumping through hoops. Many of us were quite surprised by the recent ATF opinion letter stating that it is legal to fire the arm brace off the shoulder because the product is not designed to do so (WTF?huh.png ). Now remember, ATF can and does issue opinion reversals from time to time on these semi-questionable products so that is a potential issue as well.

I wanted a more "authentic" shorty AK so I went with the classic underfolder. 032.gif This particular M92 was done before they were importing the PAP pistols, so it was built into a pistol in the US before I SBR'd it.

post-6253-0-42123500-1398454730_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-51055200-1398454742_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That looks sweet Distal! I'm thinking I will go for it. Found one online for $400 and a triangular stock, hinge, and muzzle brake will add another. another $120. $200 more for the stamp and the wait is ok. I waited almost 10 months for my PPS43 stamp, I can wait again for this project. But how do I get this around the wife? Oh yeah...jewelry.

Took the Pit Bull to the range again today.  As usual, runs like a top.  The only issue is that it smacks me in the face a bit with the ACE stock and cheek riser.  I think I may pull the cheek riser off.  After shooting the Tavor the G2 trigger on the M92 felt like it was only 2lb.

Have you seen the arsenal ak74u style rifles with the 16" barrel but short gas system?

yep, as a matter of fact I bought one, it's in  5.56. I sent off the form 1 last Nov. so I could cut it down to 9 inches.  I already have a Bulgarian 5.45 74U I had built from pieces and parts and SBR'd that  back in 04.  

My 308 is a Lone Eagle.  I got it to hunt in the handgun-archery-muzzleloader seasons.  Varmit type rounds do well.  110gr and 125gr.  They expand and fragment fine from the 10" barrel.  I'd be fine with it out to 200.

Don't know about the FAL pistol or HK pistol.  If I had to choose I'd go FAL since I've already got a shitload of mags.

The only effort, if you want to call it that, is filling out the paper work (so simple even a caveman can do it). I'm just waiting for the stamp, it's just one of those things you have to do and move on to the next project until it comes in. Of all the guns I own, the M92 is at the top of the list for SBR followed by a M4gery. Just do it or be happy with a barrel extension....pistols are not the way to go and you'll never look back and regret having legally SBRing it.

Got the green light from the wife on the M92 last night! Showed her pics of what I want to build and she thought it looked pretty cool. I love my babe!!

Sweet!  Are you going to SBR or "not a stock"?