Auto plug installed - couple ?s and need new shroud

So I just got the plug cranked in. It took about 50 tries and I finally figured out why. No, it wasn't cross-threading. I checked each time for shavings, crooked, shiny metal. The problem was it rubbing against the barrel, so I was essentially filing the barrel down with each attempt. Anyone else have this? Lubed up the part where it was rubbing and it helped a little bit.

I finally got it bottomed out and flush, then unthreaded it until detent pin clicked. Now there is about 1/16-1/8 inch gap. Is that correct?

And this may be a dumb question, but the puck stays in, right?

If that's all good, now my barrel shroud is too long. Who makes one that will fit with the plug installed? Link?

Much thanks.

Edited by jergoff

well barrel shrouds usually are 3 pieces front middle rear either press fit or set screws depends what brand and what looks like you could remove rear piece and grind it down 1/4 to 1/2 or remove middle dosame.it not difficult to do.

link to what shroud you have ?

Sarcastic Mode Engaged

1) Remove Shroud

2) Sell To Mall Ninja On GunJoker For Ricockulously Inflated Price

3) Use Proceeds To Purchase More Ammo

4) Enjoy More Shooting With Your Now Considerably Lighter Shotgun

Sarcastic Mode Disengaged

Sorry about that. Just goofing around. 018.gif

• Like 1

I have a saiga 12 with the same problem. It appears to be a machining issues at the Russian plant. And the gas bore is so close to the barrel that the auto-plug drags. I filed a flat-spot on the top of barrel for clearance. I don't recommend this for safety reasons. But it worked for me.