I haven't read any other answer yet, so if I repeat stuff...sorry. Try polishing the extractor face. Also you may have a factory installed WRONG extractor spring, or it may be sitting incorrectly and not springing properly.

The extractor must be easy to move with your fingers and have full movement. The extractor spring is not that springy. Does the extractor move freely?

Usually the extractor lip snaps over the case just as the case is completely chambering and very close to being fully chambered. Long shot here....have you examined fired brass? Can you mike the fired brass case diameter? Loose chamber?

Long shot. HB of CJ (old coot)

Is the Ejector setting just under the rim of the bolt head at rest? It also should be easy to push in and out fully using a flat punch head. It should bottom out just below the bolt face.

Funny about the Walther. My P22 eats everything for some reason defying all the ill write ups about them. It even cycles sub sonics without the can. CCI birdshots are 50/50 though. Glad you got the Sig running better.

Mine does too. Never had an issue out of my pk380 either. Just like everything else massed produce there will be a couple bad in the bunch. I've had a bad couple of glocks that had to go back and my sig p290rs went back to sig.

well the staking of the end/s of the pin was a new one on me, I've never heard of that before seeing how the extractor is removed for bolt cleaning and sometime you need to replace the spring. I've always just used the firing pin to take it out from the days in the military to now.

Never mind wrong sig 5.56 I be thinking AR it arn't

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

well the staking of the end/s of the pin was a new one on me, I've never heard of that before seeing how the extractor is removed for bolt cleaning and sometime you need to replace the spring. I've always just used the firing pin to take it out from the days in the military to now.

Never mind wrong sig 5.56 I be thinking AR it arn't

Oops....that would explain my confusion to the staking of the extractor pun as well!

• 1 month later...

Update.

Took the 556R out today also.  I wanted to run 4 mags through it just to be sure it's fixed. 

Ammo was Wolf black box I've had in the garage for a couple of years.

First 2 mags ran flawless.  Just bouncing rocks on the berm as fast as I could.  It was flinging empties to the right and slightly forward about 10 feet. 

I really like the way this rifle shoots now that it shoots.

Near the end of the 3rd mag I got a fail to extract.  Then 2 more rounds and another fte.  The rifle was pretty hot by that time so I figure I just need to file another rch off the extractor.  I only removed the bare minimum to get it to function so no margin for parts heating up.

I let the rifle cool and ran the 4th mag fine.  So when I got home I gave it a few more licks with the jeweler's file.

There have been several guns I had to do this to. If the underside of the arm of the extractor tolerance is off it will let the extractor swing too close to the bolt centerline and not let the rim snap into the bold face. It's usually not that it's too tight from bottom of hook to bolt face. I think if your fiddling with a marginal gun it never hurts to polish the tapered face of the extractor, but go slowly as you want the extractor to pinch the spent case to the opposite side of the bolt. Kel tec sub 2k. Jimminez .22lr, wasr .22, ruger sr9c are just some of the guns I ran across that expire fed the same issues the op spoke of. Would NEVER have expected it from a sig tho!

On a rifle no less!

The rifle went back to Sig for the recall to replace the extractor and add the steel mag block before I got it.

My guess is that Sig didn't put their best smiths on the rework, and they were in a hurry.  The gas hole misalignment I don't think can be blamed on the rework since that didn't get touched as far as I know.  But the extractor problem would have been immediately apparent if they had even cycled a few dummy rounds.  You'd think when replacing the extractor it would be standard practice to at least do that.

My previous experience with Sig's service was a P232 that belonged to my x.  There was an extraction problem and they had me ship the pistol back for service.  They replaced the pistol with a new one.

Update.

Took the 556R out today also.  I wanted to run 4 mags through it just to be sure it's fixed. 

Ammo was Wolf black box I've had in the garage for a couple of years.

First 2 mags ran flawless.  Just bouncing rocks on the berm as fast as I could.  It was flinging empties to the right and slightly forward about 10 feet. 

I really like the way this rifle shoots now that it shoots.

Near the end of the 3rd mag I got a fail to extract.  Then 2 more rounds and another fte.  The rifle was pretty hot by that time so I figure I just need to file another rch off the extractor.  I only removed the bare minimum to get it to function so no margin for parts heating up.

I let the rifle cool and ran the 4th mag fine.  So when I got home I gave it a few more licks with the jeweler's file.

So do you feel confident that you got it?

I'm confident the gas problem is fixed.  I'm confident that the extractor was the cause of the fail to extract and that my work on the extractor made it vastly better.  But until it runs a few hundred rounds with no failures I won't be confident that it's fixed.  So I wouldn't choose this rifle to go to war just yet.

• Like 1

The US sig is nothing like the quality of a German or Swiss Sig. They are nice and all but boy, do they crank them out.

Shoot the ever loving Shit out of your rifle with different types of surplus junk. Find what works best in your rifle.. You know all this. It's a mass produced unrefined unproven sig. You will have to prove it yourself.

A few thousand rounds down range and I bet that sucker will run like a sewing machine.

Nice job on the front sight post BUIS and configuration on the rifle. All you're missing is a good sling. Check out Ares Armor for a Combat veteran owned, made and operated product that will fit her well.

Have fun and let me know if you want to get rid of it! :)

Nice job on the front sight post BUIS and configuration on the rifle.

The previous owner added the MI front sight. So the only credit I can take on that is that I didn't take it off. lol

The rifle has a rear folding lolipop sight but it is mostly junk, plus it's extra tall so doesn't work with AR height front. So I added a Magpul rear. The Vortex sight was a little too high with standard AR ring so I switched to mid height qd ring. The sights still co-witness a little above the centerline.

The standard Sig pistol grip is an ergonomic disaster so I replaced it with the smooth Hogue grip. I also added a generic rail to the forend to mount the AFG. And Krebs safety lever.

You're right about needing a good sling. I think I'll add qd sling mounts.

Had a Sig P556, never could fall in love with it. It shot fine and didn't have any problems it was just the fact that parts interchangability was limited. If it broke it was going to take a Sig 556 part to fix it. Traded it back to the shop I got if from for a Sig P 516. Like the AR based platform pistol much better if nothing else for the interchangeability of spare parts with my other AR platform rifles.

• 2 months later...

Another range trip today.  I had 5 guns to sight in so I only put 120 through the 556R.  It ran perfect and once I got the dot dialed in she was ringing the 300yd gong every time.  Not bad for an "inaccurate" round with a dot sight and my shitty eyes.  The dot looks more like a banana to me and the gong is a fuzzy spot.

This rifle is now competing with the Tavor to be my zombie apocalypse tool of choice.

The Pit Bull ran perfect as always.  My "new" 1979 Model 60 ran great.  The Tavor of course.  And the SAR K2.

My only bitch of the day was that the Primary Arms microdot that I thought was tight on my SAR1 wasn't tight after all.  I'm sure I can fix it but it is disappointing that they botched something as simple as fitting properly on a standard rail.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

The new "final" version of this rifle.  I liked the Strike Eagle 1-6x so well on my SPR that I decided I needed one on the Sig.  I'll probably put one on the FAL also.

Rings are Weaver 30mm Medium 6 screw. The front ring is in the front-most slot and actually touches the handguard.  Cheek weld and eye relief are perfect.

I did remove the MI front sight as it was sticking up in the scope image.

The right side turret looks like it might be a problem being so close to the charging handle but using the left hand reach-under method it doesn't interfere at all.  For right hand charging you can bump your knuckle on the turret.  I may replace it with the canted charging handle if it really bothers me but I don't think it will.

post-4831-0-88005900-1456684001_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

And now this.

Took it to the range today.  Chambered a round.  Click.  Ejected the round and chambered another.  Click.  Ejected the round and inspected the primer.  No sign of a dent.  Pulled the bolt carrier and yep, broken firing pin.

This rifle has less than 2k rounds through it.

So I'll call Sig tomorrow and order a replacement firing pin.  Hopefully they have one.  I have a sick feeling they won't.

One way or another I'll get a replacement firing pin.  And then this rifle is going on gunbroker.  I'm done with it.

post-4831-0-89986800-1477258734_thumb.jpg