Cutting down 22 inch barrel

FNG here. I have 22in barreled Saiga .308. I am thinking of cutting it down to 16.5 & putting a AK47 brake on it. What do you all think? I know this will start a arugment but I am looking for honest opionions from someone who has done this. I have read the post on barrel threading and think I can handel that if I get the adapter/starter from DINZAG. Thanks for your time.

Goose33

Edited by Goose33

Hey Goose,  I don't see how you will start an argument.  We are all here to help each other.  As long as you don't do anything illegal you're good to go.  You are starting in the right place by thinking DINZAG.  Brian is one heck of a guy and very helpful.  Drop him an email first and explain what you want to do.  Then ask him exactly the parts and tools you will need.  He will email you back with the list to order and probably some pointers.  Go from there.  You won't be sorry.  Yeah,  I know I sound like an ad for DINZAG.  He is a strait shooter that has helped many forum members achieve their ultimate goals customizating their rifles and shotttys.

Thanks for the replies i wil think on it some more. AK thanks but I am not looking to trade. May just buy another. Trying to attach before and after pics of what i have done so far. i have changed the site to a sitemark reflex. (read) eotec knock off. It holds zero and i can hit the 20x30 man sized steel at 330yrds all day long.

Goose post-49353-0-88986800-1398628402_thumb.jpgpost-49353-0-64066700-1398628440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goose33

It would not be smart to cut to 16 when theres a ton of 16" barreled s308s out there and not as many longer barreled ones. A lot of people me included would like about an 18" barrel but I cant add any barrel however if I had a longer one I couldcut ut a little. I just see no point in going all the way down that short.

And you need to move that trigger foward a little.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased the 22" bbl and not the 16.3" barrel. Do not cut down your 22" barrel. You Saiga may be more desirable with the longer barrel. Can you trade out your 22" bbl for a 16.3" bbl? Muzzle flash and blast are the main two reasons.

I would cut down that 22" bbl ONLY to about 18.5". No shorter for me. My opinion only. Others will disagree. Even with the 18.5" bbl you might want to thread it and install a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider. The nickname for my 16.3' bbl Saiga 7.62x51 is Maxine Maxblast. HB of CJ (old coot)

The Saiga 12 nickname is.... Betty Bucker. As in recoil. smile.png Both require good eye and ear protection. The 308 is especially noisy. Just me.

Practically there are good reasons to have at the barrel of 21". 

Clean up that muzzle, cut a good crown, and install a threaded brake.

But you dont have to remove much barrel at all to do any of that, just enough to square up the end to improve rigidity a bit.

So a 20" barrel would likely be as much of an improvement as 18" with less flash.

Certainly less than a 16".

Of course the biggest bitch is that FSB, thing is a royal pain.

Something to think about.

Just a thought here that came to mind;

Back when I was grinding out astronomical mirrors I was told the best way to make a 14" mirror was to make a 6" first.

Start on something inexpensive like a mosin, the tools are the same, and make your mistakes there before jumping into a rifle that is more valuable.

• Like 1