Vepr 5.45 Weight Comparison Question

Should be heavier - the VEPR is built on a 50% thicker receiver, and your barrel will probably have more weight due to the length - I don't think 5.45 barrels and 7.62 barrels vary much in weight.

Should be heavier - the VEPR is built on a 50% thicker receiver, and your barrel will probably have more weight due to the length - I don't think 5.45 barrels and 7.62 barrels vary much in weight.

Yeah,that's what I was thinking too.I figure about the only variable that could possibly make the Saiga 7.62 roughly the same (certainly not heavier) would be the weight difference of the 7.62 vs. 5.45 ammo in the mags, but the things you mentioned probably more than make up for that.

My Saiga x39 with a 20" bbl comes in empty w/ no mag at 7.5 lbs, and with a 30 rd mag taped to it, its at 9.1 lbs. I had to tape it since I havent filed the catch yet. 

My Vepr 12 empty comes in at 7.6 lbs. with no mag, and w/ a 12 rd mag with Hornady buckshot, its at 9.4 lbs.

My Arsenal SGL 31-62 is at 7.6 lbs empty with no mount, and 8.6 lbs. with a loaded mag, and 9.7 with a mount and reflex.

My Vepr 5.45 is in at 8.5 lbs. unloaded in standard config, and 9.8 with a loaded mag.

I used my fish scale for these, but they should be pretty close to an actual reading, give or take a few ounces.

My Saiga x39 with a 20" bbl comes in empty w/ no mag at 7.5 lbs, and with a 30 rd mag taped to it, its at 9.1 lbs. I had to tape it since I havent filed the catch yet. 

My Vepr 12 empty comes in at 7.6 lbs. with no mag, and w/ a 12 rd mag with Hornady buckshot, its at 9.4 lbs.

My Arsenal SGL 31-62 is at 7.6 lbs empty with no mount, and 8.6 lbs. with a loaded mag, and 9.7 with a mount and reflex.

My Vepr 5.45 is in at 8.5 lbs. unloaded in standard config, and 9.8 with a loaded mag.

I used my fish scale for these, but they should be pretty close to an actual reading, give or take a few ounces.

Wow,interesting info,thanks! I'm surprised how light the Vepr 12 is.

So,it looks like the difference in weight between a Saiga 7.62 and Vepr 5.45 with full mags isn't all that much. I would be removing the factory wood furniture on my Vepr,so that should make it even lighter.   

Edited by scattergun10

What do 4 more inches of barrel get you with the 5.45 round? If I recall, it's a negligible velocity increase.

I was reading the thread in the Saiga 5.45 forum "16" vs. 20" barrel" and a member said they got 200 fps more with the 20 vs.the 16. Not huge numbers, but I'll take all the velocity gains I can get. I also read that the 20 gets more consistent chronos and slightly tighter groups than the 16, which makes sense.

What do 4 more inches of barrel get you with the 5.45 round? If I recall, it's a negligible velocity increase.

I was reading the thread in the Saiga 5.45 forum "16" vs. 20" barrel" and a member said they got 200 fps more with the 20 vs.the 16. Not huge numbers, but I'll take all the velocity gains I can get. I also read that the 20 gets more consistent chronos and slightly tighter groups than the 16, which makes sense.

If that's true, 200 more fps is nothing to sneeze at. For me though it would not be worth the extra front-heaviness and slower maneuvering.

Edited by Jim Digriz