Joe, I'd insist on at least a big off switch. When seconds count walking to the panel is not an option.

I'm pretty sure the chuck guards are mandatory, you can flip them out of the way, but they must be on the machine.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same kind of hazard as working on the farm with tractor PTO's, exposed driveshafts, etc.  One catch of the shirt or anything and you are ripped to shreds or spun around and broken to pieces at the lea

Back in 1989 I worked for a steel manufacturing company that delt with huge rolls of steel. My job was to band them to wood weigh them and stack them in the ware house. They had a machine that was a h

There are rules to being a machinist, roll up your sleeves, tuck in your loose clothing, tie up long hair, no jewelry of any kind. All the guarding and E-stops can't fix carelessness. It's a very skil

Posted Images

They're old machines, doesn't look like they ever had chuck guards, even then, the machines at the local vocational school don't have them, but they at least have the other features. (brakes, emergency stop buttons, and power switches)

The boss was cheap about such things before, then he sold the company, and now we get even less done as far as materials and equipment.

Ever shown up to work light-headed from a night of drinking? This could be you.

I think I saw an eyeball in that mess of flesh.

It's hard to stay 100% safe 100% of the time.

I've shot myself in the hand with a nail gun, sliced the tips of two fingers (almost to the bone) on a table saw, ran my hand down a sharp plastic sign slicing a finger to the bone, and accidentally stood up into the exhaust of a running jet engine (our preflight inspection required sitting under the exhaust, to verify proper flight control response).

Living with the risk can be exciting, to a certain extent, but, all it takes is a second for horrible things to happen.

Ever hear about the Egyptian Crew Chief who tried to visually check the external fuel tank levels on an F-4 Phantom using a cigarette lighter instead of a flashlight?

Comfort kills. Always be on guard.

Edited by Sim_Player

I don't drink, so no.

I know everyone lets their guard down at some point, but I'm usually pretty alert and cautious around the machines.

Edited by JoeAK

You guys that are bitching at Monty about the content...  Seriously?  We are all adults here.  This is a great reminder of what power equipment can do.  Not just a lathe either.  A hand drill can put a hurt on you if you get clothing caught in it.  I had a 4 1/2 angle grinder catch a shirt and wind up to my gut in a split second.  It scared the fuck outta me.  I didn't know what I was gonna see when I CUT my shirt outta that grinder and it hurt like hell.  No harm done.  I was lucky.  This kind of gore is a good thing, IMO.  It drives the point home much better than some fucking cartoon character or some dude in ridiculous safety attire that has never stepped foot in a shop environment.  

• Like 2

A hand drill can put a hurt on you if you get clothing caught in it.

You don't even need clothing to get caught, sometimes a clamp of vise lets go and you can get a bite taken out. It can ruin a whole month.

This was a little piece of steel and one of those little 3/8" cordless drills.

Cut from behind the knuckle all the way to under the finger nail, down to the bone. It actually hit three times and had the meat pretty much pulled from the bone. I had worked it back on while running to the sink.

I just got feeling back in the end of it after about 4 years.. It hurt to move it for almost four months.

post-2952-0-94966100-1398704451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I was about 16-17 years old, I started making chainmail armor. To further the hobby, I built a small, extremely unsafe machine to make coils of wire, which were cut down to make jump rings. The machine was basically a 110-volt drill mounted inside a wooden frame - a spool of wire was mounted on a rod that ran parallel to the mandrel. Instead of engineering a movable wire guide and tensioner, I fed the wire by hand, wearing a pair of thick welding gloves. Needless to say, one day I accidentally squeezed the trigger a little too hard and pulled my hand in between the wire and the mandrel. End result wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been - I burst all the major blood vessels in my left index finger, broke all of the bones, and degloved the last segment of the finger - that is, removed all the skin, along with the fingernail. Not a pleasant trip to the ER - but it resulted in very little permanent damage, and it was a hell of a wake-up call. I'm a lot more cautious when working with power tools - and I don't build machines that can eat digits or limbs.

You guys that are bitching at Monty about the content...  Seriously?

Not bitching at all, I agree it's a good reminder, I just choose not to click and see it, stories are plenty for me.

You guys that are bitching at Monty about the content... Seriously?

Not bitching at all, I agree it's a good reminder, I just choose not to click and see it, stories are plenty for me.

You need a little cheese with that vagina?

• Like 1

Same kind of hazard as working on the farm with tractor PTO's, exposed driveshafts, etc.  One catch of the shirt or anything and you are ripped to shreds or spun around and broken to pieces at the least. 

PTOs are a big one. They eat a lot of stuff, including the whole wiring harness and hydruaulic manifold on a guy's boat I know. Boat transmissions and output shafts are about the same risk. And they can "windmill" even if the engines aren't running. 

My dad narrowly avoided something similar with a trolling gurney- a spinning metal reel tha freewheels out as the lines are payed out. Someone had replaced a missing bolt with one that stuck out. It snagged on the sleeve of his rain gear and ended up ripping off almost all of his clothing as he fought to keep out of it. He makes the ordeal sound like it would have looked in place in a Looney Tunes bit with Wile E Coyote. I had some loose web once pin me to a control station and crush me as it attempted to pull me over board. A few times people got caught in web as it was reeled in- but the operator was always able to stop the reel in time.

A lot of boats which copied reels built by my father and uncle used a foot pedal to control the reel. I've heard of a few people fishing alone who had a fish slide onto the foot pedal and then wind them onto the reel. That has got to be an awful way to go. 

Another guy I know had a clutzy crew man. He did a high speed lay out from the deck and the crewmen stepped on the pile of net as it was paying out. his feet were tangled in two sections of net about 5-8' apart. the net came tight and it tore him right up the pelvis. shudder. The guy lived.

Worst I've had was hitting a bolt embedded in the aluminium I was milling with my drill press.  The aluminium was crumbling and flaking in that spot, but with no indication of the presence of a forien object (Alcoa factory finish on 4 sides (2024 T3)) .  The cutter ripped the workpiece out of the crosslide vice, tore 3 teeth out of the bit, threw the chuck, and bent the spindle a good 1/2".  I noticed a discolored spot in the aluminium, and cut it out with a Dremel.  1/4" x 1" grade 8 bolt that somehow got into the aluminium at Alcoa.

Worst part was waiting 6 months for Delta to ship the new parts to the repair center.

I've shot myself in the hand with a nail gun, sliced the tips of two fingers (almost to the bone) on a table saw, ran my hand down a sharp plastic sign slicing a finger to the bone, and accidentally stood up into the exhaust of a running jet engine (our preflight inspection required sitting under the exhaust, to verify proper flight control response).

note to self: don't be around slim_player. he's a accident waiting to happen

laugh.png

Whoa.....ole boy really f'd himself on that one.....I bet his ole lady was happy with that $100,000 grand check.  That entire scenario prob took less than 1/10th of a second.  He never knew what happened and there wasn't any pain.  Its not like it happened in slow mo and he had time to reflect on what was happening.  Sorry for the lighthearted attitude but.......Sometimes in certain professions you have to steel yourself to real world scenario's that some don't walk away from.  You should see what the tail rotor of an HH53 rotary wing heavy lift will do to a Fire Team when the pilot fucks up.   So before you judge me, seen that and almost done that.  And yes I was glad it wasn't me......

I really wish I didn't see that. That shit gave me nightmares last night! I've been a machinist/cnc machinist since 1990 and thankfully never saw anything like that. I would have little burn marks all over my arms when I ran the lathe a lot because I refuse to wear long sleeves or gloves on a lathe! The worst that's ever happened to me was: Counter bored my hand (3 stitches). Got my thumb stuck in between a bench grinder and the gaurd (it ground my nail off and flung blood around the wheel and splashed me in the face). And finally I caught a big sheet of steel to the back of the skull (13 stitches).

post-19191-0-59988400-1398800332.jpg

Man...  There sure are some weak stomachs around here.  I don't wanna look.  Someone tell me what's in the pics.  I'm having nightmares now.  I'm having erectile dysfunction after seeing those pics.cry.gif haha.gif 

Don't anyone here watch Faces Of Death (or the like).  You'd need therapy.

Man...  There sure are some weak stomachs around here.  I don't wanna look.  Someone tell me what's in the pics.  I'm having nightmares now.  I'm having erectile dysfunction after seeing those pics.cry.gif haha.gif

Don't anyone here watch Faces Of Death (or the like).  You'd need therapy.

I'm a horror movie fanatic, but I have spent countless hours on lathes and other machines and my vivid imagination paints a terrible image in my head of that guy's untimely end. At first glance, it appears from the part he was machining that it was a low rpm/high torque process that allowed him plenty of time to watch his arm roll up like a wet noodle, followed by his face and head being compressed to mush. That probably took over 10 seconds to die, and under those circumstances, it would have felt like an eternity!

Several years back, one of the ships I work on (I was not on board) had a young engine cadet on board, still in maritime school but getting in her year of sea projects. Working in the ship's shop while underway, somebody had tasked her with doing some work on the lathe. She shop on this particular ship is out of the way and not always frequented by the engineers or eng. department crew. They believe she lost her footing, and her hair was not secured, and she got pulled in. They didn't find her until the end of her shift when the other eng. cadet came to relieve her, and realized that she was missing.

The ship did NOT have a dead-man alarm.. This is an alarm that can be set to go off periodically in sections of the engine room, and you have to manually go to it and acknowledge it, or it will sound, literally, a "dead man" alarm.

Not a lathe accident but pretty gruesome.. My dad directed painting operations on a ship in a Chinese shipyard several years back. Some of the operation involved steel replacement, and they had large sections of hull steel stacked up like dominoes on the dock. Some Chinese worker sat up against one side of the steel plates to have his lunch, and while he was there, a forklift slammed into the other end, and knocked over the entire stack onto him. They stopped work for less than five minutes to collect his remains, give a minute of silence, and the foreman put them right back to work.

China is a dangerous place and I'm not looking forward to the possibility of having to do some shipyard work there in the next year or two.

One of the worst things ive ever seen on the job involved a vehicle slamming into the back of a concrete truck while it was unloading. The car was doing around 80mph and the concrete truck driver was caught between the back of the truck and the car. It was almost hard to believe that it happened right in front of me. Both the driver and the concrete truck driver died instantly. Talk about a mess. I had some fucked up dreams after that but im ok. And another time on the job a state trooper pulled over a car for speeding in the construction zone and the driver didnt pull far enough over onto the shoulder. An oncoming car hit him and drug him around 100ft. He managed to live but i dont know what kind of life he lives now.

Ive seen faces of death and was a little unhinged by it, but when you see it with your own two eyes its a different animal altogether.

P.s. the worst thing ive ever had happen to me (cant believe im tellin this) was burn both hands saving my house from being burned down. I narrowly avoided getting skin grafts and was out of work for 2.5 months. At least i had a place to heal up tho. Once a grease fire gets out of control, melts a stove down and starts burning cabinets your only recourse is moving the pan and then goin for the fire extinguisher. I have pics but im pretty sure yall dont wanna see lol.

One of my cousins is epileptic.

He was working at a donut shop, and had a seizure while working at a fryer.

Both arms to the biceps, chin, throat and splashes to chest, 2nd an 3rd degree.

He was in the ICU Burn Unit at UCSD Med Ctr for four months, took over a year to recover to some semblance of normalcy.

Before that he almost sawed his right leg off at the thigh as a teenager.

He was working with a portable circular saw, he disabled the guard, then with a whopping brainfart, sat it on his thigh while it was still freespinning.

Lifeflighted to hospital, something like 200 stitches, three weeks in the hospital an six months of PT.

Still a bit gimpy.

I stay away from him.

Edited by ChileRelleno