Do you think negotiating on prices of new guns is ok  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think negotiating on prices of new guns is o

• nyes
    • no

So there are two big gun stores in my town. One is owned by a guy thats worked in various gun stores that came and went in the same town for 10+ years.

The other is a new start up that saw a business opportunity and wad out of work from auto body repair. The new guy prices all his stuff and theres no negotiating.

I went to the veteran gun store guy and asked about how much he would knock off sticker and he said he had been getting blasted on the internet for giving special deals. He did end up knocking a little off and flat told he the other store was being compared to his.

So how do you guys feel about special deals is it the old way and going out? Will it be more like buying stuff at the supermarket?

If I want big box store assraped with no choice, then I'll go where there is no opportunity for haggling, some folks like it that way. I personally prefer the personal touch of buying from someone whom I have developed a relationship with and don't feel assfuked when I leave their store. I actually try to buy from him before I make any purchase on the interwebs.

I went to the C&E gun show yesterday.  I wanted to pick up two things, bullets and primers.  So I found the bullets, bought them, and realized that I left my fifty dollar bill at home, I was left with $29 dollars, shit.  Primers ranged from $30-$33 per thousand.

Still I was confident that I could offer 25, haggle a little, and walk away paying 29, saving up to four dollars if I played my cards right.  Right?  WRONG!!!

The first three vendors wouldnt budge a cent, but were nice about it, i guess.  

The last one was a real bitch.  I was trying to get a dollar break on 1k wolf primers.  They were 30 freaking dollars and I had 29.  I was my usual cordial self, and simply told her the truth, that I was short a dollar, I know theres tax too, and asked if she could please work with me a bit.  She said, "The tax is included, AND THEY COST 30 DOLLARS!scorn.gif "  I looked at her and said 'All due respect mam, Im not trying to rip you off, I left my wallet on the kitchen table (which was the truth), and cant even use an ATM "  To which she replied "My ass you did"!!!!  Christ, what a cunt..

Ive seen her and her booth at the past 4 shows, so I know shell be at the next one in august.  I will have my revenge!!!!  Ill probably act like im interested in the most expensive item on her table, talk about it for ten minutes, get to the register, then tell her that I recognize her from 'somewhere', Then terminate the sale' realizing' how I know her.  That should sufficiently chap her ass.   And all over a fucking dollar.

The kicker is, I gave two dollars for some charity on the other end of the building.  Actually, Im glad I didnt give any money to that whore.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 2

As a business owner I'll just throw something into the discussion.  Just food for thought.

When the rent is due on my building, I don't get to haggle.

When the electric bill is due I don't get to haggle.

When the phone/internet bill is due I don't get to haggle.

You get the picture.

We try to price our goods so that the customer gets a fair deal and after we pay all our expenses we actually have a little left to live on.

So sometimes we won't haggle.  Sometimes we will.

• Like 7

i did vote yes, but i'm lucky enough that my local gunstore is very well priced. its essentially a hole in the wall, and their accessory selection is horrible, but for firearms their prices can't be beat.

there is another shop about 10 miles down the road that is about the size of a walmart. they have about 1500-2000 guns on display, tons of accesories, and about 30-40 safes.  their prices are consistently 30% higher than my shop.  i realize their overhead is obviously higher, but i just can't bring myself to buy from them, and they don't haggle.

I absolutely HATE haggling. If they don't put a fair price on it to begin with, I'm not going to stand there and argue until it goes down. My time is worth more to me than that.

That said, I'll go to the little guys almost every time, unless that guy's an asshole.

If the pricing is fair, I will pay it no questions asked. Typically I have done the research and know what fair market value is. If I am buying multiple items in one purchase, i.e two firearms at one time, I will politely ask if they will offer a discount. If they will great, if not I will likely still make the purchase. I do not haggle in the sense of making an offer, counteroffer, etc. Some people love that stuff, it is just not for me. I do look for places that price the stuff well, treat their customers with respect, and do not gouge when bad news appears.

I had this girlfriend one time when I was in my teens, I met up with her one day later in life, about 25, and I asked he why she never gave me "ANY f0ckers.gif " she said "because you never asked for "ANY" bad_egg.gif

Now I ALWAYS ask for some and often get at least a little victory.gif

• Like 1

I only buy through Mo's Guns anymore... Went to bootcamp with the guy & he's somewhat local.. Man Law dictates that I have to, no?.... Granted, if I want anything from anywhere, he'll bring it in... he normally takes very good care of me!

I only buy through Mo's Guns anymore... Went to bootcamp with the guy & he's somewhat local.. Man Law dictates that I have to, no?.... Granted, if I want anything from anywhere, he'll bring it in... he normally takes very good care of me!

Sounds like my buddy Mark, who owns Allegheny Trade Co. I've know him forever. He's a great guy. If I want it, he'll get it for me, and his prices are fair.

...Too bad he's retiring this year, but then again, I'll get to go shooting with him more often, so it's all good.

I have my favorite dealers,  box stores might have what I want on hand, but prices kill me. One of my dealers loves to haggle, to the point I just ask "What's my price?". The other will ask me what the price tag says and tells me what my price is.

I'm all for saving money, I've worked for it. But I understand the rules of business.

Their in business to make money, I'm in business to save it. I don't mind paying to keep the doors open, but I'm not gonna pay the mortgage on the place with one purchase.

Lord knows, I've paid a lot of electric bills, mortgages, Hell, complete remodels on shops over the years.

I'm just glad I've gotten to know the guys that believe return customers are happy to spend more money over time.

• Like 3

I don't play the haggling game. If something is over priced to the extent that id think to, i just laugh n walk off. For example, when i was lookin for a pap m92 a local shop wanted 750$ for one when the going price online was 500$. I chuckled and left. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and the same shop had stock 10/22s for 200$. I picked one up with no questions asked lol.

The guy I talked about in the OP always prices his guns fair just about 10 or 15 higher than he would take. So he can haggle a little. Didn't bother me. The new guy in town was also gouging during the panic after sandy hook. He wassellingpmags at 45 and at one point I heard he had GI ar15 mags for 60. The shop in town with the real gun guy Never went above MSRP in his mags.

The guy I talked about in the OP always prices his guns fair just about 10 or 15 higher than he would take. So he can haggle a little. Didn't bother me. The new guy in town was also gouging during the panic after sandy hook. He wassellingpmags at 45 and at one point I heard he had GI ar15 mags for 60. The shop in town with the real gun guy Never went above MSRP in his mags.

Guy #2=prick, we have several of them around here and I don't spend any of my money with them.

I love to haggle.  One of the two LGS's I deal with would probably fall over dead if I didn't fuck with him at least a little over pricing.  The other likes cash.  I saved $17 on a drum yesterday offering him cash.

I had this girlfriend one time when I was in my teens, I met up with her one day later in life, about 25, and I asked he why she never gave me "ANY f0ckers.gif " she said "because you never asked for "ANY" bad_egg.gif

Now I ALWAYS ask for some and often get at least a little victory.gif

When I was a kid maybe 18-19, I met this girl that was an absolute knockout, blonde, blue-eyed, Barbie doll cute (she was the same age as me).

We were out party hopping and it got late, I told her I would take her home. She said she couldn't go home, she told her parents she was sleeping over at a friend's house. So I took her home to Mom & Dad's house and let her sleep on the couch in the family room. Even gave her an old set of my jammies that she wore and she looked even hotter in them. And she smelled good too.  She was that one in a million hook-up.

My buddies were all asking, "How the hell did you pull that off?"   smile.png

She was practically begging me to do her, but I didn't since I just met her and was being "a nice guy".

Still kicking myself for that one.   what.gifwet_eyes.gif

There are a few things in my life I regret doing, that was one of the big ones I regret not doing.

As to the topic.... I don't do business with the LGS around here other than transfers, they all overprice everything.

Edited by Spartacus

I haggle EVERYWHERE. I simply ask if their prices are negotiable. Short and sweet. If yes, then I make an offer. If no, I go no further with the discussion and decide if I want to pay that price. Even at major retailers who don't negotiate in the real sense, I still search for an item I want from the store online at a lower price and ask them if they'll match that. The answer is almost always yes.

• Like 2

I haggle EVERYWHERE. I simply ask if their prices are negotiable. Short and sweet. If yes, then I make an offer. If no, I go no further with the discussion and decide if I want to pay that price. Even at major retailers who don't negotiate in the real sense, I still search for an item I want from the store online at a lower price and ask them if they'll match that. The answer is almost always yes.

Yup!

I hate haggling but it wouldnt matter. The few local stores here dont haggle to begin with, never have. One will budge a little if its cash. The other one wont, not even if the gun has been sitting for a year or more. Im lucky inthe fact that they are fairly priced. No crazy markups and very good prices on used guns. Generally they mark up $75-$100 on a used gun. If you are trading in towards another gun they'll give you the better price but if you see a used gun for $500 its a safe bet that the previous owner got $400-$425 for it

It's in my blood. I have to try to work you down on the price.

Know the dealer cost of the item and consider the markup to keep the lights on.

Gunbroker and other online shops give you a great market trend on whatever item you want. I find that a few local shops are always lower than big box stores and online. If I know it's a fair price and I'm buying something over a few hundred dollars, I try to get them to thrown in a box of ammo.

There are a few shops locally that have high prices. Cabellas sucks and we just go there to look. They don't barter at all unless you print out a sale price from a competitor. Sportsman Ski Haus will have high prices but will try to earn your business if they know the prices are lower somewhere else. Snappys is always high priced and you will get a fair deal if you throw down the cash and stand firm. Talk is talk. They don't seem to budge if you are kicking tires. I saved a few hundred last time I put clean crisp bills on the table for a shotgun. I knew what it was worth and they were making a good markup.

Long story short. You would be silly to not try to barter a little on guns. It's part of the culture and cash is king. Don't be the guy who wants to haggle about a 20 dollar difference and then pull out your credit card. Card fees suck for a business.

The more you purchase from a dealer, the better deal you will get. A relationship with a dealer is just as important as a relationship with your mechanic or other service providers.

• Like 2

When I go to a gun store, I usually know what I want, but im open to receive an experienced gun handlers opinion. Sadly, those opinions are always: "Those new X are crap" and "A .45 is better. Why? Its just better".

So, I go in, see if they have what I want. If they do, ill mention I can get it online for $XX, but I like local service even if it costs more, can we make a deal close to that? They get pissed and say no, at that point offended and dont even counteroffer.

The only places that keep their uninformed opinions to themselves are the big box places, those guys could be semi-pro poker players, but they are usually overpriced with no leeway to haggle.

So, I order online, usually taking advantage of layaway too.

I’ll try every time to get at least a little taken off the price or have something extra thrown in like ammo. The bottom line is chances are if you look and wait you can get something at a reasonable price. They’re not going to give it away and I’m not going to pay more than what it’s worth to me.

I never try to buy a gun in times of ban panic, but I’ve sold a few then. A friend of mine bought some stuff at a nameless gun shop in Crestview on Main during a ban panic and paid some ridiculous prices for it I’m sure the people laughed all the way to the bank.

Pretty much what Stryker said. Mom and Pop dealers usually are priced at 10 to 15% of their costs. Some a little more depending on costs of turning on lights. Don't be "That" jerk that says x dollars cheaper on gunbroker. remember to add transfer fee and shipping costs (minimum $50). Usually higher than buying local. All my local dealers known for years, since I was in business.  All will do that transfer, make that quick $25 to $30 dollars. Some, since it crosses their books will charge sales tax. If you just use their FFL to get it shipped, buyer has to do all the paying and ordering (sales tax not required). Yes, there is a "Know it all" dealer, prices are high, yet stocks a bunch of techno stuff a large inventory. He's high, unless you know and he quickly figures out, then better price can be made. I just like to ride along with a curious buyer once in awhile and watch him work. It amuzes me sometimes.

• Like 1

While selling as an individual is different than as a business I have a selling price in mind that I won’t go below. But this price is based on what the item / gun is worth to me and that may not be anything to do with the true value of the item.

I don’t have to sell to keep my lights on and the item in the safe isn’t costing me anything to feed. So if I sell something great, if I don’t oh well but I’m glad I don’t have to do it to make pay roll.

If it's a reasonable price I will pay sticker with tax and no haggling....but you will throw in a box of ammo for free and give me a deal on a few extra mags or I will take my $$ to someone that will...I don't think that's unreasonable....maybe it is....all the guys I deal with think its fair.