Do you think negotiating on prices of new guns is ok  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think negotiating on prices of new guns is o

• nyes
    • no

The stickers/tags on everything in my LGS are there for the zombies, as they are stupid enough to pay it without question. My FAVORITE LGS is also a pawn shop, it's like fuken Christmas every day. I have never paid the advertised price for anything, even new items, including new guns. I now buy all of our electronics from there too, the deals I get are unfukenbeleiveable. They remember all of the new customers I send  their way over the years, who have all turned into repeat buyers, it's a good deal for all of us. If I get interested in a big ticket item, I go straight to the owner, he gives me "the lowest I can take price", which is usually so good that there is nothing left for me to do except throw down the money. I have built a great relationship with these folks over the years, they give me internet pricing on ammo, you just can't beat that nowadays.

Don't be "That" jerk that says x dollars cheaper on gunbroker. remember to add transfer fee and shipping costs (minimum $50).

The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Quietly walk out, buying nothing, and order it elsewhere.

2) Give the store owner the opportunity to earn my business.

With 20 years in retail management, I much prefer the second option, buying and selling. I dont always get the sale, but most of the time I do.

Well at the moment on an auction site I’m a gun store with several things up for sale. I’m getting emails with people asking me questions (that’s cool) or telling me what the item is worth or what I’m doing wrong. Best one was a guy said my price was too low but he didn’t buy the item (yet?). big_smile.gif

As I said earlier when I go to sell something I price it at what it’s worth to me if it sells great if not oh well wait a few months and try it again. Doesn’t cost anything but a little time.

In one case I saw someone selling new guns for with a little less add-ons (sights) than what I was trying to sell a used gun for, I took the item off the listing, I’m not going to fight a better deal listed that’s right next to me. bad_egg.gif Again I don’t have to sell the stuff to keep the lights on and make payroll just thinning the herd again and maybe picking up a dollar or 2 for a buy of my own at some point.

As a prior business owner it used to crack me up when customers would try to talk me down in price.

What they didn't understand was that my style of getting the job was to low-ball the estimate and undercut the competition. Not a lot of profit but, it kept me busy and I never cheated anyone out of their hard-earned money.

99% of the time they become repeat costumers, even years later.

• Like 3

The more you purchase from a dealer, the better deal you will get. A relationship with a dealer is just as important as a relationship with your mechanic or other service providers.

^^^^  This.    I have a small gun store and have been open 3 years now... I will haggle a little on most prices, depending on my profit margin on that weapon.    Repeat customers will get the best deal I can offer over someone off of the street or someone who basically demands a drop in price.

Edited by waltham_41
  • Like 3

When Saigas were on sale for $300 a couple years back, I walked into my LGS to see what he wanted for one I could pick up immediately. $499. I tried to show him the sales on J&G and AIM sites on my phone, he didn't even want to look. He offered to sell me a Century Vz-2008 instead. Not what I wanted, not interested in making a fair deal on the Saiga considering where the market prices had dipped to. I would've even gone for $400 - which is about what it ended up being to order from J&G after shipping and transfer.

I never bought another gun from that place after that.

• Like 1

When Saigas were on sale for $300 a couple years back, I walked into my LGS to see what he wanted for one I could pick up immediately. $499. I tried to show him the sales on J&G and AIM sites on my phone, he didn't even want to look. He offered to sell me a Century Vz-2008 instead. Not what I wanted, not interested in making a fair deal on the Saiga considering where the market prices had dipped to. I would've even gone for $400 - which is about what it ended up being to order from J&G after shipping and transfer.

I never bought another gun from that place after that.

I would have then asked the price for transfer and ordered it right there on my phone. Add insult to injury by buying it from them through him.

I did on separate occasion: they wanted $50 for a transfer. No thanks. Found a local FFL that does them for $20 and I don't have to fight the gun shop horde and old guys gathered around the coffee pot to get his attention.

Our local, small, friendly, Class 3 gun show out here in SW Oregon USA has very competitive prices on new guns and actually has his available ammo, (what he has) very well priced indeed. In fact some of us have suggested that he could raise his ammo prices and still make the sale. It is a two hour round trip to the next available gun shop. I think he runs the place for something to do. Very nice guy. HB of CJ (old coot)