Yes it was, I thought production would be much more automated.

I always like the beginning of Lord of War, following a 7.62x39 round through production, export & final use.

I wonder if that is a real plant, of course not, but cool none the less.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

Man, i have to see that movie now! That was awesome! The first vid was neat as hell too!

ETA: i will never look at my steel mags the same way again. I had no clue the amount of hands on work they required.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

I always like the beginning of Lord of War, following a 7.62x39 round through production, export & final use.

That was some pretty mediocre cg.  Always struck me more as the opening of a video game than a big budget movie.

• Like 1

My favorite movie intro, and one of my favorite movies ever.

The AK mags were pretty interesting, wonder if CSSpecs does it in a similar way.

My favorite movie intro, and one of my favorite movies ever.

The AK mags were pretty interesting, wonder if CSSpecs does it in a similar way.

I wear safety glasses, and my presses have fairly modern safety systems on them, air clutches, anti-tie down push buttons ect... But yes its a very similar process. We use four presses and exchange tooling rather than having a couple dozen machines. Our welding method is slightly different, however looking at it I think our way is more accurate.

I plan show the process of making Vepr-12 mags at the end of the video series of developing them.. Should be an interesting video (it won't be as well done as these guys).

• Like 2

it IS a cool sequence for movie-goers who don't know anything about guns, but...

- the cartridge never receives a primer or a powder charge, so it would be pretty useless overall

- brass-cased soviet-manufactured ammo?

- thousands of cartridges standing on their own on soviet-era conveyor belts?

- spot the med-speed diesel generator. it doesn't know what it's doing there either.

- anyone that ever opened a crate of soviet surplus knows that it's actually pretty damn neatly-packed, not just dumped into a crate

otherwise it is a GREAT movie, one of the few Nick Cage movies that I think he was a perfect fit for.

next time you watch it, pay close attention to the huge racks of AKs when he talks to his first Russian contact... look really closely at them smile.png

Edited by mancat

I turned that video off less than 2 minutes into it. Literally could not watch any more. I have on going nightmares of morphing--coming alive zombie fashion--evil killing 1930s era heavy machinery trying to chase me down and chew me up. Even the color in the video is the same industrial green I see in my nightmares. Wow...is that industrial machinery OLD.... and very dangerous. See the older gentleman actually having to squat and lean forward to feed sheet steel into the drop sheer? Some of the belts and pulleys do not even have safety guards around them! That production shop is an accident waiting to happen. My read only. Yikes!! HB of CJ (old coot) sad.png

Probably no heat either. See the heavy clothing? Gloves? Hats? More Yikes! No thank you... I would pass working there.

The Nick Cage film used, I believe, a carrot processing machine. They had guys behind it tossing finished loaded 39 ammo into the inspection chutes. They faked it. No way is actual ammo loaded that way. We all, (most of us) have toured the big Winchester and Lake City ammo plants watching the automated machines loading up all sorts of ammo...much fun to watch.

Edited by HB of CJ

Are you serious about the nightmares? That's crazy if true.

If the intro zoom-in on the video is accurate, the factory is in Bosnia. May not even be a real production facility, but just a small collection of the proper machinery to do it, taken from a larger retired factory. You'd think a production line for AK mags would be quite a bit bigger.

Russian manufacturing processes can be interesting, especially in former client nations today. Sometimes small batch shops are very popular. We toured some stuff in Albania that would literally look just dandy... in England in 1820, right out of some old excellent Charles Dicken's book. All that was missing was some orphan kids by the name of Oliver Twist...running the dangerous machinery. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB of CJ

it IS a cool sequence for movie-goers who don't know anything about guns, but...

- the cartridge never receives a primer or a powder charge, so it would be pretty useless overall

- brass-cased soviet-manufactured ammo?

- thousands of cartridges standing on their own on soviet-era conveyor belts?

- spot the med-speed diesel generator. it doesn't know what it's doing there either.

- anyone that ever opened a crate of soviet surplus knows that it's actually pretty damn neatly-packed, not just dumped into a crate

otherwise it is a GREAT movie, one of the few Nick Cage movies that I think he was a perfect fit for.

next time you watch it, pay close attention to the huge racks of AKs when he talks to his first Russian contact... look really closely at them smile.png

You don't even need to look that closely to see what they really are :P

It's definitely worth czeching out.

• Like 1