Sign in to follow this  
cscharlie

Press plates to remove gas and front site blocks

Probably easiest way is to make them. Get some heavy scrap from a fabrication shop, and saw,drill dremmell and weld EXACTLY what you want

Back in the days of fabricating almost everything, vjor (I think) was making press plates.

I don't think they sold very well though and fell by the wayside.

Back in the days of fabricating almost everything, vjor (I think) was making press plates.

I don't think they sold very well though and fell by the wayside.

Yea, at one point he was gauging interest for brass plate to press parts back on but didn't generate enough interest...

I also use an open end wrench with plates that came with the press but then I bought a barrel press kit from akbuilder.com that came with a set of bars and they haven't left the press since no matter what part I'm installing/removing. They're little more than 2 pieces of keystock ( 3/4 in perhaps) with holes in the ends and long bolts to help hold alignment.

The bars from akbuilder are most likely heat treated, however, using them in addition to the plates, already available, their strength is improved.

Edited by bsiks

+1 to the AK Builder press kit.  I also made a set of press plates as described in the subject line....  Clamped two bars of 3/4" steel side by side tightly, and then drilled down the seam at the center with the appropriate size bit using the drill press.  Between those, the bars from the AK Builder kit, and some plain steel plates, I can strip an entire AK barrel easily enough with my homebuilt 12 ton press.