Modifying A Saiga 12 Legally - What options are available - Texas

Hello,

I am new to modifying guns and want to modify my home defense saiga 12 while staying 100% legal in the state of Texas.

So far I like these items.

1.  chaos quad rail system

2.  change the gas plug for different types of less lethal ammo

3.  higher capacity magazine - probably never needed but you never know how many people to expect.

4.  shortened barrel - What length?  I like ability to move around through doors easily - I am researching tax stamp options or if this is even possible.

5.  folding stock - recommendations?

6.  move the trigger - seems to be a popular mod but unsure why other then to get rid of the bar

7.  pistol grip - recommendations?

8.  flashlight - probably would not use but I would like to have

9.  sights - What are some options here?

Where can I go to find out which of these are legal and which are not?  Also any recommendations/feedback that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure they'd all be legal in Texas, as long as you comply with 922r. (look it up, along with your state laws)

#3: The CSSpecs steel mags are very nice.

#5: if money is no big issue, and you have some skill with metal working, I can recommend the AK100, or triangle folding stocks, very solid. (haven't used any others that were good)

#6: Moving the trigger is done to remove some of the complication of the factory trigger, and doing it will improve the trigger pull, and balance of the shotgun.

Just do the normal restoration to the proper AK configuration and do it the proper way which you will figure out by reading around on this site as well as CSS and other places.  This includes reliability work and barrel shortening etc.  Also, looking around on this site will show you all of the various options for stocks and pistol grips.  Last thing is don't put rails all over it.  You don't need them unless you are an airsoft mall-ninja.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of questions about the 922r law on shotgun forums.  I don't pretend to unerstand all the ins and outs of it and naturally I would comply with any and all firearm laws and wouldn't counsel anyone to do anything different.

Wnever I read about the law and the technical aspects of it, I always wonder about the enforcement of it.  Here's a story that may be interesting to some of you.

Back during the height of the AWB under Klinton I had some kind of questions about getting a Suppressor or some such thing and I called the local ATF office in Kentucky.  After getting my questions answered, I asked about the AWB and the magazine ban and so forth.  The agent I was talking with was a nice guy and told me to call this other guy in the Cincinnati office and he could answer any question I wanted to ask about the gun laws.  So I called him and started talking.  I asked about the AWB and it's enforcement.  I then asked him a simple question.  I asked him if he and a couple of his fellow agents wanted to go out and do some target shooting at the local range and they ended up beside a couple of guys that had what appeared to be a few weapons including handguns, AK's and AR's.  I asked him what he and his pals would do if they saw the man and his buddy take out a few magazines that were HiCap and CLEARLY marked LEO only and started shooting with them.  They had more than a couple of them.  He kinda laughed and told me that he would simply go over to the guy and introduce himself as an ATF agent and remind him that his magazines were against the law and that he should remove them and either destroy them or take them to his local PD and turn them in to them.  I asked if he would arrent them or charge them with anything.  He simply said NO WAY, not for something like that.  He said a lot of people simply don't understand the breadth and depth of firearms laws and that he would explain it to them and let them make the decision on how they wanted to proceed, but they would not arrest the men.  I was rather surprised by this and his comments.  He then told me that he didn't know of a SINGLE instance NATIONWIDE where someone was charged and prosecuted for an illegal Hi-Cap magazine or having a "prohibited Assault Weapon."  I was just stunned by these comments.  He told me that if they nailed you in some other kind of Felony like dope dealing, bank robbery or other serious things like that, that they WOULD tack on the hicap magazine violation or the illegal Assault Weapon and such to get more time put on you.  Take that for what it's worth

I'm sure things are not the same today with the agents as it seems a great many LEO's, both federal and local, are all too eager to charge you if you are in violation.  Still, I would be willing to bet that there has not been a single person that has been charged under that law because their shotgun didn't have the requisite number of American made parts in it.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  How would they know?  Are they gonna see your Saiga 12 at the range and say "hey there, bring that weapon over here.  I want to call my firearms expert and then thoroughly examine it to make sure you are in compliance with 922r and if there is but 1 single part that is not legal, you're going to jail right here, right now."  I would be willing to bet every weapon I have or ever will have that 90% of BATFE agents couldn't look at non-compliant parts and recognize them as so.  These are the kinds of "crimes: that get added onto you after they get you for something else and they use the 922r as a way to get you into Federal Court and then take away your right to ever own a gun again.

Just my opinion.  I am pretty sure I wouldn't worry one bit about making sure my weapon, if I had one, had all those comliant parts in it.

Nalajr