Normal?  The world's most ubiquitous round is still America's Most Wanted around here!

I'm glad that 7.62x39 is back to inflation-adjusted normalcy.  Still, I worry the omnipresent vacancies on store shelves is becoming the new normal.

$99.00 for 1,100 rounds was normal around here 015.gif

that price here was for military surplus Yugo on stripper clips. commercial WOLF was something like 70-some bucks. of course a Romanian SAR AK was 200-some bucks or less too.

ah, the good ol days, gone but not forgotten 021.gif

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

How long ago was that?  I was just going through my old emails and found some 2010 flyers from AIM that listed PMC Bronze .223 55gr at $6.79/20, which I just noticed is only 20 cents cheaper than they're selling it for now.  Though, from what I'm seeing, 7.62x39 could still the most overpriced, adjusting for inflation.  Golden Tiger was $3.99/20 around then too, which translates to $216.20/1000 in today's money—noticeable, but not too far from $234.95 at SG Ammo.  On the other hand, I have an invoice from that period that shows a box price for Wolf HPs of $4.30, which is about $4.66 in 2014 money.  The same stuff goes for $4.59-4.79 at AIM now, depending on the quantity.

How long ago was that?  I was just going through my old emails and found some 2010 flyers from AIM that listed PMC Bronze .223 55gr at $6.79/20, which I just noticed is only 20 cents cheaper than they're selling it for now.  Though, from what I'm seeing, 7.62x39 could still the most overpriced, adjusting for inflation.  Golden Tiger was $3.99/20 around then too, which translates to $216.20/1000 in today's money—noticeable, but not too far from $234.95 at SG Ammo.  On the other hand, I have an invoice from that period that shows a box price for Wolf HPs of $4.30, which is about $4.66 in 2014 money.  The same stuff goes for $4.59-4.79 at AIM now, depending on the quantity.

I'm thinking it was around 2010-2011 the last time I purchased it at that price. I still have one of the green wooden cases never opened. I have no Idea what language is written on it, could be Russian for all I know. I typically buy bulk from The Armory, I can order online and pick it up locally, but they don't have much of anything in stock anymore sad.png

early/mid 2000s.

I regret not buying AK parts kits when they were just barely over $50, with original barrels. Didn't know shit about guns, still thought AKs were illegal machine guns, and "why the fuck would anyone want a parts kit?"

• Like 2

Hell, I was buying 1000 rounds of brass cased .223 FMJ from a guy in Wisconsin, not too long ago for $175.00, yes it was reloaded and reload able after I shot it, but now it's going for about $350 - 400 per 1K. EVERY X39 brass case I see laying on the ground, goes into my pockets for reloading. Wolf did have some boxer primed steel cased ammo out there, so check your cases after shot. You can can get 1 more reload out of steel if push comes to shove.

Wisconsin Cartridge Co.???  Bought from them for years.

Locally $4.99 a box of Wolf "military classic" HP's on sale, but out of stock right now. (guess who's buying it up 10 boxes at a time)

Still have an unopened case and 1100 left in the other of Yugo M67.  There's some nice wood in those crates, may have to sand, stain, and varnish one.

I still have one of the green wooden cases never opened. I have no Idea what language is written on it,

that is the Yugoslavian surplus ammo, when you open it the ammo is packed in galvanized steel. it's brass cased and has corrosive primer.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

just like oil and gasoline.......strategy is jack the price until the old price is the new price then people are happy just to see it at the new price. All ammo will never be "normal again" normal for 762 was under 200 6 years ago. Normal in 2 years will be under 250. .....in 6 more years who knows. But as long as we are happy with the normal....

• Like 2

Still waiting on .22LR bulk packs to become readily available again.... shame.gif

I still have some WalMart Federal 550rd, bulk packs with $8.96 stickers on them.

Just remember - TODAY is the good ole days....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Back then, early 00's, I wasnt interested in this stuff. I had a KBI Hungarian ban AK that only took 10 round single stack mags. I think it was called the AK 2000 or something. Anyway, I had that, 2 mags and maybe a 100 round of ammo and I knew I was set. Afterall who need more ammo then that? Along with that cheesy AK I had a Tokarev, DE.50, S&W 629 44mag, Taurus PT145 and I might be forgetting one or two more lame things. Man how I wish I could go back, grab some awesome parts kits, ammo, mags........ahhhh....daydream

early/mid 2000s.

I regret not buying AK parts kits when they were just barely over $50, with original barrels. Didn't know shit about guns, still thought AKs were illegal machine guns, and "why the fuck would anyone want a parts kit?"

Yep, same here. Wish I had known then what I know now.

early/mid 2000s.

Yep, same here. Wish I had known then what I know now.

Add me to that list... Missed that bandwagon by a mile.

I've seen the great deals come around. I bought all I could with no regrets.

I stocked deep on 7N6 because it was such a great buy at $150 a tin.. I still need another rifle to shoot it, but that should be less of a problem soon.

At my current rate of use I'll be shooting it late into my 40s