saiga 308 OEM mags or csspecs?

Im currently on the fence as to whether i should pick up more 308 OEM mags or opt for csspecs mags. I have to admit steel mags are tempting but weight in this case is a huge factor. Mine is set up as a 'saiganov' and its a hefty fucker to tote around in the mountain woods as is. In all actuality id like to chop the barrel to 18in just to shave more weight off of it. Id either get oem 8 rounders or a csspecs 5 & a couple 10 rounders. Is there any huge difference in weight between the two? Functionality? Longevity with springs? Id just like to hear all your thoughts on the matter. Thanks again!

I'd yourok with the lower capacity of the oem mags id stick with them. Also where are you getting the oem mags cause id like some. And you can mod the factory mag to hold 10 easily and it hasent affected reliability with me. The steel mags are great and idsuggest you get at least one to try out.

It's too early to compare spring longevity - but that's a replaceable part, secondary in importance to geometry and reliability. I've handled all the .308 mags on the market now, as far as I know - and Csspecs are super well-made. They're a little heavier than plastic - oh well. They'll last forever. All the geometry is right, lockup is tight in my buddy's rifle, and they work as reliably as any combloc steel mag in x39.

• Like 1

I figured I'd post the weights of each mag weighed on the same scale one right after another. Your looking at a three ounce difference on the ten round.

Factory 8rd 5.04 ounce

Csspecs 5rd 8.08 ounce

Csspecs 10rd 8.90 ounce

Csspecs 15rd 10.80 ounce

Csspecs 20rd 12.48 ounce

For referance Surplus steel AK mags weigh 13-18 ounces depending on model, and have roughly equal interior volume.

• Like 3

Ah, straight from the man himself! Thanks alot csspecs i appreciate the info! I know ounces equal pounds but i think regardless ill have to try your mags. :)

I'd yourok with the lower capacity of the oem mags id stick with them. Also where are you getting the oem mags cause id like some. And you can mod the factory mag to hold 10 easily and it hasent affected reliability with me. The steel mags are great and idsuggest you get at least one to try out.

Monty, i was looking at them on the CSS website. And you're probably right, the answer isnt either/or but both! Lol.

• 1 month later...

The only real good thing about low cap mags is there is less stress on critical points just from ammo weight and leverage.

CS makes a good one as does SGM (considering it is low cap) so any would do. 

Hmm $75 huh, may sell that little thing and get another CS 

• 1 month later...

I am finding that the most current generation of Csspecs mags fit the mag well better than OEM mags and are miles ahead of FBMG / Unita / Surefire mags, in terms of fit, finish and durability.  The Csspecs are the only mags I'll but from now on (while supplies last).

I have some 1st generation Csspecs (Slab sided) 20-round, S-308's I'll sell ya if you want them...

Macbeau sends...

I've had 2 out of 7 unitna mags break the locking lug off. The first mag they replaced the second time it happens they didn't return my emails. I have one csspec it's a15 round mag and works great. The sgm mags also work great. And hold the bolt open.

I am finding that the most current generation of Csspecs mags fit the mag well better than OEM mags and are miles ahead of FBMG / Unita / Surefire mags, in terms of fit, finish and durability.  The Csspecs are the only mags I'll but from now on (while supplies last).

I have some 1st generation Csspecs (Slab sided) 20-round, S-308's I'll sell ya if you want them...

I had some of those early Csspecs mags too. He's certainly come a long way. My favorite recent improvement is the shape of the floorplates, which are MUCH less sharp than before. I picked up a new 20 rounder the other day, and the quality of it is no less than that of the 7.62x39 steel mags produced by various militaries.

• 4 months later...

Got my csspecs in, i picked up a 10 rounder and 2 15 rounders on the black friday sale and im very impressed w the quality of them. Its so funny to see them next to a 10 round ak mag, absolutely dwarfs it! Can't wait to test it and see how it handles. Now, back to trying to get those 5 round promags to let me pull the damn charging handle back when loaded...

I have 3 of the 20 round csspec mags.  I like them a lot.  In above freezing conditions, all 3 have functioned flawlessly.  The one difference I noted was when I had them out last winter up in Northern Michigan.  It was about 10˚ F with high wind.  The OEM polymer 8 rounder functioned flawlessly.  The metal mags all went nuts.  FTF,  FTE, double feeds.  Double ejects.  Crazy stuff.  I dont fault CSSpecs.  I have heard that this is true with most metal mags.  The cases conract, the springs contract, they open up in spots and shrink in others.  Best trick I heard was keeping you next mag under your armpit. I tried that and it worked.  If I found a source for some 20 rd polymer mags with the same build quality as CSSpecs, I would pick up a few to have a s cold weather mags.  Otherwise, the metal csspec mags are awesome.  

Cold (below 20*F) mags will go wonky if they are oiled!  Extreme cold makes oil act like sticky molasses. Russians thin their winter gun oil with gasoline - we have better choices.Use 0W30 synthetic,marvel mystery oil or Gibbs oil. Silicone dry lube works too.

That is odd. The amount steel changes in even subzero is minimal. I would almost suspect something else at work like frozen condensation on the inside. 

My mags were not oiled since I bought them new.  The condensation would have to be only in the mags because the rifle fired fine with the polymer mag.  Condensation is somewhat possible since I took them from inside to outside and started firing within a few minutes.   Any tricks to preventing condensation?

Condensation freezes. Ice sticks to bare metal. A THIN film of a very thin oil prevents ice from sticking to metal.Silicone or molly dry lube works too.

COLD AMMO DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME ENERGY AS WARM AMMO. Friction that is no problem with warm guns and ammo may be a problem in extreme cold.

• Like 1

I really like CSSPaec mags.  I would trust my life to them in above freezing temps.  But there is a lot of conflicting info here on why my mags went haywire on me. First someone said it's because they could've been oiled. Then someone else mentioned condensation. Then someone else mentioned oil to prevent the condensation.  I'm just looking for some good tips to get them to work right in the cold.  Or I can just use them as 3 season mags.  My S308 ain't the only Bell at the ball.  

Edited by EZTundra77
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see any confusing info in here. You were told that if it was cold and they were oiled with an oil that would gum up at cold temperatures that could be your problem, or, your guns not being oiled could have caused condensation which froze and bound the bullets up from feeding. Your options are to either oil with proper oil or if that doesn't work clean them and store them in a dry area until use and pray you don't get more condensation. I'd go with a light oiling that isn't very viscous. Oils with low-viscosity are best for use in cold temps, higher the viscosity, the thicker and more gummy they will be when cold

• 4 weeks later...

They were not oiled.  No oil.  No oil in the mags at all.  The gun was oiled properly  The gun functioned flawlessly with the OEM 8 rd mag using the same ammo, kept at the same temperature.  Dry lubricating the metal with dry silicone could make sense.  And condensation on the ammo on the ammo makes sense, but that still wouldn't explain why the factory mag worked.  

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a dog in this fight. But it would seem iced up cartridges would slide on the plastic and "Christmas story" to the metal mag. Steel mag would be below freezing first, cartridges would cool down second and sweat. That sweat would freeze to the metal mag sides and not so much the polymer. I seriously doubt it's a thermal expansion mag issue. It's .000006 of an in/per in/ per degree of temperature. I say ak mags(world renowned reliability) are steel.

Condensation on a heat sink.... Like a piece of sheet metal that came out of a warm car or closet into cold air. Then capillary action to draw the water toward small gaps, like the interaction between follower and body. 

Also your ammo could have coatings on it with higher or lower friction.

Condensation on a heat sink.... Like a piece of sheet metal that came out of a warm car or closet into cold air. Then capillary action to draw the water toward small gaps, like the interaction between follower and body. 

Also your ammo could have coatings on it with higher or lower friction.

I'm really impressed the that saiga 12 forums are open and progressive enough, that we can feel free to speak about coming out of the closet! If squirrels can be gay, I suppose metal can be too.