Bolt Carrier Difference 01 vs 02?

I checked when I had both versions for side by side. The bolt carrier is the same length. It's the gas tube that is different lengths. At least in the two I had. I even swapped em and they function tested fine.

Solid, thanks for the info.

Liberty, in general did you perfer the 01 or 02 Vepr's?

I like V1 for long sight radius on barrels over 16". If you are looking at 16" barrel I don't see much difference. The only issue I  have with V2 is that you can't find a gas tube log enough to use two piece fore grips. So you are limited to 1 piece fore grips, which is not an isssue if you prefer a more modern look than a tradtional look. I just picked up a 20" 5.45 V1 and it's so close to looking like my 20" 223 V1 that I'm thinking about going modern just to keep from having too much of the same thing. LOL

I like V1 for long sight radius on barrels over 16". If you are looking at 16" barrel I don't see much difference. The only issue I  have with V2 is that you can't find a gas tube log enough to use two piece fore grips. So you are limited to 1 piece fore grips, which is not an isssue if you prefer a more modern look than a tradtional look. I just picked up a 20" 5.45 V1 and it's so close to looking like my 20" 223 V1 that I'm thinking about going modern just to keep from having too much of the same thing. LOL

Okay so that was my next post, have you seen the V02 gas tubes at Dinzang, I emailed them and it looks like it is a solution to using standard 2 pc hanguards, what do you think?

Bottom of the page: http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/gastubes.html

Here was the info I got from them: "The gas tube swap you just have to tap the cross pin out in the rear flip aperature, remove the aperature - be sure to not loose the 2 springs - then swap tubes & reinstall."

I was going to use the Bolt on HG retainer w/ it as well.

See any problems?

Edited by Mountain Man

Didn't know those were available. Looks like it solves that issue. Pricey but at least it opens up the option of traditional two piece grips.

On the V2 I had all you needed to do to remove the gas tube was to slide the spring loaded button to the rear of the rifle. It's located just behind the rear sight. You can see it clearly in the photo on the link you provided.

Not sure that you have to remove any pins if they still make them the same way. Should be easy enough either way.