one of those great are you kidding me moments

Sold a 1911 parts gun this weekend so I drug out the other one out that was just a 22 and now I've bought a slide and barrel for to start playing with it.

Well even with my poor shooting of a while at about 10 yards I rarely miss by about 7 inches low every shot. Right and left ok, up and down not so much. Tried a different barrel and bushing got about the same results. Put the barrel and bushing in question in the slide being sold it shot pretty much point of aim so I’m thinking slide.

The slide is a para-ordnance (damn you Don (bother in law para fan)) one I bought it cycles fine locks up good and actually shoots a pretty good group but a bit low for my taste. The sights are a both dovetailed the rear looks to be a standard Novak cut and the front is some narrow para only thing. I think the rear one is the .050 higher than normal one they put out and the front one is about .15 tall the math for a sight correction says I need to change by .16 so I guess I’d have to take the front sight off and grind a .01 deep strip on the end of the slide.

At this point I think I’ll take the dot off the Glock 24 and put it on the 1911 as soon as I can figure out what mount matches the Trijicon MS03 and a Novak dovetail. I emailed Trijicon this morning seeing how the product has a lifetime warranty seems like they’d still cover something about it on their web site, they don’t.

post-26137-0-62010100-1399302232_thumb.jpg

been talking this over with a buddy of mine and have kind of come to believe the barrel lug hole and or link set up on this barrel must be wrong. Cheap Sarco barrel and link (my bad) so I ordered a new barrel and a set of different size links from Midway. Have to see what happens when the new stuff gets here.

Edited by the 4th Doctor

still fitting stuff but went with a comp'ed barrel

kind of wierd the link wouldn't fit in the slot in the lug, a little too tight at the bottom

there's a pretty good gap between the slide and the comp, not like the old Springfield factory comp gun

post-26137-0-42491100-1400109980_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-03312000-1400110007_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-45098900-1400110216_thumb.jpg

Barrels are fitted in 1911s by cutting the underlug with a lug cutting tool.

usually you would put the barrel in max lock up with the upper lugs , then cut the lower lugs.

The link should have nothing to do with the amount of lock up, its only job is to pull the barrel down so the barrel can come out of battery.

The lock up is the slidestop pin and the underlug.

Drop in barrels are supposed to interchange, but are not really fitted to each and every slide frame combination.

It would be expected poi would change.

an adjustable rear sight may help

PS the fitting process for a 1911 barrel involves other details....that is just a short description.

I used to shoot comped 1911 45s in USPSA back in the early 80s

todays race guns look like scifi  well open guns do.

I will be shooting a match friday with a 1911 45 I built.

Its police week and this is a yearly match I attend for my department

Hope your 1911 behaves properly for you

Jim

• Like 1

Yeah I got myself a 45 Springfield factory comp gun as my welcome home gift after Desert Storm for shooting matches, my son has it now. It was always my 2nd favorite 1911. I had one I built that I really put a lot of work into that someone offered me too much money for and I sold it telling myself I could build one just like it, so far I've been wrong on that. Lack the drive and the willingness to spend the time needed plus some of the resources I had available back then I don't have access to now.

Buddy of mine and I have talked about buying one of the hand crank lug cutter tools from Brownells and neither of us has jumped yet.

What I was addressing above is the barrel I got in is maybe the 2nd one I've seen that the center slot of the bottom lug was cut in a way that the link wouldn't fit all the way to the point where the hole would line up to put the pin in.

Considering the size of the hole in this comp it's really more of a muzzle weight than a gas porting device. I'm not feeling too sad about it with a coupon I got it for about $70.00 but I thought this Swenson Semi Drop-In Barrel with Compensator 1911 Government 45 ACP 1 in 16" Twist 5" Government Steel Matte Black from Midway would be a little better than it is, oh well have to wait and see how it shoots.

I also picked up a mount for putting a dot on this when I get it a little further done so I wasn't worried about the fixed sights on there.

Thanks for the input Jim

Phil

well I got the comp'ed barrel in the gun. the gas porting works better than I thought it would, the way I can tell is it would cycle all the loads I have on hand with the old plain barrel and just works with the heavier loads with the comp. with the factory 230 fmj Federal rounds it only ejects about 2 feet. with the 200 lswc with 5.5 grains of 231 (2nd from left) about the same. don't have enough of any working ammo to really play with it right now but it hits damn close to point of aim. with the comp and pewter grips recoil is pretty light. had to work on the feed ramp to get it to feed everything. now I have to get a lighter recoil spring and go from there.

on the subject of barrels the one I took out is OK the problem came from the barrel link I used, it was way too long (maybe the longest one I've come across). put in a normal length link and the barrel is pretty close to on target.

post-26137-0-02265700-1400448883_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor