Stage one:

Built by myself on a nds2ez w/ak builder rivets. Has 12.5" Bulgarian barrel cut & refinished w/11* target crown and perm attached by blind pin extended booster for a total length of 16.25". Sandblasted and parkerized. I like the two tone and thought the park was nice so I decided not to paint it. 

Parts Used:

-number matching Bulgarian BCG/trunnion/dustcover set from MarkW1

-105 bulgy fsgb, rpk adjustable rear sight, saiga gas tube and forearm, cnc warrior extended booster

-MOE stock and CSS tube(excuse the funny angle), tapco ak grip and g2 FCG

post-24335-0-40054800-1399307886_thumb.jpg

Stage two: coming soon

-Adding new CSS tube style forearm, either buckshot or slotted...or ultimak...

-Canis Design groups ak to ar magazine adapter

-Magpul ak pistol grip

-have 2 window'd mags for it. 

Will eventually add CDG's buttock adapter to it when funds permit.

Hope you enjoy!-)

Edited by AZG

Looks really good.. how hard was the AK builder kit?? Do you still have to drill the holes in the receiver and bend and such??

Thank you. I did not use an ak builder kit. The receiver was complete from Nodak Spud. NDS 1 models are for 7.62x39 caliber and NDS2 models are for 5.45x39 models. Suppose they could be used for 5.56 builds as well. Check his website descriptions to be sure. Then I bought the bolt, carrier, front and reat trunnions,dust cover, rear sight block and recoil spring from MarkW1 on another forum.  Barrowed the trigger guard from another kit I had. The rivets my FFL provided as well as the shop press and AK builder riveting tools. Used his drill press, dremil, welder, sandblast and park tank to finish it up. 

To answer your question more directly. If you buy a NDS 1 or 2 in the EZ model, (mine is a NDS2"EZ") the holes come predrilled. Some enlarging of a hole in one direction or another might be required as they dont always line up that way. No bending is required.  If you get the regular NDS 1 or NDS 2 then the holes do not come pre drilled and if you have the AK builder tool, you can drill more precise holes. 

Looks great! I just ordered a a receiver for my AMD65 build today. Had to order it from childers because I went with a double hook trigger. Think I'm going for the same brake on mine.

Thank you. I have one ordered through Childers aswell for my polish akm kit. Interested to see what you end up with. Don't forget to post pics.

Nice build and a great use of misc spare parts.

The NDS2EZ is great. I have one for my 5.56 '74 build.. It will work fine. Ejector and magwell are the same as an SLR106. I just wish NDS still did custom caliber markings. Mine will be mismarked, but oh well.

Did your trunnion holes line up with the predrilled holes?

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Nice build and a great use of misc spare parts.

The NDS2EZ is great. I have one for my 5.56 '74 build.. It will work fine. Ejector and magwell are the same as an SLR106. I just wish NDS still did custom caliber markings. Mine will be mismarked, but oh well.

Did your trunnion holes line up with the predrilled holes?

Thank you. On this one, yes, on customers, most of the time but not always. sometimes they will be off a few mm in one direction or another. never really a big deal. 

Nice! How much do you figure it costs to build as it is currently? I would like to build an AK from scratch, but honestly I'm afraid I would screw it up.

Thanks.

Receiver:$100,

BCG parts from Mark: $135+shipping $5/6,

trigger guard- free, stole it from another kit but are around $30,

16" Bulgarian 74 barrel from kvar-$225,

FSGB$120,

RPK rear sight-free vepr 12 take off but they go for $50,

FCG-$46,

MOE stock-$60,

CSS tube-$70,

gas tube-free take off,

handguard-Free take off,

labor-free,

rivets- free to me, guy I work for doesnt charge me to use his parts/equipment/tools. 

Dinzag 11 degree target crowning tool- $75 or something like that. It has paid for itself so many times now. 

CNC warrior extended booster-$90+shipping

so in parts and shipping alone about $1000+/-. Be even more when Im done.  I hate adding that stuff up. haha

Edited by AZG

Nice bastard child,I like it.

Is the crowning tool caliber specific?

How do you like the cnc extended 4pc? I'm thinking of putting one on my 107cr.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Nice bastard child,I like it.

Is the crowning tool caliber specific?

How do you like the cnc extended 4pc? I'm thinking of putting one on my 107cr.

A bastard is exactly what it is, Thanks ;)

Only thing to my knowledge that is specific is the guide rod. It was origionally for a .223 barrel but have been using a smaller guide rod on the 5.45 aswell with good results. Fixed a cut down 74 barrel to krink length that was keyholing. No longer key holes and I got a free bulgy barrel out of it. 

4 piece extended booster is heavy, but worth it for the extra needed length to get me to 16". Bought a shutrum brake from russiansurplus to do this but came up just short, about 1/4", so I had to go with this. Needless to say my SGL got a new brake out of it. 

from dinzags website:

crown-pilot_thumb.jpg

CPILOT22LR - $25 - crowning pilot for .22LR cal

CPILOT545 - $25 - crowning pilot for 5.45x39 cal

CPILOT223 - $25 - crowning pilot for .223 cal

CPILOT65 - $25 - crowning pilot for 6.5 Grendel

CPILOT68 - $25 - crowning pilot for 6.8 SPC cal

CPILOT762 - $25 - crowning pilot for .308 and 7.62 cal

CPILOT50 - $25 - crowning pilot for .50 Beowulf

crown-tool_thumb.jpg

CROWNR - $55 - Target Crown Tool - 3/4" w/ 11 degree face

Pfft, I was way off on the price. 

Where did you get the 105 gas block? I've been trying like hell to track one of those down.

bought it a year or so ago from krebs. They had them on their website and didnt even know it. 

• 4 weeks later...

No problem. I was looking at building another AR for the wife, maybe even a pistol. I would like a brace for my m85pv. And possibly a vepr 12 with a gk01. I never liked the fact of having a permed brake on my saiga but due to the rarity of it I dealt with it. Now I'm over it and would like something I can change things on.