Most Accurate Ammo?

• 2 weeks later...

What range are you trying for? To reach out to the long ranges like 400+ you'll want something with a high Ballistic Coefficient. BC = .500 or better.  ;)

I'm learning about the long range stuff now, haven't really done much shooting past 200 yds. yet. There's a lot to learn!

Typically I'll buy one box each of as many different kinds of ammo. for that caliber as I can find, and do my own range testing. As Dracozny said, each gun has it's preferences.

As fas as what I have been learning lately, the barrel's twist rate determines which bullets you can use. Heavier longer bullets require faster twist rates. For a given barrel, there is usually a range af bullet weights and lengths that will work.

The article titled "How to Pair Barrel Twist Rates with Bullets" by Keith Wood explains things pretty well. Even though it is for 5.56, it is still relevant to .308.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/12/23/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

Edited by tbryanh
  • Like 1

the good thing with 308 is that the slow twist like the russian rifles should still shoot the heavy longer bullets better than a slow twist with a long 223 bullet. the actual weight is less a concern than the length for instance the all copper bullet wiill be much longer in a given weight. the 130 grain 3087 barns solid copper bullets are as long as 170 grain lead core bullets.