How many of you carry a wheelgun, and why?

Title says it. Just curious. I like to mix it up, and carry one from time to time. This  year for my Bday, my awesome lady is getting me a shoulder rig for my Ruger GP100, and I plan on rotating it into the carry group. For me, I like to carry a wheelgun from time to time just mix things up, but also cuz I like .357 magnum loads. I also like the fact that Im liable for every shot fired, and I can shoot a revolver just as good as I can a semi, but I understand the limited capacity concerns. But Ive never really felt outgunned. What say you?

I have a S&W air weight and i love it for pocket carry. Not really sure that qualifies for what exactly i think you mean but hey its a wheel gun! Just a little smaller than your GP100. But its light. It packs a good punch in 38spc and its small. Fits right in the pocket or waist and can almost forget its there.

• Like 1

Im not looking for any particular answers here Chevy. I appreciate the feedback. I carried a small, old ass Charter arms .38, and still do on occasion. I cant run +P through it, but it was my grandmas gun and is much older than I am, and shoots really good for an undercover model at 10yds w/ 158grs.

I carry a ruger lcr. I handload and test my rounds for penetration etc. I like to carry a wheel gun because like the AK platform RELIABILITY is worth more than 12 rds to me. I have had semi pistols with 5000 rds thru them reliably,then  fail at one point. I have never had any of my wheel guns misfire other than ammo related. even if its a false sense of security, I have faith in my carry weapon and that is what matters,OH AND RELIABILITY.

• Like 2

My EDC is an XDs for concealed carry. Evry day evry where.

When I go out in the woods I open carry the hand cannon. I like to take the boys for hikes in the western Oregon coast range and we have a very healthy cougar and black bear population out here. Granted attacks are extremely rare but do happen on occasion so I just like the added security, range and accuracy of that big ol .44. Not to mention the D-bags using our national forest as pot farms.

it's just not practical for me to use as EDC CCW. for that I'll stick with the XDs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dont carry my wheelguns on a regular by any means. I generally carry a .45. But I do get a second wind and like to mix it up once or twice a month. My biggest thing is feeling comfortable doing so. When I go camping and I take the wheelgun, I carry 180gr. Buffalo Bore, for safe measure. I like options. Im in the process of picking up a .454 to go compliment my DE .50AE.

• Like 1

Been carrying a Ruger SP-101 and a S&W Mod 60 in .357 for some time.  Just recently bought a Ruger LCR in 38 +p and it's been lighter and more comfortable to carry than the stainless magnums. Reduced round count in comparison to a semi-auto, but compact and light. Not the only choices for personal defense, but regular options.

• Like 1

My usual EDC is a Taurus PT145, which holds 10 rounds of 45ACP. Either that of my Glock 9mm. If clothing dictates something smaller, I'll sometimes go with a 380, but I prefer not to, if I can help it. Here in MI, it can get 20 below zero in the winter. If you've got a heavy coat zipped up, it's awful hard getting to your pistol on your belt, in a hurry. THAT'S when I like to carry a snubbie in the coat pocket. You can have it in your hand and nobody will know.....and you can fire it multiple times right through your pocket, if you have to.

the best thing about a wheel gun? 357 mag!

it has like 800 foot pounds from a 6" barrel your lucky to get 400 from a 45

I doubt that. Im pushing 500 with Ranger talon +P's, and over 400 with HST's. And this is with a 4" BBL.

Once in a blue moon, I'll strap on the shoulder holster and carry my Taurus 454 raging bull, just for shits and giggles at the range. I'd really like to find me a holster for my Rhino 6" 357mag. The White Rhino I bought the wife came with a factory leather holster, but it's not a secure holster for the gun, and she won't carry it. She carries her Judge in her purse.

• Like 1

the best thing about a wheel gun? 357 mag!

it has like 800 foot pounds from a 6" barrel your lucky to get 400 from a 45

I doubt that. Im pushing 500 with Ranger talon +P's, and over 400 with HST's. And this is with a 4" BBL.

But I must say, that some of the BB ammo will push several loads well over 700 ft. lbs.

My wife prefers wheelguns, as she sometimes flinches a bit at ejecting brass.

She has gotten a lot better about pistols an controlling her flinch, but she still prefers her Rossi 3" .357mag.

• Like 1

I have a S&W air weight and i love it for pocket carry. Not really sure that qualifies for what exactly i think you mean but hey its a wheel gun! Just a little smaller than your GP100. But its light. It packs a good punch in 38spc and its small. Fits right in the pocket or waist and can almost forget its there.

This is the only revolver I would carry and it is for the exact same reasons as well as the light weight keeps it from flopping back and forth so obviously when wearing shorts. Reliability is great compared to a few other common revolvers of the day and the trigger is amazing with an Apex kit.

.357sig.....1500+ft/sec and 600+lb-ft out of a 4" barrel, with over twice the capacity as a wheel gun and the same price ammo. Capacity+concealibility+energy=nasty  

You all had to know a .357sig fanboy was gonna jump in herebad_smile.gif

I have the same pistol as you. Mine is a stainless gp100 .357 mag. The reason I carry it is because the revolver is more reliable in a one shot counts situation. You dont need to play with a safety or other shit when a bear wont scare and starts to charge you. My gp100 can take a lot of abuse in the water, sand, snow etc. It ALWAYS goes bang.

The revolver is the way to go for defensive shooting against a charging animal.

I dont like to mix anything up. I dont beleive guns are accessories. Imo if you carry it you train with it......a lot. My EDC never changes unless it has to. I carry a revolver sometimes only when I go walk my dog. Because I dont feel like putting on jeans and a holster. Its a S&W J frame 38spl. It slips into my pocket and the DA trigger pull doesnt require a holster. If I have to dress fancy for whatever reason thats the gun I bring as well.

• Like 1

.357sig.....1500+ft/sec and 600+lb-ft out of a 4" barrel, with over twice the capacity as a wheel gun and the same price ammo. Capacity+concealibility+energy=nasty

357 sig is great becuase it replicates 125 grain 357 mag which is the pinnacle of self defense pistol stopping power. Can't be said about heavier bullets

.357sig.....1500+ft/sec and 600+lb-ft out of a 4" barrel, with over twice the capacity as a wheel gun and the same price ammo. Capacity+concealibility+energy=nasty

357 sig is great becuase it replicates 125 grain 357 mag which is the pinnacle of self defense pistol stopping power. Can't be said about heavier bullets

If that's the pinnacle, then what needs to be said about heavier bullets? ;)

I carry my Judge in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATVing, berry picking, whatever. I have CCed it. It's only a 1/2" longer than a Model 10, but a bit heavier. I'm in the woods quite a bit.

Edit to add: I friggin' love shotguns. Always have.

post-23857-0-05508600-1399738732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 3

I carry my Judge in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATVing, berry picking, whatever. I have CCed it. It's only a 1/2" longer than a Model 10, but a bit heavier. I'm in the woods quite a bit.

where did you get that holster?i love it.

where did you get that holster?i love it.

TripleK  It's very good quality, suede lined.

Edited by Yeoldetool

Sometimes you need more penetration. 158 grain is really too much penetration for self defense

And sometimes you need a rifle.
And sometimes you need a thermonuclear explosive but they arent always easy to carry. If you have ever hunted with a handgun, then a rifle youknow how easy it is to pack a pistol vs a rifle or shotgun.

Ruger LCR with Bantam boot grip has become my recent favorite.

20140501_181912-1_zpsqef0pe7t.jpg

Bought a boot grip for my LCR a few years back.....installed it and decided it was too small and slippery for my taste.......never even tried live firing and got rid of the grip. My .357 LCR is my main carry........carry my Glock 21SF sparingly

Taurus 85 UL with a bobbed hammer. It's light, small (close to the pocket gun size), yet retains full caliber performance, safe, and reliable. There are few gun you can truly throw in a pocket and not worry about a holster and still be safe. It has the same capacity of the pocket guns with FAR more reliability and more fire power. Oh, and as one who carries everyday it is FAR easier to carry all day long without suspenders than any of my semi-auto's.