How many of you carry a wheelgun, and why?

i bought a new taurus 85 and it was so out of time it would shave jackets off bullets and jam up the cylinder the last time i fired it before i traded it off i had to take a plastic hammer and beat it open

i bought a new taurus 85 and it was so out of time it would shave jackets off bullets and jam up the cylinder the last time i fired it before i traded it off i had to take a plastic hammer and beat it open

Why'd you buy one like that? I've had to send some customers Smith's back for the same thing. Never really had any Ruger problems

The only wheelgun i have at the moment is a .22. It is perfect for subsonic varmint reduction! However , in the future I will be getting a .357 as I will be in snake and coyote country, and carrying with 2 snake caps followed by 4 hollow points. The fact that a wheel leaves no brass behind is also a +.

• Like 1

When I'm outside my fence I'm in bear country so rather than mess with a long gun I'll wear my Ruger .44 mag if I'm going to be out there for a while. It's not like they come around a lot but when I hear rustling in the brush it always sounds like a bear, even if it's a raccoon.

• Like 4

I don't know if I'll ever carry it, but my 686+ will probably replace the G17 for HD once I get some more practice with it, and get the main spring tuned a bit more. I'm REALLY liking the 686.

Carried a S&W 640 as work coat firearm, fit well in custom flat sided holster put inside chest pocket of farmers or  zip up hooded  work coat. Son now carries it everyday. Usually with grip that has built in belt clip. Use a 610 4" in shoulder rig when boar hunting or calving. 1st pistol and vehicle pistol was purchased in 84, a 6" 686 S&W.

• Like 2

I carry my SP101, 2 1/4 in, DAO .357 all the time.  I live a low threat lifestyle (No stupid people, places or activities) and it carries well on my belt underneath a cover shirt. I do have a 1911 for more adventurous times in higher threat areas (like traveling or going to the mall).  I love the reliability and will need that more than the number of bullets.  If not, I also carry a speed loader and do very well at reloads if necessary.  I would say 75% of my carry is done with a revolver. My 686+ sits in my bedroom and is a little heavy for carry but I will every great once in a while.

Title says it. Just curious. I like to mix it up, and carry one from time to time. This  year for my Bday, my awesome lady is getting me a shoulder rig for my Ruger GP100, and I plan on rotating it into the carry group. For me, I like to carry a wheelgun from time to time just mix things up, but also cuz I like .357 magnum loads. I also like the fact that Im liable for every shot fired, and I can shoot a revolver just as good as I can a semi, but I understand the limited capacity concerns. But Ive never really felt outgunned. What say you?

Outgunned, probably not so often but I 'suppose that depends on how long the fight would go on.

I don't carry it but my GP100 is a rock solid brick and has always gone bang when directed. 

medium.jpg   medium.jpg

The GP'sy came into this world blue, but I had a mental lapse leaving her too long in a soft Ruger rug in a closet in a closed and humid building after Katrina had her way with us. When I unzipped the rug she was covered with a fine patina of orange corrosion - fully functional but ugly as sin. George Roghaar in Boca Raton at Roghaar Firearm Refinishing & Restoration did a bang up job of refinishing her with TR Gun Kote. 

• 3 weeks later...

I carry my Judge in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATVing, berry picking, whatever. I have CCed it. It's only a 1/2" longer than a Model 10, but a bit heavier. I'm in the woods quite a bit.

Edit to add: I friggin' love shotguns. Always have.

UPDATE: I've said several times that I am not a fan of the Judge. Well, I just found this test on Youtube, and I need to revise my statements (and opinions)!

Loaded with .45LC or buckshot rounds designed for the Judge, it CAN be a very effective pistol!  :up:

Watch the whole thing and decide for yourself. This is Part 2, testing the "shotgun" rounds. Part 1 is testing the .45 rounds.  :)

• Like 3

I carry my Judge in the woods, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATVing, berry picking, whatever. I have CCed it. It's only a 1/2" longer than a Model 10, but a bit heavier. I'm in the woods quite a bit.

Edit to add: I friggin' love shotguns. Always have.

UPDATE: I've said several times that I am not a fan of the Judge. Well, I just found this test on Youtube, and I need to revise my statements (and opinions)!

Loaded with .45LC or buckshot rounds designed for the Judge, it CAN be a very effective pistol!  032.gif

Watch the whole thing and decide for yourself. This is Part 2, testing the "shotgun" rounds. Part 1 is testing the .45 rounds.  smile.png

I was convinced long ago. 032.gif 

The video subject is the Public Defender, but I have the 3" magnum cylinder x 3" barrel, and it is an awesome gun with the right ammunition. The PD is great if all you are concerned with is CC, and smaller size. To me, the 3" magnum capability wins.  I won't BS you. It's not cheap to shoot unless you reload. Cheap 45 Colt ammo isn't cheap and quality SD ammo is $1+ a pop. Virtually ANY 410 ammo other than bird shot is more than a dollar a round, and those are ruled out for anything besides snakes and clays.

Im still not a fan.

A. Its a Taurus

B. Ammo is expensive to practice

C 410 is not something Id consider for SD if I was paying for it

D. Follow up shots

E. Consistency

F. Did I mention practice ammo?

When I'm in the woods I carry my Taurus model 44 loaded with 240 grain rds...in a shoulder rig. Works great on hogs! I have recently switched to a PMR30.....It works on hogs too....just requires about a half dozen more follow up shots....LOL

• Like 1

Well, I didn't say I'd buy a Judge! I just think they're a lot less useless than I used to think!  :D

I've had several Taurus handguns. All but one were great, and the problem I had with one was fixed in less than 2 weeks under warranty. Now it's great again!  :)

• Like 1

Any company that won't fix a carry gun thats broke from the factory and won't recall it I couldn't buy from. I'm talking about the Taurus tcp .380 the trigger is broke from the factory on them. In other news I just got a smooth and wesson 442. Perfect summer carry gun.

Ive since started keeping the GP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore 158's, and got a box or two of the 180's for when Im in the woods. Im always going to have my G30 on my hip, but I like to have the 357 on my left side in a shoulder rig when I go fishing and hiking.