Many have Tapco SAW grip...why?

Is it because of ergonomics or the fact that it matches your mag? lol

The Tapco SAW grip has great ergonomics AND it counts as a U.S. part. I just wish that it was made of a rubber or grippier type material than hard plastic. I have now replaced my Tapco SAW PG's with real Izhmash Saiga pistol grips, they are even more ergonomic and look great.

The standard AK grip positions your hand way too close to the trigger for your finger to hit the trigger in the correct position. The standard AK grip is also too small for anyone with average size hands or larger. The SAW grip looks decent as well.

I have the Ace AK "Galil" Style pistol grip on my Saiga. It's about the closest grip to the Russian made Izhmash model. I find it very ergonomical. It was already on one of my S 12's when I bought it. I've also put a Hogue handall grip over it. I checked the Ace ak site and they still have it listed.

http://www.aceltdusa.com/ak.htm

Scroll down to the last picture.

Edited by TacticalResponse

I love it. The standard AK or ergo grip is too thin; placing the recoil of the shotgun on my shoulder and across a thin part of my hand. The thicker grip is easier to hold, displaces the recoil across my whole hand, and seats my finger better on the trigger.

I have on on mine, and I FUCKING HATE IT. uncomfortable as all hell to me, and I think it looks like shizzit. It is only on there cause I had one sitting here and needed a compliance part. I am changing it over to the Falcon Ergo grip like I have on my SAR1. I love that grip.

Just as with any grip, but especially the ergo grip, there is the "length of pull" between the trigger and the web of the hand. IF you mount either the SAW or ergo grip all the way forwad. you will have an uncomfortable, if not unusable, length of pull for your hand.

You MUST first measure the distance between the trigger and the web of the hand on a standard AK grip. THEN, and ONLY then, should you install any grip to the same distance. The ergo and the SAW, if mounted all the forward, will both be way too short on the length of pull.

The Tapco SAW PG is probably the only really good product they make. I think their folding/collapsing stocks are crappy and their galil style front stocks look ugly. I've got two guns with tapco PGs and one with a 6 position stock that I am going to be replacing with an aceltd stock.

The pistol grip is good because it fills your hand, is comfortable and doesnt have any drawbacks that I have encountered yet.

The main problem with their stocks is that they are flimsy plastic. If you ever looked at an ace limited usa stock side by side with a tapco folder you would probably think that the tapco wasnt even a real gun. The difference in sturdyness, prettyness, etc is all huge. The ace stuff is more expensive, but you really are getting your money's worth and it is not like you will ever break it.

Edited by beerslurpy

I don't care for the Saw grip too much really. Looks more like it belongs on an AR than an AK. I had one on one of my 12s and it was an improvement when I added the Hogue slip on rubber grip to it but I still don't like it. I have the fat Bulgarian wood AK grip on my favorite S-12 and it is perfect. Fills the hand, checkered for good grip, great trigger pull for me, matches my stock set and looks kickass like it belongs there! To each his own though. My other favorite grip is the TDI ergo grip with the finger grooves on my tactical S-12. That grip molds to your hand like no other.

post-1293-1137945278_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1137945405.jpg

post-1293-1137945947_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1137946132_thumb.jpg

The Tapco SAW PG is probably the only really good product they make. I think their folding/collapsing stocks are crappy and their galil style front stocks look ugly. I've got two guns with tapco PGs and one with a 6 position stock that I am going to be replacing with an aceltd stock.

The main problem with their stocks is that they are flimsy plastic. If you ever looked at an ace limited usa stock side by side with a tapco folder you would probably think that the tapco wasnt even a real gun. The difference in sturdyness, prettyness, etc is all huge. The ace stuff is more expensive, but you really are getting your money's worth and it is not like you will ever break it.

They make the same stocks and more for paintball guns. There, I think their products are most appropriate. I have had good experience with their HK Claw mount, no complaints on that yet.

Those Bulgy grips are awesome!

I like the SAW grip primarily because it provides a place to keep the 12 ga bore brush (which doesn't fit in the cleaning kit). With the SAW grip and a standard AK stock , You can carry the cleaning kit (still working out a way to mount the cleaning rod...)

That's probably not important to most people. The SAW grip is kinda fugly in that it doesn't match most of the other furniture out there. I find that pretty irrelevant on a fighting gun though. It does soak up recoil a little better.

On a side note, my other AKs carry the tiny old-style Soviet p-grip. They get used outdoors in the winter with heavy gloves that had padded palms and make for a much better fit under those conditions than a thick pistol grip.

• 6 months later...

I recently had my Saiga 12 converted by E-tac. I originally had a SAW grip but I wanted to get a grip with a Hogue or Ergo Sure Grip-type rubber grip. So, I purchased an Ergo Grip sure grip in the newer AK style. This grip feels like a Hogue and I like how it feels, texture-wise.

However, the grip is way too short and not wide enough. The result is I cannot get a decent grip on the gun and the receiver smashes the back of my thumb, due to the short height of the grip.

I just replaced the Ergo Grip with a SAW grip and the entire Saiga 12 has a much better feel than before. Bottom line is to stick with the SAW grip even though it doesn't have the Hogue or Sure Grip-type texture. The SAW grip is simply more ergonomically correct and helps your shooting, too, especially for USPSA-type three-gun matches.

The standard AK grip positions your hand way too close to the trigger for your finger to hit the trigger in the correct position. The standard AK grip is also too small for anyone with average size hands or larger. The SAW grip looks decent as well.

The "standard" AK grip (those that come with most AKs, whether US made or foreign), is 2 3/4" from middle of the trigger to the middle of the part that mates up with the web of your hand. That is perfect for 90% of shooters in the world, or so the engineers at Izhmash (and I) think. The SAW grip IF YOU MOUNT IT FLUSH TO THE BACK OF THE TRIGGER GUARD, measures 2 1/4", or way too short for the avearge hand. The SAW grip mounted farther back from the back of the trigger guard (which is easy with a 1/4" stainless carriage bolt without cutting any additional grip lug holes), with some Home Depot epoxy putty adhered to the grip, NOT the guard, can duplicate that distance, or in the case of people with large hands, like me, can be set even farther back than that.

That's the beauty of the SAW grip. It can be custom set without any additional hole cutting, AND it is more similar to the Russian "ergo" grip that comes with the latest sweet creation, the Saiga EXP-01-30 shotty.

I have the Ace AK "Galil" Style pistol grip on my Saiga. It's about the closest grip to the Russian made Izhmash model. I find it very ergonomical. It was already on one of my S 12's when I bought it. I've also put a Hogue handall grip over it. I checked the Ace ak site and they still have it listed.

http://www.aceltdusa.com/ak.htm

Scroll down to the last picture.

The Galil grip is kind of a middle ground between the standard AK grip, and the SAW (SET BACK FROM THE GUARD to match the standard grip distance). It's a great choice too.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 21 2006, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I prefer the ERGO grip, fits my hand and is nicely cushioned/textured. That is what I put on the wife's .410 and she loves it.

G O B

I just put an "ergo" AK grip on my new S-12. It is also great for my big hands, but I had to set it farther back that even my AW and fill the gap with Home Depot epoxy putty. But since the mod, it's about my favorite.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 21 2006, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I prefer the ERGO grip, fits my hand and is nicely cushioned/textured. That is what I put on the wife's .410 and she loves it.

G O B

I just put an "ergo" AK grip on my new S-12. It is also great for my big hands, but I had to set it farther back that even myS AW with a 1/4" carriage bolt and fill the gap with Home Depot epoxy putty. But since the mod, it's about my favorite.

Edited by inparidel

The pistol grip is good because it fills your hand, is comfortable and doesnt have any drawbacks that I have encountered yet.

I hear ya re: the POS toy folder, as well as the ugliness of the forend. The SAW grip (mounted to fit the individual shooter's hand) IS their best product (AK). I just put the ACE 6 position AR stock on my new S-12. I drilled symetrical holes in the flat part to keep the gun as light as I can. I have the ACE Galil stocks on two of my AKs now, so the AR stock was a different and LIGHTER alternative I am trying. So far, BEAUTIFUL!!

Another good option, if you're not in need of a US part, is the new style Bulgarian grip. I used one on my 5.56 mm Bulgarian Krink build, and it is quite comfortable, like the SAW style grip. K-var carries them.

556%20Krink.jpeg

556%20Krink%20Left.jpeg

SUPER SWEET Krink, Dude!!! I love 5.56 mm AKs, but especially Krinks!!

Those Bulgy grips are awesome!

I like the SAW grip primarily because it provides a place to keep the 12 ga bore brush (which doesn't fit in the cleaning kit). With the SAW grip and a standard AK stock , You can carry the cleaning kit (still working out a way to mount the cleaning rod...)

That's probably not important to most people. The SAW grip is kinda fugly in that it doesn't match most of the other furniture out there. I find that pretty irrelevant on a fighting gun though. It does soak up recoil a little better.

On a side note, my other AKs carry the tiny old-style Soviet p-grip. They get used outdoors in the winter with heavy gloves that had padded palms and make for a much better fit under those conditions than a thick pistol grip.

Keep the bore brush. . .OR one or two spare 12 guage rounds wrapped in a paper towel so they won't rattle, depending if it is the old SAW grip or the new one (New = 2 rds).

i like the fat feel of the grip and with the addition of a hogue slip on it's even better..plus there's a little trap door in the bottom of the grip where you can stash your weed!!!

SUPER COOL S-12, DUDE!!!

only one vote for the TDI ergo grip? suprising.

i always thought they looked like they would fit great.

I said I have one on my new S-12. Again, I mounted it back far enough for my hand and used Home Depot epoxy putty to shape the "gap." I love it!!!