Welded through the barrel.

So I had a good friend of mine take my saiga 12k to a friend of his to weld up an MD Arms flash hider to make the legal length and he accidently welded through the barrel in a couple spots. He tig welded it 50% around the underside of it. I have ground down most of the weld that is protruding inside but it's hard to get it all. My question is this: should I invest in doing an SBS, should I have it shortened and another longer muzzle brake attached, should I source another factory barrel and have it replaced, or should I sell it and start over with another Saiga 12 or Vepr 12? I really love this gun and would just like to keep it but I don't want to dump a ton of money in making it fresh again.

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A corrections officer is NOT an LEO, you dont enforce laws....you babysit prisoners. I knew you had to be a wannabe. LEOs dont look for a fight or brag like you do.   And....your mother was a hamp

Clean up the inside of the barrel and the next time you weld the barrel use a  backer!!!!  Machine a bronze plug which will slip fit inside the barrel.   Jack

we are  indeed in a very  sad state of affairs on this board,  when the offer of help for no monetary compensation to a fellow gun enthusiast is somehow a threat to businesses,   very sad indeed. 

Posted Images

Send a slug down the barrel. Maybe it will clean it up. Otherwise look into a longer break thread the barrel and pin ans weld the break (drill a hole or 2 through the break.. install break... now you can either plug weld or pin a role pin in place so you cant take the break off if you do that put a small divot into the barrel where the whole.in the break is and your good to go)

Already tried the slug. Didn't work. Modified a file to fit into the barrel and smoothed out the protrusion as much as I could. I have shot about 200 rounds with no issue except there is some buildup of gunk where the weld is. Cleaned it off and it's good again. I'm sure I won't have too many problems with it just bugs me knowing it's not right.

Never have seen it before but I think if it is abrasives enough to grind it down it might harm the rest of the barrel. It literally is now only protruding 1/32" into the barrel now. And the fa the the chrome is damaged from this but it's not flaking.

That tool is made to.hone barrels. That nice polishing you see when you look down.it is done by honing. I have used a tool like this on a mossberg barrel that had rust on it. Cleaned off the rust. Added some polishing compound insterted again went up and down twice and let it be. Wasnt a perfect job but killed the rust issues and I have been shooting it ever since

Call a gun smith then. The barrel.i did it to was free to me so if I messed it up I didnt care. I have/had gotta check my tool box if I still have it ill send it to you if you cover the postage. Ill check in the am

• Like 1

No problem. I did buy a half round file and I trimmed the sides down so it fit the contour of the barrel and it worked pretty good. I didn'twant to ffile it more because it started to scratch the barrel a little. Sand paper and a dowel might work to get that bit bit down then honingIit should be a good finishing step.

First of all!

Send a slug down the barrel. Maybe it will clean it up. Otherwise look into a longer break thread the barrel and pin ans weld the break (drill a hole or 2 through the break.. install break... now you can either plug weld or pin a role pin in place so you cant take the break off if you do that put a small divot into the barrel where the whole.in the break is and your good to go)

very fucking stupid!

Second. Barrels are back bored all the time. Nbd. If you want to do it at home stone it out with the biggest size you can to hold the radius and then use a brake hone from auto parts store with wd40.

Once you get cleaned up wrap 600grit around the hone and polish.

First of all!

very fucking stupid!

Second. Barrels are back bored all the time. Nbd. If you want to do it at home stone it out with the biggest size you can to hold the radius and then use a brake hone from auto parts store with wd40.

Once you get cleaned up wrap 600grit around the hone and polish.

Morons give advice here all the time, you called it right.

A stone and hone would work just fine,

I would just use an adjustable reamer  quick, easy and a perfect result.

Or shoot slugs 021.gif

Why not shoot a lead slug? It was a small amount of material that needed to be removed. Not a complete blockage. Being a key board badass name calling just kills your credibility . Go back to playing video games and living in your parents basement.

What I thought would happen is the slug would hit the material that was protruding inside the barrel and tumble before exiting. Not a good thing. It shoots fine now but knowing it's there still bothers me

And if you wanna talk shit come to my house ill glagly give you my address.

I wouldnt piss on NJ if it were on fire.

and telling a person to shoot a slug to remove a weld bead in a barrel tells the world just how bright you are.

I should not have called you out on it, my bad.

But you have no idea how sick I am of of people giving false or incorrect advice to people who need some help.

When you have no clue, dont pretend you do.

• Like 1

A slug would never turn in the barrel. And a less slug wouldn't hurt a thing unless it was a huge hole or the bore was totally obscured. I don't think the slog was too bad of advice. The fact someone lives in Jersey and hasn't moved yet speaks more to their credibility than anything.

• Like 1

Yea im gunna leave my 95k dollar a year leo job to go make 30k in some other state speaks to my credibility. Lmao... go back to greating people at walmart.. like I said come visit me and talk shit. Later boys