Welded through the barrel.

Im gettin old and crankey, and it shows sometimesrolleyes.gif

Let me explain a little

Non stainless gun barrels have a fairly high content of carbon.

When you weld carbon steel, you get what is known as hydrogen embrittlement at the weld boundries.

This is the transition between liquid metal and solid metal.

If a weld were to over penatrate into the barrel and you start sending slugs past it, several things will happen at some point.

One,  the slug or shot will NOT wear or remove metal from the weld, lead is soft and will deform first.

Two,  it will Impart lots of shock to the weld and could bulge the barrel, pushing the weld out of the way.

Or three,  it will fracture the weld at the brittle boundry.

So...just grind or file or ream the weld, it does not have to be perfect, but it has to go away.

A hone may clean up some machine,file or grinder marks,  but will not work real well to remove the bulk of material.

And it will egg shape the bore as it bounces over the weld, it would take some time and effort for a hone to remove much material.

As an experienced gunsmith said earlier in this thread...if you HAVE to weld on a barrel, back up the area with a brass plug.

Silver solder is the best method to attach a device.

Smart people ask questions when they need to learn or need help.

But beware the answers you may get.

some people will give you very bad advice

Jim

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A corrections officer is NOT an LEO, you dont enforce laws....you babysit prisoners. I knew you had to be a wannabe. LEOs dont look for a fight or brag like you do.   And....your mother was a hamp

Clean up the inside of the barrel and the next time you weld the barrel use a  backer!!!!  Machine a bronze plug which will slip fit inside the barrel.   Jack

we are  indeed in a very  sad state of affairs on this board,  when the offer of help for no monetary compensation to a fellow gun enthusiast is somehow a threat to businesses,   very sad indeed. 

Posted Images

Yea im gunna leave my 95k dollar a year leo job to go make 30k in some other state speaks to my credibility. Lmao... go back to greating people at walmart.. like I said come visit me and talk shit. Later boys

You need a little more .

You try to impress me with you income now?  what a joke!

You claim I work at Wallmart or live in my parents basement, again what a joke!

And you claim to be An LEO,...after calling me out to your home,for a violent encounter I assume.

If you are AN LEO....you are the last kind of person that should be!

And yes ....in my opinion, you have proven yourself to be a (insert insult of your choosing here)

Jim

I maintain fully that you are complete fucking moron for advising somebody to literally "shoot out" a fucking weld!

And since I'm not a keyboard jockey such as yourself(no field officer makes 95k) I will just have to tell you to look up my "bulged barrel" thread.

I maintain fully that you are complete fucking moron for advising somebody to literally "shoot out" a fucking weld!

And since I'm not a keyboard jockey such as yourself(no field officer makes 95k) I will just have to tell you to look up my "bulged barrel" thread. And 95k is good money, most people would sell out just like you did! I figured out a way to make more than that and not be a slave to a corrupt system that prosecutes based on revenues.

And since I'm not a keyboard jockey such as yourself(no field officer makes 95k) I will just have to tell you to look up my "bulged barrel" thread.

Look up top salary for a corrections officer in NJ they surpass 95k especially in my county. Once again wanna run your mouths please come talk shit to my face or go back to wally world. Later folks.

Look up top salary for a corrections officer in NJ they surpass 95k especially in my county. Once again wanna run your mouths please come talk shit to my face or go back to wally world. Later folks.

A corrections officer is NOT an LEO, you dont enforce laws....you babysit prisoners.

I knew you had to be a wannabe.

LEOs dont look for a fight or brag like you do.

And....your mother was a hampster, and your father smelled of elderberries,

Now go away or I shall taunt you againhaha.gif

• Like 5

I dont enforce laws? I enforce 2c along with 10a... Look into NJ bud... we have full police power, goto the same academy, make more then most pds and excede the others due to overtime. We aid shore towns for police time to time along with help during state of emergencies. You really need to be informed prior to talking shit. Its ok where you are they are probably key turn cage kickers... I passed up being a street cop to stay where I am at due to me having to take a salary cut. And Im not looking for a fight, just saying if you wanna talk shit say it to my face. If not move along and go back to playing dungeons and dragons

Look rolleyes.gif

You gave REALLY stupid advice to someone, just get over it.

Now you are mad because someone called you out on it.

And then you try to impress not with your knowledge, but with a title or a salary.

How can you NOT know when to stop digging

• Like 2

Sounds like a tpyical CO. I know cause I was one. Now I'm not going to say how much I make but I will say I make biomedica polymer and life is good.

And again it speaks volumes about the government in Jersey that they would pay a CO 100k especially one who wants to offer to meet people from the internet at his home.

Can you even saiga in Jersey bro? I mean half the guns we talk about must be illegal there right?

• Like 1

You gave REALLY stupid advice to someone, just get over it.

luckily, the advice he gave wouldn't have cause a major catastrophe to the SG or the shoot, if the OP shot a  lead slug through the barrel. about the only thing it would have done is lead deposit would have accumulated in front of the weld.

the thing that gets me, is how someone would even think that somehow a lead slug would even  smooth out that weld.  I mean really, lead????? its  is one of the softest metal on this planet. maybe in the 8th dimension lead has some unique properties that would do something like that, but not in this dimension where we all live and call home.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Pm me you address next time I'm up that way, I'll make a point to stop by and rattle your cage.

Pm sent. Man inmates dont talk as much shit as you guys. A lead slug could easily knock the weld loose if it was a poor weld. Sabot slug maybe cuda been explosive. Good night folks.

Well I gotta say. It was in no way a poor weld. It was tig welded properly just went to long and heated it up to much. I was sure it wasn't something that was just gonna break loose.

Pm sent. Man inmates dont talk as much shit as you guys. A lead slug could easily knock the weld loose if it was a poor weld. Sabot slug maybe cuda been explosive. Good night folks.

It took me a while but now I'm starting to get the joke.  You are just trolling

Good one

Bad advice? Its a weld... lmao. I have to goto work. Later

Very bad! I'm very sure you have no idea what TIG is or looks like. But burn-though would very hard, even pulling the chrome into the mix. And yes even partially obstructed barrels go boom. "Yeah well my dad has a tank! And he'll run you over!" If you suspect a moron, just let them speak, they will tell you every time!

So...just grind or file or ream the weld, it does not have to be perfect, but it has to go away.

A hone may clean up some machine,file or grinder marks,  but will not work real well to remove the bulk of material.

And it will egg shape the bore as it bounces over the weld, it would take some time and effort for a hone to remove much material.

As an experienced gunsmith said earlier in this thread...if you HAVE to weld on a barrel, back up the area with a brass plug.

Jim

Most likely will crack with use if the weld is left high. Welding on pressure vessels normally results in cracks, same thing here. It takes less energy to snap the metal then to bend it out of the way.

I'd back with copper alloy 182 if you have any available, it sticks less than brass or bronze and has lower amount of inclusions. It is fairly expensive.

Seeing as the weld is complete already, I'd agree that grinding the weld and then once smooth following up with a bore hone is probably the best way to fix this.

A tig weld with over 100% penetration isnt going anywhere,its a bead above the parts,complete weld thru the parts and a bead beyond the other side.

you could not make a stronger weld, only the fact that its a barrel makes the over penetration a problem.

And yes silver would be the prefered process, but lots of places weld barrel devices Just a tack or two

To make the part perminant, in some cases ATF requires it (as in a 14" barrel made 16" with a perminant attached flash hider)

This whinning guy has no clue, and is just looking for attention.

I feel sorry for him, I suspect that all the insults he hurled at us reflect his own status.

He may in fact be hiding in his mommys basement, playin dungeons and dragons, dreading goin to work as a wallmart greeter.

Im sorry little cguiro...just take your nappy and it will all be ok.

Jim

Most likely will crack with use if the weld is left high. Welding on pressure vessels normally results in cracks, same thing here. It takes less energy to snap the metal then to bend it out of the way.

I'd back with copper alloy 182 if you have any available, it sticks less than brass or bronze and has lower amount of inclusions. It is fairly expensive.

Seeing as the weld is complete already, I'd agree that grinding the weld and then once smooth following up with a bore hone is probably the best way to fix this.

I have to agree completely, with you analysis and your process.

Jim

Well now the issue I have is the welded part is about 3 inches inside so I have no easy way of grinding it away. I'm really not sure what to use to get it flush inside.

It may be crude, but you can make an extension mandrill for a stone from rod stock with a set screw to retain the shank on the stone, run it in a die grinder,

Or buy a reamer

Jim

PS a good quality round file may go a long way to fix this as well

Just slightly smaller than ID of barrel. I suggested brake hone only as a cheap/available "do it a home" option. Much better tools out there. It should have the reach tho to get down there. And as stated, you want to remove the bulk by other means so as to not tear up the hone and egg shape the bore. And to polish,wrap hone with wet/dry sandpaper(also at local auto parts store) like 400# on up to your preference. I think the remaining chrome in barrel will resist abrasion enough to work mostly against the excess weld. Should clean up nice. Not 100% chrome lined, but close enough. If 1moa accuracy is the goalI would consider back-boring, if you can find a smith willing to work on a chrome-lined barrel. Like jack says metal working 101. Nbd