Polishing Recoil Rod and Spring Hole on Bolt Carrier

Has anyone else needed to polish the hole on the bolt carrier that the recoil rod and spring go into?  I recently got another VEPR 12 from Classic and the action was really rough.  One particular spot I noticed was the recoil spring rubbing hard on the side of the carrier.  When you cycle the bolt back you could hear the spring making a grinding noise.  The bolt cycles nice without the recoil spring installed.  I went ahead and filed and sanded the hole  where the spring goes into the carrier and this helped.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue.  I was not sure how critical it was to take material off this area of the bolt carrier.  I only took material off the left side to open the hole enough so the excessive scraping and drag was minimized.  I was initially having problems cycling Winchester 1 1/8 1200FPS ammo. It would FTE ever round.  I am able to get it to cycle now, but still have occasional FTE.  I also profiled the hammer.  I have not touched the bottom of the bolt yet.

I know Cobra does bolt polishing, but not see any mention of cleaning up the bolt carrier hole for the recoil rod.  I am hoping that I did not remove to much material, but removed enough so that it is not grinding.  Any works of advise would be appreciated. 

I did this on a saiga12 conversion. Didn't need to on vepr. Ymmv. Jacks guide rod is ridiculously smooth, and easy to change springs. But does slow ready and falls apart on field strip.

Wagnikov......Can you explain what you mean by "slow ready"?

• 2 weeks later...

You will know if you need this when you slowly pull the carrier back you will hear a click click click click or ratcheting sound.(it will be the coils of the spring catching the corner of the opening and then popping past and the next and the next)Tapered stone on a Dremel radius everything back. Sanding drum smooth it out. There's nothing back there for structural integrity.

post-48862-0-80229900-1401417133_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-39137700-1401417147_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-51178000-1401417163_thumb.jpg