New Saiga 223... New problems

I went with SGM mags for previous saiga, got them $15 each from a buddy.

Got another Saiga... This one is already converted...  So I can't use SGM mags. It IS also from Legion Inc and it is also HBAR it is ALSO dimpled.

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-izsl-mp-.223rem.html

Here is the problem. I have NO mags for it. Beryls are very expensive, so are Bulgarians.

I have THREE ways to go:

1. GALIL metal mags. I can get them cheap from a buddy. Beside pulling back and down the rear tab (like Mancat told me) do I have to do ANYTHING with them?

2. Yugo M85 mags. I can get them cheap. ANYTHING I need to do to them to make them work? They are cheaper then galil from a buddy.

3. Tapco Galil. I would rather NOT use them, they are too big and there is NO metal in them.

PLEASE, HELP ME WITH GETTING M85 or GALIL mags to work in Dimpled Saiga. English is NOT my first language, so please, be patient.

The bullet guide on the SGM mags can be shaved off easily, Iv done quite a few with just hand files.

Yes. that is a possibility, but I would rather have a steel mag: IMI Galil or Yugo M85PV, as long as some KIND soul here teaches me how to insure their reliability

The bullet guide on the SGM mags can be shaved off easily, Iv done quite a few with just hand files.

Yes. that is a possibility, but I would rather have a steel mag: IMI Galil or Yugo M85PV, as long as some KIND soul here teaches me how to insure their reliability

The steel Galil mags are very wobbly in a Saiga. They worked OK for me without modification, but I could induce a malfunction if I deliberately pushed the mag entirely to one side. I don't think you can insure complete reliability.

The Yugo mags are longer front-to-back than the others - you would need to trim the rear of the magazine OR lengthen the rear of the mag well and put a flat face on the center support rivet in order for them to lock up. Check out NoDak Spud's photos of their NDS-Y556 UF receiver to see what I mean.

Not really a new problem.  Same ol' problems... Which mags work?

Beryls and Bulgarians are the way to go.  Save some money and get the mags you know will work.

Or send it to Definitive Arms and use AR mags.

These days my personal opinion is to just buy as many of the cheap Tapco mags as you can. They're the best of the cheap Saiga mags that are available, and other than having sort of a wimpy rear tab, are very well-made and 100% functional, just with a bit of wobble.

Of course the Beryl and Bulgarian mags are higher quality but at almost 2-3 times the cost per mag, and have to have slight modifications made to each mag before it will snap into the Saiga.. If you're worried about the reliability of the Tapco mags long-term - well, buy two times as many of them as you would otherwise be able to afford when buying Polish/Bulgarian mags!

It would be worth it to try out the M85 mag.. They're only around $15 and are available in bulk, and probably will be for the forseeable future, as Zastava appears to be a reliable company with long-term plans for export to the US.

Edited by mancat

Hey, Mancat or anyone else, do you, folks know exactly WHAT to do to M85PV mags? Some people said I need to put a flat face on a cross bar in the receiver, some people say I do not. that is NOT the problem. Dremel is my friend. What do I have to do to the mags THEMSELVES, beside shaving some stuff in the back?

D

You mentioned that your Saiga is the dimpled mag well version. I am not sure if this matters or not,but mine is the slabside.

The Yugo's are cheap right now,they can be had for as little as $9.95 ea in bulk,but it is alot more work to convert one than the Beryl mags or the Bulgy mags. The only upside is that they are readily available and cheap.

Just to give you an idea, I have over 30 Yugo mags between the 10 rders and 30 rd mags and I have only converted 1.

Hmm, I hope someone will give me instructions on what to do with M85 mags. Right now STEEL galil mags lock in easily and sturdily. very little WOBBLE, less than 1 millimeter. I do NOT know how well they will feed. I already mentioned my rifle. It is an HBAR http://legionusainc.com/saiga-izsl-mp-.223rem.html

already converted to take TAPCO Galil mags. (Mags got already modded)

Edited by Tigerclaw_x