Want to ask you guys what RPK out there being sold is a good product?  Been looking at different places at them.  Please give your opinion or experience with both that are currently being made recently. Mostly between the M64 and the AES10B. Numerous vendors have them.  Atlantic Firearms has both....   Any information is welcome.  Thanks

AES10B

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/rpk-squad-rifle-762-x-39-rifle-aes-10b-detail.html?Itemid=0

M64

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-m64-rpk-heavy-barrel-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Chances are higher with the AES-10B of having funky rivets or canted components, but generally not as common as people believe about Romanian rifles. Mine is absolutely straight. The only weird assembly error is one of the inner receiver rails is a little wavy, but I've never noticed it making a difference.

The M64 doesn't have a hammer-forged barrel, but it is chrome-lined. AES-10B barrel is new, CHF/CL.

The M64 lacks a side rail, the AES-10B has one. A side rail can be added later on to the M64.

The M64 doesn't have the AES-10B's carry handle, but honestly I rarely used it and it's currently removed from the rifle. I would reinstall it if I ever had to carry the rifle for any sort of distance, the balance is quite good while carrying it by the handle.

The M64 has a slightly longer US-made stock with rubber buttpad. Personally I would rather have the standard RPK stock with cleaning kit cavity.

The M64 also has a dimpled magwell, but real RPKs (except Yugo) have lacked this feature for quite some time, both in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Both are made from Romanian parts - the AES-10B obviously is. There is some question as to which rifle will have more heavily used parts overall. Many of the AES-10Bs appear to be built from unissued or only lighly-used kits. The parts inside mine looked like they just came off the mill, not used or broken-in at all. There is a chance that the M64 is built from more used parts, but I don't know this for a fact - just speculating based on the general nature of imported parts kits.

Dunno, tough call. I've been happy with my AES-10B, and being a genuine Romanian factory-made rifle is worth some extra points in my book.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I have resisted posting on this thread because I did not want to steer you away from the AES-10B. My recent purchase from Classic Arms was pretty rough and needed a lot of work. With that said, it could have been that I got a lemon, and the other imports are fine. The additional reviews that I have read on Classic's site since I bought mine have been raving, but I am suspicious, because the honest, but fair review that I wrote was never published on their website. As such, I won't do business with them again. But once the issues were worked out, I love this rifle. I like the carry handle, and the bipod. I do hope that you end up with the Cugir, because I would love to see some honest reviews of the new batches coming in, apart from my individual experience. Good luck on either way you decide.

Spacehog did you end up with canted sights?  I just wonder how often this is the case?  Is there anyone who sells them that would check for basic problems before selling them?  Canted Sights, deformed rivets etc. What did you have to fix. It seems it is a gamble to order one.  

My AES-10B had canted sights to right. They were fairly easy to fix though. I have a full write up along with other's experience here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75593-aes-10bs-anyone/

I do not want to dissuade you from this rifle. It is a great rifle, and could very well been the one I got from Classic. I recommend you call Atlantic Firearms and ask them about the rifles they have. Ask whether they are complete demilled parts kits or a hodgepodge from various kits. Also ask whether any of the parts have been used or if they are from surplus kits. I do not think that many if any of the components of my rifle were ever issued. I just think they were stored poorly. It is all water under the bridge at this point as I am happy with the end product.

Edited by Spacehog

I had a AES10B and really didnt care for it. The M64 is trying to be a Yugo....I think while having Romy parts!

Heavy, kinda useless for anything but the table at the range.

If I was going to get one it would be the Vepr. Their mags are like $60ea

I finally got to shoot my 10B for the first time this afternoon, and LOVE it. Despite the initial issues, this gun will hit clays at 100 yards open sights every time you pull the trigger with nothing more that a gentle push. Even with rapid fire it is easy to place very shot in a 1 foot square at the same distance. Recoil is a gentle push straight back with no muzzle climb. I understand now why this rifle gets the reviews it does.

Before I bullpupped my AES10B, I was doing quarter to silver dollar sized groups at 100yrd with iron sights depending on ammo, from the table. Everything was straight and tight on her but I couldn't find a decent scope rail. No longer an issue with a full length top rail.