Having trouble w/ CSS trigger gaurd and Hogue grip

I am almost finished with my second .308 conversion and Ive hit a snag; I used the CSS billet trigger gaurd for this build as opposed to the Dinzag version I used in previous builds (due to faster shipping by CSS) only to find that the Hogue PG I bought doesnt fit the trigger gaurd. The bolt hole in the PG doesnt line up with the integrated PG nut and the back end of the PG hangs off the back side of the receiver. Ive used Hogue grips in two previous builds (and Dinzag trigger gaurds) and never had an issue, I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem when combining these two products or if maybe I got sent the wrong trigger gaurd by accident? Here are a few pics to show what I mean, the top pics are of the problem, the lower pics are of a previous conversion that didnt have this issue.

post-48709-0-27252000-1400361508_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-53508400-1400361564_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-15977300-1400361604_thumb.jpg

The hogue grip will need to have some material removed for the CSS billet trigger guard. I have had to do it with everyone. Take a little at a time off the grip and check for fit. The areas you will have to relieve of material are the front flat edge that goes against the trigger guard, and the hole will need to be made larger (elongated) to accommodate the forward shift.

So I modified the PG so the bolt could thread into the PG nut but it still hangs off the rear of the receiver. Anyone know of a PG that fits properly with the CSS billet trigger gaurd?

See post #3 bad_egg.gif

Yea I just read that but I'm over it at this point, Id rather have a pg that fits right with out having to dremel and drill all over it. I should have just waited the exrta week for the Dinzag parts...

Tapco SAW grip.

Boyd, personally I do not think you can find a finer PG for the AK or AR than the Hogue. That is just MHO, but is the reason I will modify it to fit abnormal circumstances. It can be frustrating at first trying to determine what area is keeping it from installing normally. I screwed up the first one I tried to install, but once it fit, you couldn't tell the areas I relieved material, even though I thought I did a total axe job on the PG. Since then I know what to expect, and I can do one with a dremel and the green grinding stone in less than two minutes. I wouldn't give up just yet, but understand if you want to go with something else.

Boyd, personally I do not think you can find a finer PG for the AK or AR than the Hogue. That is just MHO, but is the reason I will modify it to fit abnormal circumstances. It can be frustrating at first trying to determine what area is keeping it from installing normally. I screwed up the first one I tried to install, but once it fit, you couldn't tell the areas I relieved material, even though I thought I did a total axe job on the PG. Since then I know what to expect, and I can do one with a dremel and the green grinding stone in less than two minutes. I wouldn't give up just yet, but understand if you want to go with something else.

I 100% agree with your opinion about Hogue grips, I have them on two other Saigas, my AR, and my Mossberg 590. I am frustrated with the CSS trigger gaurd more than anything, I am doing this conversion for a friend and he specifically wants the Hogue grip and I feel like I butchered this grip (though I am a perfectionist). I just regret not spending the extra time/money to get the Dinzag kit, not only do I like their trigger guard better but the trigger pull is smoother as well.

You can do this, as most of us accept these situations as just another challenge to getting our Saiga's to be what we want them to be. Fact is, that's pretty much what this site is all about. These guns are far from perfect, and you would very lucky if you found two that fit exactly the same, make it fit and take pride that you did so, or throw it out and buy the "bolt on".

Pics or it didn't happen cool.png

• Like 1