Russian Side Folder Latch Issues

A little while back I bought one of those LEO edition Saiga 12s with the factory Russian side folder from Legion USA.  From day one of receiving the shotgun the side would not latch shut in the folded position.  Originally I liked the gun so much that it didn't bother me, but lately its started to bug me.  This brings up a couple of questions: 

1.  Is it normal for the stock not to latch in the folded position straight from the Russian factory or did I get a lemon?

2.  What's the RIGHT way to make things right?  File/grind the latching tab on the stock, file/grind the actual latch on receiver, or redo the position of latch on receiver by make the rectangular cut out longer towards the rear of gun?

The first picture shows where the stock naturally hits the latch when normally folder.  No matter how hard you push the latch will not even try to spring open.  The second picture shows how far the latch opens after taking a screw driver and manually holding latch open while I fold the stock.  Obviously you can see the stock still wont latch folded with the latched pushed all the way over.

post-46941-0-80986100-1400377682_thumb.jpg

post-46941-0-19062000-1400377696_thumb.jpg

post-46941-0-18543300-1400378025_thumb.jpg

Edited by saiga488

The Saiga 12 gauge front latch is designed to work with the 12 gauge rubber butt pad, which has a reshaped latch catch.  The 100 series steel rifle butt plate (like what appears to be installed on your shotgun) has to be trimmed significantly to work with the 12 gauge front latch.

It does kinda look like a c model. Those had the ribs on top correct?

It could be a K. Iz108's have the ribbed front sight rail. 109's do not, regardless of C or K model. I am probably wrong. Just an observation

Edited by AZG

right, but Ive seen, and used myself a triangle stock that didn't require any modification to the the stock catch. not saying you're wrong, just never had to mod one except on the stock you refer to.

I don't know about the triangle stocks, but the 100 series poly stocks need to be trimmed, in my experience.  

OP,

Take it off and send it to me.  I'll trim and re-coat it for you, no charge.

• Like 3