Steel, Chrome Lined, Stainless Barrel..Questions

steel less expensive

Chrome longest lifespan or best for FA

stainless, may be more accurate,  but not cast in stone. some steel barrels are real good.

I use Lothar barrels, lilja barrels,and a number of other top shelf barrels.

But for most people...they wouldnt see any difference

Jim

I would always go with hard chromed lined myself. Even stainless can rust, with the right ions present in the residue. I do think that plain steel barrels tend to be more accurate, but will need to be replaced more often. With an AR, that is an easy proposition. So bottom line is it comes down to what you want to do with the build you are working on. Much like buying tires, if you want more grip, you are going to sacrifice longevity, if you want longevity you might have to sacrifice a little grip. Most quality AR barrels are going to be very accurate by today's standards, so IMHO , I would buy for longevity.

Stainless for a precision build (only reason I see to build an ar15) and chrome lined for everything else. The real question you should be asking is what brand barrel should you get. And the answer is how much do you want to spend.