I have Dad's old 30-06 deer rifle. It's a Springfield 1903A3 action, that Dad sent to a gunsmith and had a 26" heavy barrel added, and a monte-carlo style wood stock. It also has a Redfield 3-9x scope on it. I know this rifle is older than I am!  :)  He had it built for a deer rifle, but when finished it weighs close to 10 lbs., and was too heavy for him to carry around in the woods all day.  oops.

I haven't fired it in decades. Well, I have the "itch" to learn more about long-range shooting, so I thought I'd dust off the ol' '06 and see if it still works properly. I'm happy to say, "YES, it does!" I have a few 5-shot groups all under 3" @ 100yds., and several 3-shot groups within @ 1.5" or less. (Benchrested, of course.) Oh, Dad's handloads I'm using are dated 9/8/1968!

Now I'm going to find some longer-range ranges and see what we can do. There are two ranges I've found online (an hour away each, in opposite directions) that go out to 300 yds., so I'm going to get in touch with them and find out about memberships. (I've never shot over 200 yds. before, and that was very rare.) I'll take the '06, my M1A, and maybe something else with me for those trips.

Shoot straight and have fun!
Ron
  • Like 5

Well, find a 1903 with a great receiver but a shot/crap barrel and cracked stock, get a new barrel installed, then get a nice stock of your choice and refinish it yourself... Viola!  :D

One beautiful rifle for a reasonable price.  :up:

Very nice!  I'm not a milsurp purist, but those shoddy conversions that seem to show up more often than not make me cringe.  Your dad's rifle looks to have been done by a pro, however!  I really like the look of it.  It just exudes a classic vibe.  Given that it was converted so long ago, is it bedded and floated?  I don't know how recent a phenomenon those procedures are.

I know what you mean about the long-range bug.  Sadly, very few places around here have longer than 100 yard ranges, fewer still longer than 200.  I did get a chance to ring some steel at 300 yards at a recent get-together in Sandusky, Ohio, which was great fun.  I would have liked to try the club's 500 yard range, but it was closed.

It's probably bedded, not sure about floated, but I'm not taking it apart to find out. ;)

For the purists in the audience, I also have an 03A3 that my Grandfather had, that's still in the original box from when he bought it! :up:

I ended up buying a "sporterized" 1917 Enfield 30.06 a few years ago. Still had the military stock, the front sight was cut off just ahead of the serial number and nicely crowned. The rear sight was ground off and the receiver drilled for a scope mount and the rifle came with a Weaver K 4 with a post and crosshair reticle. For $100 it has turned out to be quite a buy. The bore looked a little fuzzy, upon closer inspection some of it was litteraly fuzz in that the rifle hadn't been shot in a few years and the dust bunnies were living in the bore. As I cleaned it and let it soak overnight with bore cleaner in barrel the bore kept looking better.

Took this jewel to the range and it shot like a champ too. When shooting off the bench, this gun produces a five shot group at 100 yards using generic .06 ammo that a quarter will cover.

Just goes to prove that older guns have capabilites hidden in them that the shooter that leans toward modern firearms misses.

• Like 1

I bought a poorly sporterized 03A3 a couple years ago.  Smith-Corona receiver with a Remington barrel that had a nice bore. I wanted to "re-mil" the rifle, but shopping for the necessary pieces and parts individually was a PITA and spendy. I bought a de-milled "drill rifle" from SARCO and I got all the wood and metal I needed in one piece! swapped out the barrel and action and have a very accurate 03A3 in military garb. As long as the bores haven't suffered the ravages of corrosive ammo and lack of attention, the 03 and 03A3 are fine shooters even at nearly 100 years of age, as long as you are careful  to avoid the very early 03 serial numbers that may not have been properly heat-treated and unsafe for modern 30-06 ammo pressures.

Thanks. I took a closer look at mine, and the scope mount covers most of the engraving on the top/front of the receiver. And I'm not taking it apart to look.  ;)

Also found out the scope on it is a Redfield 3-9x, 1" tube with the "Accu-range Tombstone Reticle." Apparently a darned good scope in it's day, late '50's or '60's?  :up:

The rifle has "FLAIG'S" stamped on the barrel, so I did some more digging... Seems he was a damned-good gunsmith who lived in Millvale, PA. Since my family lived near Pittsburgh, that makes sense that Dad would have had a local smith build the gun for him.  :)

Apparently Mr. Flaig had a certain "affection" for the Nazi's, but that didn't detract from his gun-making skills.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2285817/1

(Try to just ignore the North/South pissing match... :rolleyes: )