Saiga-12 choke hard to remove???

I had to use a 12" cresent wrench to remove the choke from my Saiga-12 and it was hard coming off the whole way. It doesn't look crossthreaded on the barrel but the choke is questionable. Is this the norm? Going back on was about as hard even after I cleaned out the threads.

That sounds weird, mine will just uncrew with my hand. Is this one of the chokes you got from EAA, or is this the stock one that came with the shotgun? If it is one of the ones from EAA, maybe the threads are slightly different. I would try lubing up the choke with your favorite grease/oil, and put it on and take it off multiple times to see if that loosens it up. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Sorry to say... but sounds like some idiot at the factory missed the initial thread when installed the choke! And did not care to go back and correct the problem... You might have to replace it with a new one from either CDNN of EAA as this one appears to be a "lemon"... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the Saiga-12 back from Eaa the other day, I must have gotten a Friday built gun.(or a Monday hangover)

Paul, EAA's gunsmith and one of the VP's re-threaded the barrel but when I talked to him on the phone he said that the safety lever had been beat up and the trigger rivits had been removed and reinstalled(??????) therefor he was voiding any future warranty. I told him I knew nothing of what he was talking about and that is how I received the gun from CDDN. I called CDDN and relayed all this to them and it was only after they called EAA did EAA agree to honor the 1 yr warranty. Once I got the gun back I inspecter the safety lever to try to see what he was talking about and found the lower lip of the safety lever looked as if it had been bent down with plyers and there is a crack at the bend about 1/4" long, I never did see what they were talking about on the trigger rivets.

I called Paul up and ask him about the bent safety lever and he said he bent it, that it was originally flattened straight out and he was aware of the crack. When I ask him why he didn't replace the safety lever he got short with me and and said I could send it back to him(another $12 and 2 weeks) or he would give me a refund and made sure to let me know the only reason the barrel got fixed is because CDDN called him.

I called CDDN back and relayed all this and they credited $20 back to me to cover the cost of a new safety lever but told me to wait untill the warranty is up for if I change the lever it will void the warranty.

I hope none of you ever have to send you Saigas back to EAA for warranty.

Man!!!! What a horror story!!! :evil: At least CDNN kept face!

I'm really sorry for all the troubles that you had to go thrugh!

Working with milspec connectors ive also run into problems when long threads like the ones on choke tubes and scope just dont want to go together. Now I see what you said up there, but if you ever have that problem and you know its not a cross-thred problem, like my older scopes Ive had the same problem on the focus adjustment... you just wipe the threads as clean as you can, then with a q-tip put 1/2 a drop of some WD-40 on the thread. makes a huge difference if the thing is stiff going in a NORMAL thread. Cross threaded I would imagine it might work as well, but its always better to have it threaded correctly anyway :) You can never inspect a new weapon too much the first day....

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have this thing called work that keeps getting in the way of things. If you are interested in the full choke for the Saiga I'll ship it to you for $20, if you want to use Paypal I won't charge any surcharge(MAKC gets first option).

My Paypal address is Rsloan1@comcast.net

I also have Recoil buffers for the Saiga's and all other AK's as well as SKS, Ruger 10-22 and Mac10 & 11.

Edited by Blackjack