So I had to talk a friend into selling who'd been slowly building this upper from an original 16" barrel AR57. So fortunately all the work had been done and them having had it nickel plated just added to the uniqueness of it to me.

I'd been wanting a 5.7x28 for a while since discovering my SS Sparrow was rated for the cartridge. The PS90 has terrible cheek weld, and in the carbine 16" barrel with a suppressor the "bullpup" configuration was a moot point. I'm a sucker for the integral suppressor look, this was just too temping to pass up.. I've never nicknamed a gun before, but AR57 just doesn't roll off my tongue the same as

"The Honey Badger"

post-32655-0-63058300-1400552301_thumb.jpeg

post-32655-0-18272600-1400552327_thumb.jpg

post-32655-0-78093600-1400552374_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Isnt the Honey Badger AAC's PDW in 300BLK with a 6" barrel? Developed as an MP5 replacement.

Not sure, exactly. I know there was an actually produced "Honey badger" that was pretty bad ass. A 300blk set up like this will be another build goal. This came first because all the stars happened to align for me.

Basically a 22mag. Little better. From what I understand and have read you can possess armor piercing ammo but can't buy it unless your a LEO. And yes the honey badger was a concept 300blk pdw, I don't see how any gun enthusiast would have missed it. It even has been in the videos games lately. This is pretty sweet though I'd take an old magazine and cut the feed lips off and make a brass catcher.

The ballistics are way better than 22mag. 22mag, being 134ft/lbs from a 4.3"barrel and 5.7 having 358ft/lbs.

That's three times more powerful. Hell that's comparable to a 9mm 115gr fmj. But 50 rounds and suppressed. Not as cool as a 300blk out, and you'll just have to forgive me for missing on one particular gun "even in a video game". Or don't, mall ninja doesn't give a fuck.

Can somebody point me to the 511 section?

• Like 4

Classic bullet weight vs speed. And I'd say that is cool as hell. Get the NEA carbine stock and you have a sweet little package. And I know that sounds like I'm a basement delling tit sucker but that honey badger was huge and all I read about on a few forums I was on. The nea stock is close to the original honey badger. 2011-10-10_17-12-18_51_zpsbuiuvbla.jpg

HB_Pink-600x325_thumb_zps0e0rnmhu.jpg

Aac sent them out I'm pink pelican cases to special forces to test. It works have been a three stamp gun had they decided to sell it.

• Like 1

You can almost build something close with an 8"300blk barrel and the nea carbine stock. Use a troy free float tube. Probably come in under 1300 bucks using the blem upper and lower copes had and not counting sights and taxes and refinishing.

Ar15s are easy to build. No reason to ever really buy one already built unless it's super cheap. Use good parts for a good rifle and cheap parts for a cheap build. Torque the barrel nut right and you're good. The trigger is way easier than an ak.

I really do like the ar57 too it's got 50 rounds thats sweet. Have you made a brass catcher yet?

This it's something you could actually build. The real honey badger had a proprietary set of receivers. This is the nea stock made in Canada. Not to long ago a forum member had one for sale here. IMG_0565_zpsrwaa27nd.jpg

Yea the plan was to put assemble a 9"300 upper and share the lower. It's the 762SDN holding things up.

I got a Magpul I need to chop the feed lips off of still for the catcher.

And yea I assembled This my first stripped lower in about 15 Minutes at my kitchen table

Edited by poolingmyignorance

The ballistics are way better than 22mag. 22mag, being 134ft/lbs from a 4.3"barrel and 5.7 having 358ft/lbs.

That's three times more powerful. Hell that's comparable to a 9mm 115gr fmj. But 50 rounds and suppressed. Not as cool as a 300blk out, and you'll just have to forgive me for missing on one particular gun "even in a video game". Or don't, mall ninja doesn't give a fuck.

Didn't mean to knock your rifle with the 5.7x28 question pooling, it's very cool.

I've always thought 5.7x28 was an interesting round, just pissed me off that ATF had to ban the hot stuff.

Didn't mean to knock your rifle with the 5.7x28 question pooling, it's very cool.

I've always thought 5.7x28 was an interesting round, just pissed me off that ATF had to ban the hot stuff.

It's still out there, but about .70/rnd....

I'm not really sure if they ever did - but FN sure as hell won't allow it to be sold to us. They even restrict sales of subsonic ammo to LE/mil.

I'm not really sure if they ever did - but FN sure as hell won't allow it to be sold to us. They even restrict sales of subsonic ammo to LE/mil.

Yea I can't fathom the subsonic being considered AP... 40-55grns at 1100ft/second isn't much. Most subsonic 22lr is 40grns.

Yea I can't fathom the subsonic being considered AP... 40-55grns at 1100ft/second isn't much. Most subsonic 22lr is 40grns.

It isn't even remotely AP - but it is FMJ, and they don't sell any FMJ to lowly civilians.

• 3 weeks later...

the 5.7x28 FN fancy subsonic load they won't sell just uses the standard military 223 55 grain bullet  from M193.

5.7 is known to be a challenging round to reload due to delicate brass, need for trimming and tiny powder volume.  Amusingly the hard to get magical subsonic stuff should actually be among the easier 5.7 ammo to make.

Who is Randall?

A really irritating guy who made a stupid video a few years ago. 

So the lesson is, keep a P mag in there with no follower and the feed lips cut out to catch that hard to find brass.

Yea I got a pmag ready to chop. I've been collecting brass. I'm just beginning to learn about reloading and collecting equipment. This is definitely one that I'd like to learn.. any tips on places to start?

I've got a Lee Multi turret press, but nothing else really. So any tips on what to start collecting?

Well, you want primers and powders. Economy and consistency comes from buying in bulk. The 5-7 forum has a whole section on reloading, with some known good recipes. I think the first thing would be to look up the powder choices for your desired bulllet from their forum. Then choose the powder that they suggest as the least tricky to work with. For me that's going to be the one that takes up the most physical volume per the given load. I'd avoid any "stick" style powders. (Easiest to load consistently, which equals safely)

I suggest buying a couple thousand tula or wolf primers from Natchez once you work out what the load needs. I've been hearing from some very meticulous people that they are more consistent than CCI, and they are way cheaper. 

Then powder.

And keep an eye out for flat base 50 or 55 grain .224 projectiles. Once you find a killer deal, buy a ton of the same thing ~2K or so.

Also a lee caliber specific trimmer for $7 or so would save a lot of trouble.

Part of the reason I suggest large quantity is the hassle of getting a good load worked out and then being unable to find the ingredients and having to start over with a new recipe. Better to get one recipe perfected and have enough to keep cranking that out. 

another thing I might consider is getting a bronze stain and staining the brass. I don't normally sort brass to count reloads, but I think I would want to with 5.7. i.e. all the green ones have been reloaded twice, and the red 3 times. The bluish ones need thrown away after one more reload.....

One point that a lot of people emphasize is this is an easy load to get wrong. There are small margins for error. Work up your loads in the AR 57, not in your pistol. ---> a load worked up to be safe in the pistol has often been shown to be dangerously hot in the rifle length barrels. So work it up in the rifle, then see if it runs in the pistol.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1