New marketing niche for Csspecs s12 mags...

They are not all that sharp.

Especially when you start looking over other parts of the firearm, I've seen someone take a HUGE chunk of their knuckle off between the dust cover and charging handle. 

The shape is very strong and accurate compared with doing an overlap.

One day I'd like to eliminate the rib on the back, just need to design a way to do it.

• 2 months later...

I was looking at my saiga 12 mag last night thinking about that back rib. I understand it is there becasue of assembly and spot welding purposes. Not shure what kind of spot welder you guys have/use, but could you make some long arms that would go inside the mag and spot weld that area with metal overlaping and flat?

Edited by diesel_fireman2001

The rib is required to form the magazine body without wrinkles. Even the Chinese flat backs start with a rib, its trimmed with a pair of trim dies and then one side is offset using an additional forming die. You can't reduce the area of metal without making wrinkles, the front is stretched which is why it stays flat.

How we would probably do it, is make a single trim die that would cut most of the rib off leaving a .01" tall cut off. Then place the halves on a water cool copper backer milled to the shape of the mag, and using a tig torch on a motorized pivot arm to make the weld. It would use the extra metal left behind as the filler for the weld.

Speaking money and time. Your looking at $20k -$30K for the Chinese AK style, and about 9 months lead time. Or about $9k - $10k for the tig welding fixture and controller hardware, and about 7-9 months lead time, plus $2 - $4 extra per magazine for manual clean up that is likely needed.

I may have another way to do it, but I have not experimented with it.

Yeah, we try to make what people ask for. However if I did everything that was asked for no one could afford them.

I'm playing with a design that looks like an AR-15 mag on the back, its for the Fury shotguns since their LRBHO is so stupidly far back that even our Vepr mags catch on it while being inserted.

Its an add on strip that gets welded to the back, and gives a place for the follower to slip into.. Not completely sure if it will be strong enough to sell.

If I do end up making new 12 gauge tooling again, I'll look into making flat backs.

• Like 1