Shooting 2 1/2" shells

I have a couple hundred 2 1/2" shells that I'm interested in shooting in the Saiga 410. I haven't tried shooting them out of the factory magazines which are designated for 3 inch shells. Does anybody know if they will work in factory 3 inch magazines? Are there any 2 1/2 inch magazines available? If so, please let me know were I can find them because I have looked extensively and not found any on the Internet. Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Jess, I was playing around with the drum in my gun room and put 2.5" shells in it. They all loaded and ejected. I was using Winchester and Remington from Wally World. Took it to the range and it all ran. Mixed in 3" NSI with the 2.5" Stay away from Bornaghi. I was all excited with the drum running 2.5, so I bought a case of Bornaghi and the primers were falling out of them. My mags wont run 2.5 so it probably has something to do with the angle of the drum and how it sits in mag port.

I hear ya. It is what it is. The drum was quite a suprise to me. I am trying to find the factory Izhmash 10 rounders too. Its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe next year. Lol. The Golden bear slugs dont work well in the SGM mags. I think the casing has a little bigger diameter. I did pick up some 4 rounders from SaigaStockcom. Bought 2 and got one free. Ill tape 4 of them together and have a factory 16 rounder..lol Regards

• 3 years later...

Does anybody still stand by the claim that 2 1/2" shells work in a 30-rd ProMag drum made for 3" shells?

I just tried to cycle ten 2-1/2" shells through my drum and not a single one of them loaded properly. The feed ramp just doesn't align them correctly; they all impact the edge of the bore and hang up the bolt.

So disappointing.

There were at least 3 DIFFERENT S-.410 models imported. Each with a different gas system. And more than 1 variation of each model. ONLY the later models of the adjustable gas system can shoot 2 1/2" shells.

If you have a model without and adjustable 'blind plug', or even an early adjustable gas system WITHOUT extended "barrel extension" fingers to guide the short shells, THEY WILL NOT WORK!

Thanks G O B. Any chance you've got a pic of "extended barrel extension fingers"?

I can't say I know what I'd be looking for to deduce if mine has them or not.

Of course, the fact that the shells aren't loading virtually guarantees mine doesn't have them.

But yes, I have a gas selector.

Can the extension fingers be added?