Want to do my first conversion 7.62x39

Well a little while back I bought my first Saiga, and I really want to convert it to (well for my lack of actual knowledge) an AK-47 or would it be an AKM100 series.   I have heard really good things about arsenal but the prices was a bit much for my blood then I found out all they are is a converted Saiga... 

So my questions are

1) I keep seeing "basic conversion" this and "basic conversion" that, is there a more in-depth more complete conversion, if so what is the difference

and

2) other then carolina shooters supply is there any other companies that sell complete conversion kits?

I'm not going to ask how easy or difficult it is to do one of these as i have been looking around a bit already and all i hear is how simple it is to convert a Saiga and some people have claimed to complete a full conversion in as little as 1-3 hours but any information would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to have a nice classic looking AK, but I think with this one i want to go with an ultimak gas tube rail mount, and the lower hand guard that Arsenal puts on theirs and I am guessing that is k-var.... I'm trying to do a practical not tactical AK because i would like to get into 3 gun, and as much as I like the AR's I have always loved the AK  

I have had good luck with CSS.  I know there are some here that buy from Kvar and AK builder.  To me, they are both over priced.  Especially AK Builder.  Top that off with CSS's 10% off coupon code (code is CSS) and it's a no brainer.

The conversion is very simple.  Youtube is your friend for this.  Watch some vids, read some threads here, and by the time your parts get to you it will be a piece of cake.  

Don't forget to look at which trunion you have, round or square to get the right bullet guide.

my other question is would this set of handguards work on the stock saiga or would i have to buy/replace other parts before this would fit and work?

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-404BUS.html

You would need an AK74 gas tube with hand guard bracket and at the least a bolt on lower hand guard retainer.

"Basic conversion" for most of us means moving the fire control group forward, adding a Pistol grip, bullet guide to accept AK mags, and an AK buttstock. To do a complete conversion to classic AK, you will need the lower hand guard retainer, and new gas tube. The AK-74 should be drop in, the AK-47 may need some minor fitting to get the gas tube retainer lever to close fully. Either one will work, it just depends on whether you choose to do the modification or not. Additionally, if you want to modify the Saiga to it's full AK glory, you will need a new front sight block with detent pin and thread the barrel. It is easy enough to thread the barrel, but without replacing the FSB, you will need to use a crush washer to secure any muzzle device, and if you use the Saiga FSB, you will not be able to properly attach the cleaning rod. I am not trying to discourage you, as all these things can be fairly easily done, and you will appreciate this rifle greatly when you get it completed. I only bring these up because you brought up the Arsenal conversions, which would require you to do these things to bring it up to the same build quality. If you choose to go with an ultimak set up, you can discard the gas tube and upper handguard requirement. Either way, post up pics of your build. I would love to see it.

Not sure why I was scared to do the basic conversion took all of an hour to do. Now I just need to get everything to complete the whole thing, but that will have be done piece by piece, and since I live in ny right now (planning on moving) im already cutting the pistol grip into a "spur" grip before attaching it

I just did my basic conversion with the CSS kit, and a RDAK-M4 adapter for an AR stock. I bought a lower handguard retainer from brownells and the hogue handguard kit. I too plan to use an Ultimak mount, so that is my next purchase. After that, I will be looking for an AK47 FSB to change out the front end. You're right, the basic conversion is very easy and a worthwhile modification. If you plan to use regular AK mags, remember that you may have to file the top edge of the magazine catch to allow the tap on the mag to secure. Some people file the tab on the magazines, but then you have a mag specific AK. I think if you're going to do the conversion, you should do it the proper way so it can accept any mag you find for it. Also, make sure your build falls within the guidelines of 922r compliance. Here's a pic of my build so far:

AE5BBD67-7182-4B0D-A9CD-39C4EB52CE18.jpg

It does raise the cheek weld a bit, but I really like where it is. You really get a solid cheek weld in order to have a good sight picture. I plan on running a red dot on this one so it will be perfect for that and will also work well if I plan to use a side mount. The change in geometry is why I chose the RD adapter over others, but there are plenty of options out there for a more traditional stock angle.