New gun, who tightened the screws on this?

Hello, just picked up a brand new Saiga and was working on taking the foregrip and the stock off and ran into problems. This being a new gun, I expect parts to be tight, but holy crap. I managed to get the hidden screw and the bottom screw off the reciever. The top screw however has broken two of my flathead bits and is borderline stripped. WTF did they use to tighten that screw, a dozen guys and a breaker bar? Anyway before I further strip the screw and/or break more bits, does anyone have any ideas on removing it? Does Russia maybe not always hold to righty tighty? The other two were but.....

The hand grip, I removed the sling screw which I have understood to be the only screw holding it in place. Tried knocking the grip off, but it doesnt seem to want to break free? Is there another missing screw I am missing somewhere?

Any ideas in general?

Cut another perpendicular slot for a Philips screwdriver and drill a small hole into the center so a Philips head will seat.

Or...

Tap (semi gentle taps with a hammer or mallet) the screw driver down into the screw a few times, that can help break it loose.

Also the correct size screw driver helps tremendously, one that fits with no slop.

Most interchangeable head drivers use very soft bits and they bend easily under torque .

I can't recall without looking if the s12 has a second screw at the receiver end of the hand guard. It will be blatantly obvious to see.

With the screw(s) removed, grab the hand guard with an upward stroke (some force) like your hitting it but grabbing it at the dame time. Or peel the hand guard away from the gas block at the front and wiggle it out of the receiver.

Edited by Mullet Man

Mullet Man is right about the screwdriver needing to fit exactly and tight.  Also full width of the slot.  If you know someone with a new type cordless drill driver, you know like a carpenter or somebody, those drills are now made as impact drivers, and the impact action is very good at breaking free stuck screws.  Also put some penetrating oil on it and let it soak in for a day.  And clamp the gun in in a vise.

Get a screw driver with a square shank you can put a crescent wrench on and create some real torque. But I can't reiterate what mulletman said enough. Use the right size driver. And vice helps a lot too. If your not planning on reusing the stock you can grab it in the vice by the had grip.

Check the screws you removed for evidence of threadlocking compound. If it's there, it may take heat to break the thing loose.

Otherwise,

Soak in Kroil or Ballistol for a few hours, then use the cordless impact on it.

Works for me, most of the time.

Impact screwdriver has worked for me.

Same here, you can get one real cheap at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. One good whack with that and wala........   The impact drill might be a good idea too.

Check the screws you removed for evidence of threadlocking compound. If it's there, it may take heat to break the thing loose.

Otherwise,

Soak in Kroil or Ballistol for a few hours, then use the cordless impact on it.

Works for me, most of the time.

Add Mouse Milk to the list of oils.  That and an impact.  Worked for me when removing frozen buttstock screws on M16's way back when.

Sometimes it works better to put the screwdriver in the vice, and turn the gun, use as much of your body weight on the gun as possible to keep the bit from slipping.

• Like 1

Put the part with the stuck screw in a vise, level the stuck screw to the drill chuck, secure the vise to the drill table, chuck up the proper hollow ground bit.  PULL DOWN on the drill handle put bit into screw slot and slowly turn the drill chuck by hand,  adding more and more pressure to break the screw loose.

Kill it with fire....

that screw sucks/has sucked/ will suck. I'm a firm beliver some anti-gun nut works in the factory and has the exact torque # to apply the maximum without breaking the screw.

That's my theory and I'm stickin to it.

Sometimes it works better to put the screwdriver in the vice, and turn the gun, use as much of your body weight on the gun as possible to keep the bit from slipping.

Not to be safety Nazi, but that sounds like a great recipe for inpaling yourself on a screw driver.

Correct size and good quality screw driver used properly shouldn't have broke. Make absolutely sure when you insert the screw driver into the slot there's no play whatsoever and it engages the entire width of the screw. Good luck.

Edited by Ak Monty