And the Next "Revolutionary" Bullet Design...

Holey Bullets!

Holey Bullshit is more like it.

http://www.gizmag.com/compbullets-faster-with-vents/20806/

First of all, when the gun is fired, the vents supposedly allow the propellant gases to go through the sides of the bullet, providing lubrication between it and the inside of the gun's barrel.

As the bullet exits the gun, the gases symmetrically shoot sideways out of the vents. This - so we're told - creates a "muzzle brake" effect. A muzzle brake is a device fitted to the end of a gun's barrel, that redirects the gases as they leave the gun, to offset the recoil effect. The vents in the CompBullets apparently serve the same purpose.

At the same time, the gases shooting out of the vents are also said to create a rocket-like effect, increasing the bullet's velocity. All of you physicists are welcome to weigh in on this one, but it's hard to say if gases exiting the sides of a bullet would really cause it to travel any faster than gases that were limited to pushing on it from behind.

Additionally, CompBullets are claimed to produce less muzzle flash and less smoke. If nothing else, all those holes probably make them lighter than regular bullets, to boot.

post-4831-0-41972900-1401203744.jpg

You guys just hate scientific advancement. Ya know we used to think the earth was flat.

Come on it says "Rocket-Like Effect "

Next your going to say the thermal imaging chip Raytheyon has developed to be implanted on the optic nerve of all humans at birth so we can see in total darkness is bullshit too, right?

Next your going to say the thermal imaging chip Raytheyon has developed to be implanted on the optic nerve of all humans at birth so we can see in total darkness is bullshit too, right?

Hold on a minute.  I didn't see that in the article...  Cool!

• Like 1

it seems to me some engineers  having way, way  too much time on their hands.

hey, I'm all for revolutionary designs, providing the design is going to be something with a "wow" factor. but, honest to goodness  this bullet  is  not going to be any more lethal or do anything that a  standard FMJ bullet does,  so what's the point?????? other then to say, "looky what we have done"

now if they come up with a "smart" bullet, one that once  it's  out of the barrel it  goes and hits the target all by itself without the aid of aiming,  well now that would be revolutionary. this one is more of a answer to a question that wasn't asked.  more fluff then substance

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Energy = mass x velocity. Seems like removing the mass (all those pretty holes) would reduce energy. You would gain a short burst of velocity with the same energy (the powder charge) but it would slow quicker and hit a lot less harder.

Seems like cnc machining bullets is all the rage:

http://blog.rtba.co/3-reasons-dont-need-latest-g2-research-rip-cartridge/

hey, I'm all for revolutionary designs, providing the design is going to be something with a "wow" factor. but, honest to goodness  this bullet  is  not going to be any more lethal or do anything that a  standard FMJ bullet does,  so what's the point?????? other then to say, "looky what we have done"

now if they come up with a "smart" bullet, one that once  it's  out of the barrel it  goes and hits the target all by itself without the aid of aiming,  well now that would be revolutionary. this one is more of a answer to a question that wasn't asked.  more fluff then substance

Already done:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/smart-bullets

Come on it says "Rocket-Like Effect "

They should man up and own it. It is a rocket effect, not "rocket-like" Those rockets just happen to be thrusting toward the center axis of rotation, not paralell to it. So Obviously they take pressure off of the back and vent it in a direction that does not thrust it forward. Therefore they cannot increase velocity. 

Cost of drilling holes precisely in a piece of moderately hard steel to make an effective muzzle brake good for thousands of rounds- cheap enough to sell profitably at $35. Cost of drilling holes in each bullet precisely enough not to destabilize it? I'm going to guess about the same per every bullet or two. 

• Like 1

This looks like one hell of a gimmick but that being said.............

Bullets have been working fine for 100s of years.....when will they learn.

"If it ain't broke".......

You fellas really think that? Im sure someone said the same thing back when a large, round, inaccurate chunk of lead was all that was used.  Theres ALWAYS room for improvement.

• Like 1

Wait... I thought that was the "HoverCat?"  :unsure:

They want to make me happy? Invent the bullets from "Wanted" that can fly through subway trains and around corners, and hit a precise target that's 3 1/2 miles away!  :D

wantedbullet.jpg

Yeah take Raytheon's thermal chip and combine it with this bullet, and we get heat seaking rocket ammo!

Wait... I thought that was the "HoverCat?"  unsure.png

They want to make me happy? Invent the bullets from "Wanted" that can fly through subway trains and around corners, and hit a precise target that's 3 1/2 miles away!  biggrin.png

wantedbullet.jpg

The bad part of that is they will have the bullet also. I guess in the end the term Last Man Standing is a sobering thought

Energy = mass x velocity. Seems like removing the mass (all those pretty holes) would reduce energy. You would gain a short burst of velocity with the same energy (the powder charge) but it would slow quicker and hit a lot less harder.

Seems like cnc machining bullets is all the rage:

http://blog.rtba.co/3-reasons-dont-need-latest-g2-research-rip-cartridge/

Kinetic energy actually is mass times velocity squared (ek=mv2), so while a loss of mass will have a negative effect on the projectile's energy proportional to its magnitude, an increase in velocity will have a positive effect proportional to its magnitude squared.  Your equation is for momentum (p=mv, where "p" is momentum), which is more likely to play a part in determining the bullet's maximum range.

Bullets have been working fine for 100s of years.....when will they learn.

Bullet designs have been advancing for hundreds of years. Not every step has been a step forward, but thanks to the proliferation of precision manufacturing technologies, more innovations can be made. Unfortunately, some new designs, like that bonesaw bullet that made the rounds on the web recently, are obviously not steps in the right direction, and manufacturers with limited budgets still have to try to offset their R&D investment by marketing their mooncalf products using hype-tastic advertising.

This design does look like exactly that kind of nonsense. Actually, the first thing I thought of was an old Simpsons episode:

96mgk5.jpg

Sort of ironic, really.

• Like 1

Beware of the term 'smart'.  It is often applied to objects defined by feedback, surveillance and control tech.  ^__^