new rifle with some questions

Hey guys. New to the forum and new to saiga's.  I just got my 7.62 and after shooting a few rounds (20 or so) I enjoy it but find it has a bit more kick then I thought.  I've shot ARs before in 223 and the recoil was non existent.  The 7.62 has a noticeable kick though.  I have a sportster model and a 16" barrel.  I live in CT and I cant convert the rifle but the loophole is I can modify my stock and add the grip to the stock but not the receiver.  I thought I had read that a muzzle brake would be a good way to handle some of the kick I am experiencing but I wasn't sure.

First I would like to welcome you. Then I would say to manthefukup and embrace the recoil, you should really try the Saiga .308 since you like the x39 so much laugh.png

post-13516-0-72670700-1401328204_thumb.jpg

hope you have a good sense of humor.

Your throwing a larger piece of lead so logically its going to have more recoil.

Most of that you will just learn to work with since your not going to reduce all that much with muzzle brakes.

ARs throw a relatively small piece of lead and have a ridiculous buffer system - felt recoil is ridiculously low.

AKs throw a substantially larger piece of lead, and you get to experience the bolt carrier slamming into the rear trunnion.

The recoil of an AK in x39 is still very minimal compared to, say, any 12-gauge shotgun.

Easiest fix for perceived recoil is to fire 10rds through a Mosin with a t-shirt on. 

Ugh, that it is.

A Mosin was the first rifle I bought in a full-fat, real rifle cartridge. I remember the first time I shot that rifle - a Romanian M44, the first in what has become a collection of Mosin-Nagants. It had to be a carbine, and I had to be wearing a t-shirt.

I still sucked it up and fired at least 50 rounds that day.

• Like 1

While I agree with my comrades...haha.gif

This is what you are looking for.  I would have never bought one myself, but an AK I bought had one on it.  I liked it so much that I put one on my Saiga.  Makes for a real comfy shooter.

Edited by Big John!

Id like to see the loop hole in the law that specializes pistol grip on the stock and not receiver. Then I'd attach a thin piece of kydex to"conect" the mounting point for the pistol grip at the receiver to the stock and voila pistol grip attached to stock.

And as far as kick it's not bad at all but if your used to shooting grains of rice from an ar15 a real bullet is a little different.

And if you can't convert can you have a threaded muzzle? And I'd say the hell with them and make the rifle how i wanted short of full auto and shortening the barrel less than 16"

Easiest fix for perceived recoil is to fire 10rds through a Mosin with a t-shirt on. 

Or 3" Mag 12 ga. out of an NEF single shot, with a hard butt plate.wet_eyes.gif

• Like 2

First I would like to welcome you. Then I would say to manthefukup and embrace the recoil, you should really try the Saiga .308 since you like the x39 so much laugh.png

attachicon.gifS-308.jpg

hope you have a good sense of humor.

He said he can not convert but can add it to the stock he may be stuck with this model http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/phoenix-saiga-stockset.htm .

It's a fuken shame what they've reduced some of us to scorn.gif

Dude, you crack me up haha.gif

try two 3" 00 buck from a stoeger coach gun firing both barrels with the plastic butt plate. This is after I did that several times for about two days.

20140415_195218_zpsmnhciddo.jpg

I'll do you one better.  Winchester Model 37 Full Choke 28" barrel with standard 00 Buck.  Think the single barrel model of Granny Clampett's shotgun.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Or 3" Mag 12 ga. out of an NEF single shot, with a hard butt plate.:wet_eyes:

try two 3" 00 buck from a stoeger coach gun firing both barrels with the plastic butt plate. This is after I did that several times for about two days. 20140415_195218_zpsmnhciddo.jpg

Oh damn! On the shoulder, not the arm! Ouch

Or 3" Mag 12 ga. out of an NEF single shot, with a hard butt plate.:wet_eyes:
try two 3" 00 buck from a stoeger coach gun firing both barrels with the plastic butt plate. This is after I did that several times for about two days. 20140415_195218_zpsmnhciddo.jpg

Oh damn! On the shoulder, not the arm! Ouch

That's what happens when every time you shoot it you try to pull both triggers and one barrel almost always goes first and the the other. So it's very hard to hold the butt in the pocket.

Your throwing a larger piece of lead so logically its going to have more recoil.

Most of that you will just learn to work with since your not going to reduce all that much with muzzle brakes.

Would think a 30-50% reduction worth adding the brake.

And muzzle rise greatly reduced which is even more important.

Would think a 30-50% reduction worth adding the brake.

And muzzle rise greatly reduced which is even more important.

I was thinking the muzzle rise would be great.  I find due to the recoil it makes it a bit more of a challenge to get a follow up shot off quickly. 

As for the kick lite stock, I have looked at the stock and wasn't sure how good it was.  I am stuck between that one or the Magpul one that I found

Id like to see the loop hole in the law that specializes pistol grip on the stock and not receiver. Then I'd attach a thin piece of kydex to"conect" the mounting point for the pistol grip at the receiver to the stock and voila pistol grip attached to stock.

And as far as kick it's not bad at all but if your used to shooting grains of rice from an ar15 a real bullet is a little different.

And if you can't convert can you have a threaded muzzle? And I'd say the hell with them and make the rifle how i wanted short of full auto and shortening the barrel less than 16"

I can thread the barrel to install a muzzle break but I would have to pin the muzzle break.  Most of the new laws seem to be thrown together and even the people who made the laws are unsure what they mean! 

I would just build the rifle the way I want but it would be hard to find someone to find someone to do the work.  Im not even sure if any suppliers will ship some items to me as they may think it is illegal in the state

Kind of what these stocks do is direct the recoil in more of a line with the shoulder and absorb some of the energy releasing it in friction and forward direction.

Now there is a small down side to forward recoil in large cal weapons, hard on scopes not built for it. You might not even notice but it is there on most any semi-auto.

Generally the more in line a stock the less the rise so all in all not a bad idea depending on execution.

Is it a new rifle? I had an SKS with a weak recoil spring that kicked like a mule, until I replaced it.

If you don't mind making it heavier...you could fill the buttstock with BBs, etc.

Light guns recoil more.

Edited by Sim_Player

Is it a new rifle? I had an SKS with a weak recoil spring that kicked like a mule, until I replaced it.

If you don't mind making it heavier...you could fill the buttstock with BBs, etc.

Light guns recoil more.

It is new.  Maybe 40 rounds there it so far. I fired a few rounds with a limb saver on to try it and made it much more comfortable to shoot.  Im going to look into the kicklite stock or try the magpul set up I found