Slant cutting the rear of the receiver to put on a different stock

I can hear it now. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? I have my reasons. You might not think they are good. But anyway. My search for a wooden hand guard eventually led me to purchase a Vepr wood kit from saigastock.com. $65 for hand guard and beautiful thumbhole stock. I already have a v21 .308 with the same stock and I love it. But the stock is for a slant cut receiver. I could spend another $50-$100 and get another stock that would fit but what would I do with this one. I could cut the stock to fit, but I have seen the pictures of guys that have done this and they don't look right. They look like they have been adapted. They look like they don't belong there. I have a wood ak-74 stock on there now and it looks too small. I am thinking about cutting off the ass end of the receiver to fit the stock. I know it will be permanent but I love the way my .308 looks and I know my S-12 will look good too. Now with all of that being said if I have missed something and this cannot possible work please tell me before I look like a complete ass instead of a little one.

I do live in the south. I do drive a pickup. I am good with making things work in ways never intended. But I will never put duct tape on a gun. HA HA HA. I have done the whole "Black rifle thing. I have a wasr-10 that I put a side folder and quad rail on. I hated it. I think wood looks better. I am prone to impulse actions. I know it might not make sense to alter a $600 shotgun when I can spend 1\10th that on a part. But then there is the part of me that says why spend anything. They never intended for the Saiga-12 to have wood furniture. That sounds like a challenge to me. 

It is your gun to do with as you wish, but personally I would not do such a thing.  I would look for a different option that would have similar results.  I'll bet a MAK-90 stock would work just fine, not as pretty as the VEPR stock but you would not be  wrecking the value/functionality of the weapon.  Once you turn that into a "slant cut" you will limit the stock options in the future and destroy the resale value.

As far as it being possible and the "gunsmithing" aspects of this, I will leave that for others to comment on.

• Like 1

I know your post is just to ask if there might be any unknown problems with doing it, and there aren't.  There are just the aesthetic reasons, so that is what guys here are going to mention.

My problem with it is that the slant cut design was only done to comply with some bullshit anti-gun law that required the dumbhole stock.  The retarded reasoning being that the pistol grip made the gun too dangerous.  

So you really shouldn't even be using the thumbhole stock, let alone slant cutting your receiver to make it fit.  It's an affront to the 2nd Amendment and an insult to our freedoms.

Thumbhole stock = Dumb

Cutting receiver to fit = Dumber 

Everyone is making more sense than I am. I owe it to myself to find another alternative. My only reason should be for the aesthetics and I should be able to find another way to get the same result. I need to find a stock that balances with the larger handguard. The ak-74 stock I have now is just a little bigger and looks out of place. It is just my impulsive nature that suggests that any solution can be the right one.

• Like 1

I don't care about the legalities associated with the thumbhole stock I live in Texas. I like the way it looks. One question though if the thumbhole stock is a workaround for removing the pistol grip to comply with this b.s. law. Are the imports the only ones getting the thumbhole stocks. I thought the VEPR's were the top end and they have nice wood furniture.

Edited by x_man586

I had a fleeting thought along these same lines. when the vepr .308 square back with the unfinished furniture was in the 4-500 range and I wanted to get the Ironwood SVD vepr furniture. It seems easy enough just a matter of the proper angle at the proper depth but I never could talk myself into it

People can call it dumb all they want but to me it's the dumbest thing in the world to limit your options, freedoms, and squelch your true creative desires based on what people say on an internet forum. If you want something and it's different than what anyone's done before or what some happen to prefer, Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k. Do what pleases YOU. Think outside the box and run with it no matter who doesn't like it. If not everyone will have the same old boring shit everyone else has.

Now to answer your question, No there are no problems with it at all. I did the exact same thing to one of my .308 rifles long ago and still love it and still get complimented on it by everyone who handles or shoots it. I can try to find the link to the thread I put up on the custom build. Be prepared to do more custom work to get the HG to fit though.

Not what I was looking for but here's a thread with a pic at least.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/48509-what-kind-of-stock-do-you-have-on-your-converted-308/?hl=%2Bvepr+%2Bstock&do=findComment&comment=451456

OK edit #2... Found the thread with the pics of receiver cut & HG mods for the rifle stock to .308.

Putting the Vepr HG on an S-12 would be easier with just the single attachment screw but you would prolly need to enlarge it some on the inside to fit the larger barrel diameter.

Anything is doable though...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/14900-this-is-the-tacked-308-picture-thread/?hl=%2Bvepr+%2Bstock&do=findComment&comment=123941

• Like 2

Cobra I already have the vepr handguard on there and it fits great. I was just wondering what to do with the slant cut stock that came with the handguard. If I don't like the dragunov stock that I ordered I will use the slant cut one. I don't want to cut the stock because I have seen pictures of the slant cut stocks cut to square and I don't like them. They don't look like they belong. I know I can cut the receiver and it will match the stock. I can work metal far easier than I can wood. I was also concerned about weakening the VEPR stock by making it fit and it cracking when I shoot slugs. I can mig and tig weld. I section in quarter panels for a living. If I do decide to cut the receiver I will try to make only one cut so that I will have what I need to weld back on if I need to but I plan on exhausting my other options before I cut anything. But I owe it to myself to find a non permanent solution if I can.  I don't have a problem sticking to my guns though. Oh Dragunov or VEPR still won't have an evil pistol grip. 

Edited by x_man586
  • Like 1

The dragunov stock came in. There is no way I am putting anything with a metal butt plate on a shotgun. I don't care if it has a spring under it. I will put it on my WASR-10. I am going to cut my receiver to put the other stock on. The other stock is longer and has checkering that matches the handguard.

• Like 1