Does .223 ammo cause more throat errosion than 5.56 ammo in a 5.56 rif

No it will not!  You will wear the barrel rifling out before you ever have to worry about throat erosion.  Getting too wrapped up in the 5.56 vs .223 bull shit!  

It is no different than shooting .308 Winchester and M118s.  Same difference:  Mil Spec brass has thicker walls and a few thousands more leade in the chamber.  It ain't that big of deal!!!

What would matter is if you have an extremely TIGHT match chamber that likes to use its own fire formed brass and this is standard practice with match rifles.

The problem is the trash ammunition that so many people try and save a few bucks on.

Jack

Edited by JTE

I don't think I have seen anyone explain why the Mil Spec Chamber has more Leade in it:

The primary reason is because of carbon, copper build up that would be common to a rifle that does not get cleaned often. 

This can cause problems on two fronts:  a dirty chamber at the leade/throat will not allow the shell to go all the way into battery (Battle Rifle). 

And, not often, but when clearing a dirty/hot rifle the bullet can be pulled from the case because the leade of the chamber is dirty.

So, the fix is to cut a little bit more leade in the chamber.  We do the same thing in our .308 bolt guns that will be used by the various police department, etc.  Some of them never clean the damn guns and the chambers are filthy!!!  They are so dirty you have problems extracting a shell from the chamber it is so tight from carbon/copper build up.

The other reason is some of the new mil spec bullets have a longer ogive in them.  I believe the 62grain bullet does.  So you need a little bit more throat/leade cut in the chamber.

Jack

Edited by JTE

I shot out a chrome lined 223 barrel. The throat was fine, it was the rifling that went first. The chrome wore through and gave me a VERY rough bore.

I went with a 1:9 fluted, cryo'd match barrel this time.