About the same age 12 or 13 on the question asked and the implied question by the title.

One was long thin and dark the other was short pale and maybe a little chucky.

One was a buddies Marlin Goose Gun the other was another buddies older sister, both scared the shit out of me but I went back for more of both every chance I got.

Both were more fun to play with than my single shot 22.

• Like 1

not sure what age i was, definately in the single digits. knocked me on my ass and the gun went flying. I want to say 5 or 6 because that was when i got my first 22. i still flinch to this day with a dry fire the first time with any gun, probably because of that. its kinda funny, in that ive shot some serious hardware over time and you would think id be over that. the only thing comparable to that first whallop was an H+H double i shot when i was in my late 20's during a condition appraisal. didnt even fire the second barrel on that f'n thing! LOL.

I did 2 rounds of .458 magnum at 12.  They loaded a blank for the first round, and all laughed when the can didn't fly.  Next round was real, and the can vaporized.  It was more laughs when it's owner missed the next 2 shots!

I started shooting big guns at an early age, started with 22s at 3 or 4 years old.

But I was taught all about recoil, how to have a proper stance, how to shoulder the gun properly ect.

Never was I given a gun to shoot with the intent it knock me down, or surprize me, that stuff gets people hurt.

I did insist on shooting a 338 win mag that a friend of my dad was shooting, I knew what I was getting into, but it did hurt.

I think I was 12, I shoot the 338 for elk now and it still thumps a bit.

jim

• Like 1

My first was a BB gun at 8, and .22's the same year.  Trips to the deer shack during summer was where I refined my skills. (2 x 6000 round treasure chests, 1000 pellets, 2 bricks .22 short/LR + assorted other calibers and gauges....all in a week!)  By the end of the week we were out of cans, paper plates and down to farmer matches for targets.  I earned guns by outshooting my grandfather with them.  I earned my High Standard .22LR pistol at 13.  I was Scaramunga accurate with it.  Too bad I lost it in a fire!  By the time that I shot that .458, I was already shooting .30-06 and .300 Savage + .410, 20, and 16 ga.

I'd like to answer this for my Alaskan 13 year old grand nephew who's down here in Florida visiting his grand mother / my sister.

For him it was June 7th 2014.

He's a big big kid, got a lot of Samoan swimming in his gene pool.

He'd never shot anything before so let him shoot a 22 rifle, 22 pistol, compensated 45 pistol, and a 12 ga.

He listened to directions and shot damn well with all of them especially the 45.

He actually liked the 12 ga the best because it moved the target every shot.

I'm going to pick up some clays and we'll work on his shotgunning some more.

• Like 3

I was 12.....inheritied my grandfathers 1958 Mosseberg Bolt with adjustable spreader.......

Was with my (not yet brother in law)......

This gun is longer than I was tall at the time. We stopped as we came upon a rabbit. My hunting partner said for me to take it. I lowered my shotgun and fired.....Just about landed on my ass. To my dismay the rabbit was gone. WHAT THE HELL.... How could I miss from approx 15 yards away?

About 10 seconds later all the fur started to float down.......Guess the choke was adjusted TOO tight!