Range Report and Questions

Hi-

Shot my VEPR yesterday. Gotta say I love the gun. Cycled everything from buckshot, slugs, high brass pheasant loads, and even the low brass #8 shot target loads. Only had one fail to eject and that was with the target loads and the gun hasnt even been broken in yet. Recoil isnt too bad isnt anymore than my 870 with 28" barrel. It also has that rubber buttplate on the folding stock. I love this gun!

Had a few minor problems though. #1 is the last round bolt holdopen wasnt functioning for some reason. Inserting an empty mag it locks it back on it and I can manually lock the bolt back. So in theory it should be working. But its not working at all, consistently. Havent modified the trigger or anything and its the factory 5 round mag that came with the gun.I suspect its binding with the leg of the hammer spring or something. Any ideas?

#2 the "op rod" or piston rod as I was taking it down. It has play in the bolt carrier. I can wiggle it and the threads are exposed. Its peened so I cant screw it out. But I wonder if it is supposed to be like that and will it hold? I think im going to stick with 2 3/4" shells and not shoot super hi powered 3" shells through it. Other than that I love the gun and a thread on SGM choke and GK-01 muzzle brake is in the works for it.

Thanks for any suggestions-

It works fine everytime when I insert an empty mag and try to close the bolt. But for some reason when im shooting it, it dosent.

I know AKs have loose tolerances but with my 7.62x39 version of the weapon its screwed all the way into the bolt carrier On the VEPR 12 and other ones ive seen, its not, theres threads exposed. And im just wondering if theyres enough meat and or the metals hard enough there to hold that together and not brake. Ive heard of them breaking and im just wondering if its isolated incidences of defective heat treating or if its common. And if it were to break, seems like your screwed on finding a replacement one as there are none.

Thanks

Did it lock open using heavier loads?

Also I noticed when my dad shot it it failed to open every time. When I shot it no problem. He was letting the gun rock him back pretty hard. Try to lock into the gun and don't let the recoil move you back. That did the trick got my dad.

Also I noticed when my dad shot it it failed to open every time. When I shot it no problem. He was letting the gun rock him back pretty hard. Try to lock into the gun and don't let the recoil move you back. That did the trick for my dad.

Was shooting high powered slugs and buckshot and I was leaning into it pretty good. Its weird, I tried it manually by opening the top cover and inserting the mag and locks back on it everytime even my SGM mag. The next thing im gonna do is im going to try to very carefully manually cycle a magazine full of rounds to simulate firing and see if that makes a difference. It seems pretty simple, it has a detent that presses down on the magazine follower that actuates the hold open. Its one metal piece that runs along the side of the reciever and comes out at the bolt release. The only thing I could think of is its binding up with the sear/hammer spring leg/cable where it runs along the inside of the reciever. Perhaps bending that out of the way? Or is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks

Edited by asdaven

Tried to get a pic of it. This is with the hammer decocked but its more apparent when the hammer is cocked. Im talking about the long run of spring leg/cable that runs next to the bolt hold open actuating piece. The spring leg and bolt hold open piece are rubbing against each other. Potentially enough probably to bind it up. Sorry if im not being clear, dont know what to call everything. The arrows are pointing to the spring leg im talking about. And the bolt hold open runs along the reciever there. It actually add some "grit" in the trigger pull as it rubs past the bolt hold open.

post-49351-0-34862400-1402179944_thumb.png

That is the hammer spring. You can bend it so it has less or no tension on the Bho lever.

Grab it while installed like it is, with a pair of needle nose pliers and give it a twist until satisfied.

Edited by Mullet Man

Initially my bolt hold open lever was binding on the hammer spring also. I used the same method as Mullet Man suggested and twisted the spring. No need to remove anything. It has been fine ever since.

My rod has zero play in the bolt carrier. It does have exposed threads though.

Edited by c7aea