How would you guys set up a 24inch saiga,skeet hunting,home defence?

Hello all

I've finally worked out all the bugs on my 24 inch saiga 12 and wow it's cycles the low brass cheap stuff great. Now that that's all good I'm looking for Ideas how to set up my shotgun. It already has a poly choke on it since I was planning to shoot some skeet from time to time. Any ideas or pictures would be helpfull

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by greekjeep

I shoot clays with the S12 in my avatar and I can aim through a door and open it without having to change my aim or lower the barrel, So, 6.5" is hard to beat for clearing a home quickly. Of course, it is much better for clearing a home than it is for shooting clays. It is hard to get everything out of one weapon. It will usually do one thing great and do others marginally.

Seriously, I would chop that thing down to 18.25" and thread internally for Rem Chokes. I could hit clays more consistently with one of my 18" S12s (with no choke) than with either of my 24" S12s. 24" and PC sounds like the way to go for clays, but it didn't translate to reality when shooting, for me at least. I don't hit well if I can see the barrel when I bring the weapon up. I am a point shooter and rarely look at sights, so it may not work the same for you.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I have really struggled to find anyone who will internally thread Cromlined barrel. I am no gunsmith but I looked up the barrel requirements for minimum ID and OD. And even with the external standard Russian thread it looked to me like there was enough material left also internally thread rem choke. As some would say that would be the "bees knees"as you have your muzzle break/Hider/comp/breacher for the form and function, and the performance/ease of availability of an appropriate screw-in choke with no additional length. Has anyone done this?

If the barrel was too thin, you could bore out the comp, silver soldier. Then have full barrel wall thickness.

People have said that there is not enough thickness to thread the inside and outside, even though you can find some standards that show that it is possible using "thin wall" chokes.  But that doesn't mean that it's a good idea.  Better yet is the idea of threading for internal chokes and boring out your muzzle device so you can change chokes with an extended wrench.

As far as finding someone to thread the barrel because it is chrome lined, that is not a problem.  Anybody who threads a barrel can do it.

One more thing is, make your overall barrel length 18.01"

post-1629-0-35101400-1401859172_thumb.jpg  post-1629-0-32725100-1401859173_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have really struggled to find anyone who will internally thread Cromlined barrel. I am no gunsmith but I looked up the barrel requirements for minimum ID and OD. And even with the external standard Russian thread it looked to me like there was enough material left also internally thread rem choke. As some would say that would be the "bees knees"as you have your muzzle break/Hider/comp/breacher for the form and function, and the performance/ease of availability of an appropriate screw-in choke with no additional length. Has anyone done this?

If the barrel was too thin, you could bore out the comp, silver soldier. Then have full barrel wall thickness.

This is one area where the V12 has an advantage over the S12. The ID is perfect for a smooth transition from bore to Rem Choke and the OD is about .030" larger than the minimum OD requirement. I can't help but wonder of Molot spec'd the ID and OD with internal chokes in mind. Molot's Bekas and Tukan shotguns makes me think it was either what they had in mind or it had to do with what they were already set up to manufacture in regards to the forged barrels.

This is one area where the V12 has an advantage over the S12. The ID is perfect for a smooth transition from bore to Rem Choke and the OD is about .030" larger than the minimum OD requirement. I can't help but wonder of Molot spec'd the ID and OD with internal chokes in mind. Molot's Bekas and Tukan shotguns makes me think it was either what they had in mind or it had to do with what they were already set up to manufacture in regards to the forged barrels.
Is that with or wo O.D.threads.
  • 2 weeks later...

These are hammer forged barrels, and as such the barrel is not always concentric with the bore. Internal chokes should be superior. It is a lot more likely to be perfectly concentric with the bore. It is amazing what is out there to screw into  a 12ga barrel!

The extra length over an 18" gun is minimal.  You have more dwell time to run lighter loads, maybe the balance if you like it.  But contrary to what some of you believe, the extra length DOES NOT promote more velocity or accuracy, unless you have a front bead sight at the end of the barrel.

This is why duck, geese guns have longer barrels, is for more sight radius and that is the only reason.  Shotgun powder is the same as pistol powder and has a very fast burn rate.  You have reached maximum burn/velocity at about 8 inches with the majority of the powders out there on the market.

Same with the rifles, after 26 inches there is no appreciative gain, except for the Iron Sight shooters and again, that is for more sight radius such as PALMA shooters.  According to the smart guys at Krieger, the barrel starts to create more friction after 30 inches than gain.  But rifle powders have a slower burn rate than shotgun powders and powders are chosen specifically for their burn rates, especially with the longer barrels.

I know some of you will argue that it does have more velocity with the longer barrel and you are talking out your ass:)  If you don't own a chronograph or chrono your own ammunition you will never be able to achieve the full potential of your firearms/ammunition and you would have chronographed your shotgun loads and know there is no velocity gain with a longer barrel.

The chrono doesn't lie!!!!

Jack

Reaming/threading a chrome lined barrel is no big deal and no the Saiga barrels do not have enough wall thickness to thread both the inside for Rem Chokes and thread on the outside.  I don't know about some of the other really thin wall chokes out there, as I only us Rem Chokes, but I seriously doubt it.

I silver solder the brake if there is to be a muzzle brake/device added to the shotgun after choke installation.

Jack

I'de love the 24" gun for what it is.

I have 2 19" S-12s and a 24" S-12. I specifically went out of my way to get the 24" barrel with plans for krebs sights to give me a very nice sight radius for waterfowl.

Mine runs krebs sights, poly choke, the receiver is slant cut and it wears Vepr furniture.