I was at a gun show recently and I traded an assortment of used brass I had collected on my last few trips to the range for 100 rounds of surplus 7.62x51. When I got home I loaded the mag for my S308 and tried to chamber a round only to find that the round wouldn't fully chamber, it got stuck right before the extraction lip. Here are some pics, the stamp on the case says 7.62-C, Is this a different caliber all together?

post-48709-0-84881800-1401830055_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-45768000-1401830096_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-03920300-1401830120_thumb.jpg

I found the following from a web search, this is from another forum so I won't post the link;

I believe Spain made only 7.62 CETME ammunition until 1964. I believe 1964 would be the first year that Spain produced 7.62 NATO so I suspect 1962 Santa Barbara 7.62 would be 7.62 CETME ammunition and not 7.62 NATO. This may be why it is marked "7.62-c." Spain attempted to make 7.62 NATO ammunition in 1961 but had problems with the cases and didn't get everything sorted out until 1964.
  • Like 2

Yea that sounds about right, it says cetme on the box but no where does it say NATO, just 7.62mm which I thought to mean 7.62x51. I told the guy I wanted .308 and he gave me this, sneaky son of a bitch. It was the last hour of the last day of show so he knew he could fuck me because he knew he would be gone by the time I figured it out. My own fault I suppose, should have been more diligent.

Yea that sounds about right, it says cetme on the box but no where does it say NATO, just 7.62mm which I thought to mean 7.62x51. I told the guy I wanted .308 and he gave me this, sneaky son of a bitch. It was the last hour of the last day of show so he knew he could fuck me because he knew he would be gone by the time I figured it out. My own fault I suppose, should have been more diligent.

Yeah.....I quit going to shows several years ago, sorry that happened to you. I have cultivated a relationship with the folks at a small local shop where I live, now I can get just about anything I want, and the prices aint bad.

I did just snoop Gun Broker a bit and it seems the very few 7.62-C items are pretty expensive. Looks like this guy doesn't know the difference between NATO and C either.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=420169182

I accidentally bought a 100 pack of 20ga instead of 12ga once because I was in a hurry and it was mixed in with the 12ga... I'm planning on buying a $99 single shot 20ga to keep in the shed or garage. Turning my own frown upside down! smile.png Another gun is almost never the wrong answer and I get to make jokes about how my shotgun is less scary than Biden's "high capacity" model...

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

I thought "SB" might have stood for "Sellier & Bellot", but it's actually "Santa Barbara" ammo for Fusil de Asalto CETME.  According to this, there was a 7.9mm CETME, but that was sort of superceded by what would become 7.62 NATO.  So, my guess is that it is 7.62x51mm.

Edited by DrThunder88