15rd S308 mags - round gouging

Have a couple of these, seem to be the new design with curved lips vs the more right angle of the old style.

Seems either the spring is strong enough or the rounds are riding high enough  to cause problems with third lug, which was polished long ago, so the old gouging problem is back.

It is bad enough to prevent loading at 15 and 14 rds. Not to mention what is happening to some expensive brass.

Not sure doing any more work on the lug is advisable so what I am thinking is to reduce the tension as the mags work fine at 13 rds.

So how much spring would you remove or am I off on the wrong tangent?

Probably four coils.. I used to trim them, but a few people made a fuss about it a couple years ago so I stopped taking the extra time to cut them.

The 10 rd mags get a half spring, otherwise its a real pain to load them. So that is the logical way of going about it.

The extra spring improves function if the mags are filthy, and your running steel cased.. But if your keeping your stuff clean and running brass then I highly suggest reducing the spring to save the brass.

The round feed lips set the rounds about .10", which makes feeding smoother but can cause more gouging with brass cased, especially with a full length spring.

Another thing to help fully loaded function is to take some of the follower stop off.. Its tight for ban states, but you can trim it for a little extra wiggle room.

post-2952-0-19530000-1401855032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1